NGD: Ibanez M80M

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BananaDemocracy, May 11, 2019.

If you played the 2228 and M80m, which neck profile/feel did you prefer?

1. M80m

2. 2228

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

I see most people post their GAS and aquisitions, and it was only fitting because I started and ended here with the Ibanez M80M w/OHSC. I kind of joined for the 7620, but fell seriously into GAS syndrome because of this particular guitar, and I accidentally found one for the price I said that if I found it for, I would buy it and thats the end of it.classified section had one and this thing is near new. I mean, I couldn’t even find the SINGLE tiny little flaw mentioned in the ad, until the second day when I had it on oblique angel, and its not even there to the eye. I couldn’t be happier, its in better condition than some axes you pull off the wall.

First impression is IMPRESSIVE. It’s big. Literally, and most likely, the biggest guitar Ive ever seen or played. It doesn’t seem that way in the pics and videos because of the sleek black uniform look, but it feels very much like a standard bass. I almost thought to myself THIS is an ERG - a real hybrid of a bass and electric.

Bridge: I love the FX-III Edge. I think this thing is the best, most stable fixed bridge ever. I love the look, and the feel. It’s a huge selling point, and I think if anyone is a hard tail fan, and they’ve ever debated or fell on the fence because of tuning issues, this bridge makes that a non issue. Only bridge i found to be more stable is like a steinberger from 1984.

Pickup(s): HA! Only 1. And you know which one it is, right??! THE ONLY DJENT PICKUP THERE IS, WAS, An EVER WILL BE! THE MESHUGGAH M8(P)! Now the P stands for plastic because its not hand made, but if Max doesn’t tell the difference then I cant either! I LOVE the pickup. I am new to this but if you want a metal pickup and you downtune, this is seriously the most destructive pickup on The plant. I cant tell what I love more the pickup or the bridge. Also, there is only 1 pickup position. So the tone knob and volume are everything, which is something new to me, and pretty interesting to note - what happens when you have 1 vol, 1 tone, 1 pup....but so much tonal options, you start thinking differently about the fretboard (so that answers my first question? at least I learned!)

Body: The body is ash, and beautiful. It is the nicest, prettiest (not to sound ehhhhhhhhh like a girl), but i like to look at it. I think you can see in the pic what a gorgeous grain the ASh is, very similar to Oak visually. I dont know if the treatment or what, but its a beautiful finish and feel. I love natural wood and this one is my favorite, definitely because its black and whetheered on top of the natural grain!!! So beautiful really, and for such a brutal guitar meant for damage and pain!

Fretboard: I love this Reddish black-brown. Ive never heard of this or seen this wood used and I am so happy to be surprised with the ASh body with this fretboard. Great complement, and without the inlays i think they couldn’t have made a better pair. It’s really nice and it feels nice to the touch. I usually prefer maple, OR ebony, but this is a new favorite.

Neck: Another defining feature. The scale, along with the headstock design make this guitar SO long. I sort of wish they did a kind of Strindberg steinberger headless thing at this point, and that’s the aesthetic gripe. I just think if you have a 29.5” long scale neck, lose or minimize the headstock. It’s almost like the 2228 neck, almost, but something is a little off to me. I dont know what felt perfect about 2228 neck, but thats the ONLY thing i could/would try adjusting. IDK if I WOULD, of course

The profile is slightly more robust than the 2228, but after playing the guitar for 2.5 days, and thinking about the 2228 and scale, i think this profile makes more sense on an 8 string guitar. My trials of 8 strings is admittedly limited, but I think the 2228 is one of the best 8’s because its one of the best guitars ive ever played....you know Ibanez quality when they come out with something high end, they never disappoint.

With the strings under such tension, the resonsnace and the overall feel of the “strum” is very “satisfying.” If anyone shoots, its similar to pulling the trigger and making your mark., because i feels like your dropping a sonic hammer. I am getting into downtuned music more with this because I can feel the power of the drop. Something new everyday , yes?

Conclusion Ive read conflicting reviews, but its a very consistent extreme polar thing really. People either LOVE this axe or CANNOT play it. I think its fair to call it an ERB as much as ERG, and it makes me wonder how traditional 25.5” scale came to be a standard. (I never noticed so much variation in electric guitar scale lengths until joining here but its an important thing that guitarists overlook)

Also I saw some quality control issues, that I didn’t see here. I thought I read it was a “prestige” but apparently not actually? It’s weird, its a $1500 Ibanez, which puts it in the entry level or bottom shelf of their high end stuff, and it looks and feels that way...to me anyway. I’m not sure what the other people didnt like about the guitar (except maybe the size, and they didnt want to say that was the issue, because honestly, if you are tiny, this isnt going to work...I’m sure you’ll find a way to make it work or adjust, but its just not meant to be comfortable ...its just so big, and thats why I knock over the flower vase everytime I walk down the hall with the case)

I was a skeptic, and not a cynic. I wasn’t sure it was possible for me to find the M80m at a price i was comfortable to try, but i was truly lucky joingin when I did. I lost my 7620, and the credit fell through on the majesty, but this worked out perfectly, and maybe for good Reason. I found I could be happy with something I didn’t expect and also something I had a bit of a confused idea of in my head.

Final thought: IF you are into Meshuggah or periphery or downtuned playing, and you are looking for an 8 string Metal guitar, I honestly dont think you can find a better all around “deal,” for THAT purpose. It is an extreme/math metal rhythm guitar, period! (IMHO) Nothing more, nothing less - and it is the most intense in your face signature i can think of. Like the Majesty is the nicest/most elegant and sophisticated custom signtuare Ive ever played, but this signature is GENRE defining. [paired with the OHSC, its a beautiful impression when you unbox it, you wont be disappointed for sure!]

3991FF42-321F-4CA8-8BFF-30C54DA9607B.jpeg F8152DA6-64BE-452D-9E4A-6EC4481A958F.jpeg
    *If anyone decides to get the guitar after deliberating, and this review tipped you, I’d love to know ;)

Attached Files:

2. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Congrats, great guitar!
    I love mine and I'm never selling it.
    There's no guitar out there that can do the same things.
    Mine's not flawless but it's a great instrument none the less.

MerlinTKD and BananaDemocracy like this.
  3. BananaDemocracy

Thank you Jon :D

I’m actually liking it more and more, the more I play it. It’s not the kind of guitar that falls into your lap and sits nicely, you gotta tame this beast. I don’t mind putting in the work, as long as that sound continues to impress! As you said, no other guitar CAN do the same thing sonically. I found, this guitar is the kind to really hit you when you hear the recording track. It feels good and it sounds good, and when you play live youre thinking, this is going to impale...but then you hear the recording and it’s BETTER than the live playing. At least to me...

On top of that, my FM3 will be out in a few months, and Ill be hellbent on recording a lot more, all in part thanks to the 8 string experiment

If you dont mind, since you own one as well, can you chime in about the neck? Thats the only point I really have slight issue with. I think the neck should’ve gotten a little more attention, but you mentioned its not “flawless,” did you mean in respect to QC or something else? Thank you

MerlinTKD and Guitarjon like this.
  4. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The neck on mine feels pretty good but it's not super thin.
    However, the thickness compares pretty well against my Prestige 7-string so I don't think it's too far off from a Prestige.
    The 6-string Prestiges tend to have way skinnier necks though but for an 8-string this feels just fine.
    I used to own an RG2228 years ago but it's so long ago that I don't really remember how that neck felt.

Some of the issues that I had when I just got this guitar is that the nut was a little too low so I shimmed that myself.
    There was also one fret that was just a tad too high so I filed that down.
    The bridge also won't go as low as I'd prefer it to but it's not a biggie since it's already low enough to feel comfortable.
    Other than that it's a really good guitar and it sounds monstrous!

MerlinTKD and BananaDemocracy like this.
  5. BananaDemocracy

Jon, that’s a good point. Haven’t played the 2228 in a while and I forget if this is actually closer than I am recalling, and I think it is. The extra 2.5” is actually what’s making the slight robustness more pronounced but a lovely feel.

I wouldn’t thought there might be more M80M owners here, now I feel specialERG initiated lol

6. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

I have both and the RG2228 feels thinner with less shoulder. I actually prefer the more pronounced shoulders on the M80M but get along with both.

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  7. BananaDemocracy

That shoulder makes all the difference, I agree

8. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Rg2228 owner here and all my GAS is pointed to that M80M...

9. Crescendo

Crescendo SS.org Regular

The bridge is really bad in reality, having owned this guitar for four years. Not because of tuning stability issues but the saddle units might break after a month, usually within one year, and they're expensive. And not even easily available. I ordered a couple from some obscure American website and only a few stores in Europe sell them.

10. BananaDemocracy

That’s literally not only the first I’ve ever heard or read about that, but that’s also a non issue for me

This bridge is perfect, just like the neck!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  11. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

There's two versions I believe, the one used on the 2228, M8, M80M etc and a cheaper unit they used on the RGA8.

12. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

My RG2228 is from 2010 and has never had an issue with the saddles, so unless they used a cheaper version of the bridge on this guitar I wouldn't worry about it.

13. BananaDemocracy

That’s right. There was a cheap version it seems. Well this NGD was perfect for me, and it seems according to all the good feedback, the unanimous poll , and positive reviews that I made the right choice ! Thanks for all the kind words all!!

Off to enjoy the M80M and, the new, Axe Fx III!!!!

Peace brethren

14. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Glad you are very happy with the guitar. Was kinda worried you might not be, with it being your first 8.

15. Crescendo

Crescendo SS.org Regular

It's not because of the "version" of the bridge (M80M is excluded anyway because the cheaper one was on the RGA8), like I said it's the saddles themselves; when you order new ones, they're going to have that same vulnerability issue. I'm not saying "don't feel good about the guitar you've bought", I'm saying if you're an active player and not someone who never does anything with the guitar anyway and replaces strings like twice a year, you should know this in advance. Also there are different units for different strings so make sure you order the correct ones. 2ED2C2B1 is for 1st, 2nd, 7th and 8th strings, 2ED2C2B2 for 3rd and 6th, and 2ED2C2B3 for 4th and 5th. These product numbers are for black units. You could just as well buy gold ones or chrome for instance if you want a customized look. You'll find the product numbers and pictures for them at https://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm#Trem_Parts (scroll down to Edge 3 Saddle)

16. BananaDemocracy

Gary you made my year guitar wise!!! I loved the 2228 but this neck is even better!read the review , it’s a 9.5/10 for me!

stinkoman likes this.
  17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Congrats!!!
    The M80M has been my main guitar for the last 4 years. I can’t recommend it highly enough to anyone looking at an 8-string.