NGD Jericho Ignition: Fusion 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by cip 123, Oct 18, 2018.

1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

TL;DR - Cheap guitar, great specs, good quality, beats majority of the competition in the new market.

Specs - Basswood body, 3pc bolt on maple neck, Macassar ebony board, 27", medium jumbo frets, Hipshot bridge, Grover locking tuners, stock Jericho pup with 3 way toggle - Full/Split/Killswitch

So, if you know me on here you'll know the main two brands I talk about on here are Schecter (mainly the custom shop) and Jericho, so small disclaimer I really do like Jericho as a brand and think they're one of the best import companies out there right now. That being said I will try to be as unbiased as possible. However feel free to skip this to the pics.

But there's really nothing bad to say about this guitar, and I don't like getting ripped off so I would definitely raise any issues I found. I've ordered a Jericho Fusion before so I'll compare my experiences of both as well.

I was looking for a 27" scale 7 string for a new project, and cheaply as I didn't wanna drop too much when saving for other things. Overall this cost me £644 (That's $599/£456 from Jericho + $100/£76 shipping, and £112 in customs tax) . To put this in to perspective it's competition here in the UK at £6-700 is mainly the Ibanez RDGIX7 (You know that blue one with the burl and the bevels). That's 26.5 which doesn't interest me. The Jackson Misha Jugg which again doesn't interest me and isn't 27". In fact there aren't really any 27" unless you go used I saw a Ibanez 2077xl for just over £700 here. Just trying to put it in perspective for everyone because I think this is still a great deal even with customs taxes.

The guitar arrived very well packaged, double boxed with plenty of bubble wrap, this is actually something I raised with Jericho when I received my last one, that it was only shipped in the regular guitar box with not much protection. So glad they're listening.

Build quality - nothing bad to say really, the pickup route is clean, cleaner than my last Jericho, everything is where it should be, no wobbles, the toggle switch seems strong and high quality. No sharp fret ends, very smooth, no tarnishing or dirt, it was setup to my tuning. And came with ernie ball strings (Or the little tag at least). Bonus points for the un-dyed ebony board, I like seeing the colour on there. Personal preference I suppose.

Finish - The finishing is fairly good it does have a small surface crack right in the back, but it's very small and hard to photograph. The "Binding" or masked off binding is very clean no bleed however, you can feel the transition of paint on the back in to the binding pretty much all the way round. The only other mark would be on the bridge under the intonation on the low string you can see the scrapes where it's been tightened to intonate the low G. Not really bothered, it'd happen anyway. It looks as if they've sprayed over the ends of the frets too, it seems to help hide the fret ends, but I can feel the transition of paint etc, I'll try to get some pics later. Not a big deal in my eyes.

Sound - Better than most, will still probably swap the pickup. I'd do this on any guitar really so it's not a big deal for me. It's an okay pickup but a little bass heavy, and it doesn't really inspire me too much, does sound nice split though I'll give it that.

Playability - action is a little higher on the low side than my previous Jericho but I assume it was done to accommodate the lower tuning/thicker strings, I'll probably fiddle with it later but overall it plays really nicely, a better experience than most new Ibanez's I've owned and played. The neck is a little thick if you're thinking about going for this. I played a Jericho Edge the other week and it had a slimmer neck, it must be this Fusion design, it does feel thicker, but I don't mind that I'll be playing some hard riffs on it anyway, so nice to have something to grab on to.

Overall - Really happy with how this one came, I'm trying to to look at everything since I know I go on about this company sometimes, but I really can't see anything wrong with this guitar for the price. If it cost me £1000+ yea I'd be annoyed about the tiny crack on the back or the finish transitions. But for £600 it's beating half the competition over here in the UK on specs, and those guitars will have the same issues probably. The only way you'll beat this over hear is if you go used and get a great deal, Schecter Banshee elite, Ibanez Prestige, but even then you'll be hard pressed in the UK used market if you want a 27" 7.

I've still to spend some proper time with this guitar and break it in but I'm really happy with this so far, it's a solid guitar for a great price. I'll update with some more pics later after work. Any questions fire them my way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flush Ferrules I just thought this was a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

What gauge of strings are using (especially on the lowest string)? Nice guitar, by the way!

Albake21, cip 123 and Mathemagician like this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Issa shoelace.

And great looking guitar. Always cool to see classic shapes with modern specs.

cip 123 likes this.
  4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Not a clue, as I look at it, it looks pretty thick haha. I usually use pretty thin strings on the low so that could actually be why I think it sounds too bassy.

I'll check later!

5. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

What gauge is that cat? I need to change mine :lol:

Been tempted to try one of these. HNGD

6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

For £640 that looks good. And much better packed than my Jericho too, and the overall quality and finishing standard looks better too. HNGD!

7. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I wanted one of these but I couldn't think of a bridge pickup that would give me the cleans I wanted. Looks great! Happy NGD

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

How much will you actually be using it for cleans though?

I'm playing this as metal rhythm pretty much 100% of the time

9. LeviathanKiller

A lot
    Quite a lot actually. I'm on pure clean tones 1/3 of the time I'd say

10. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I have a regular Fusion 7 with the Nazgul/Sentinent combo. All mahogany neck and body. I absolutely love it. Its solid, and sounds amazing. Its probably the cheapest of the guitars I own and it somehow sounds better than most of them, definitely my best sounding 7 string at the moment. Jericho is great for the money. Happy to see more Jericho players!

11. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I have a Jericho Edge Premium 6 Baritone and it's a really sick guitar. Holds up fairly well compared to my Japanese and American guitars.

cip 123 likes this.
  12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They definitely challenge the big brands imo. Very tempted buy the Elite 8 Ignition.

13. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

@cip 123

Why didn't you go with one of SD or DiMarzio options?

14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I'm from the UK so I really didn't want to add any extra cost.

Plus the options aren't really that great for me personally. I don't really like the d'activator, I very much don't like the nazgul.

The stock pup is working fine just now, still to change the strings for thinner on the bass end to correct the bass heaviness though.

Carl Kolchak and LeviathanKiller like this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I kept seeing Jericho ads on my Facebook newsfeed. The stock pictures made them look sweet but in the flesh, that looks awesome!!

Nice score @cip 123

16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

@lewis I've had only positive experiences with them, but others have had negative ones.

Still hard to find much competition for the price of the ignition series in the UK here.

lewis likes this.
  17. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

For a second I thought you laid it bare on that pavement I actually shuddered a bit lol... I was like nooooo what's he doing to that gorgeous finish?!?

HNGD dude it looks awesome! Never heard of these guys up until now, gonna need to pay closer attention.

18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Jericho is making some quality stuff. Enjoy!

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

An update for anyone who stumbles across this and is interested.

After swapping out for some thinner strings and playing the stock humbucker is still bass heavy and lacking a good bit of balls.

It'd be alright for recording with a good bass/mix but overall you'll probably want to swap it out.

20. LeviathanKiller

And this is just the Jericho stock pickup, right? Not one of the brand name offerings they occasionally have.

cip 123 likes this.