NGD: one-trick pony

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I absolutely love my M80M, but this... this is GLORIOUS.

Never had an issue with breaking the high E (or any string) on mine.

The other thing you need to watch is that the locking nut (unless it's a different material on the M8M) is made of fairly rubbish cast metal and if you do up the locking screws too tight, you can tear out the threaded part of the nut. Ask me how I know. :wallbash:

I was lucky to get away with finding some longer screws with the same thread that were able to go deep enough to catch the remaining thread in the nut. So yeah, another reason to be careful with that locking nut.

Enjoy the guitar! It's a work of art in its own right.
I found a suitable replacement at ACE hardware, should have written down # and length. Bought them just in case but so far I have been really lucky.
Not to highjack this thread, but are your saddle screw rusty? Mine are very oxidized. Drives me insane even though it doesn’t matter.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I hope you wind up with one!
Total tangent here - do you still have the dark burst intrepid?
I do, how do you know about it?

EDIT: omg it was you! You sold it to me, I'm so sorry for forgetting.
But yes, absolutely, I still have it! After all that trouble of getting it shipped over, I would never just sell it lmao.

Last edited:

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I do, how do you know about it?

EDIT: omg it was you! You sold it to me, I'm so sorry for forgetting.
But yes, absolutely, I still have it! After all that trouble of getting it shipped over, I would never just sell it lmao.
No worries! It was so long ago, I totally understand. That’s awesome you still have it.

I hope you get many more years out of it!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
On paper, this guitar shouldn't work at all. It's got a neck profile so wide, flat, and shouldery (is that a word?) it almost feels rectangular. It's basically a 2x4 up past the 15th fret. The finish feels almost grainy under the hand, like a chunk of graphite. The scale length actively fights you and laughs at your pathetic attempts to do dad-bends. Oh you want to change the strings? Better get out your allen wrench and some ativan for when you break the high E three times in a row. And you better be FUCKING CAREFUL because those hex screws to lock the strings at the bridge WILL shear off if your idiot gorilla hands put too much torque on them.

And yet. AND YET!
I have been on a Koloss kick lately. I have played lots of 8 strings, always feeling the RG2228 was a touch short at 27. It was hard to get the M80m not to sound like a bass through the little guitar tech bench solid state combo I was using. But, after listening to so much Meshuggah over the decades, I have been itching to grab an M80m to give it another spin.
It was the breaking high E strings that caused me to get rid of my m80m.... yet I still want one of these because of the reasons
Use an 8 gauge on the highest string? Tune to F standard? Tune to EADGCFAD?
One-trick pony, nah. You can do so many things with this thing. Catch 33, ObZen, TVSoR, the list goes on!
Maybe even some Koloss. DEI and Chosphere will work too, just skip that big string!
Tune lower.
This times thirty-three!

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Playing one of these is on my bucket list. I hope to own one eventually.

Congratulations!

Latest posts