NGD (I just don't know when to quit)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by broj15, Jun 3, 2019.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

The gear God's have been kind to my collection (and very hard on my wallet) this week.
    I saw this Vantage VS600 pop up on reverb and couldn't check out fast enough. I first played a vantage years ago when my friend inherited one from his uncle and I was blown away by the quality and feel of the guitar. I decided to buy the one on reverb hoping I'd have the same experience with it and I was not disappointed.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a group shot with the rest of the family
    [​IMG]

Here's the specs for anyone who cares

- 3 piece bolt on mahogany neck
    - mahogany & maple body
    - 25.5" scale
    - volume/tone & either a phase or coil tap switch, I'm not entirely sure.

It looks like the tuners were replaced with modern gotoh & the bridge doesn't appear to be original either (i'd expect more corrosion if it were considering this guitar is ~40 years old).

First impressions are good. The neck feels amazing. About as thick as my aria, but with a nice flat spot on the back, which is super comfortable for me. The string spacing also feels a bit wider than the aria which is perfect for my clumsy fingers. There's some dents n dings on the body as expected but the frets show very little wear considering how old the guitar is. I'm assuming the pickups are original. Only discernable markings are "SF" stamped on the baseplate and what looks like a "T" etched onto each of the bobbins. Either way they sound great. Relatively low output with lots of articulation, and they clean up nicely when you roll off the volume knob.

Both this guitar and my aria were made in the matsumoku factory in the same era (late 70's-mid 80's) and they both slay for the money. The neck pocket on the vantage is super tight (can't even fit a sheet of paper in there) and the truss rod seems to have held up well. For those that don't know the matsumoku factory started out as a high end furniture factory and then was eventually started making guitars in the 60's iirc, with Aria being thier in house brand and then building guitars for many other companies such as Vantage, Tokai, etc. I've gotten to spend time with several instruments to come out of this factory, and I've yet to come across a true dud (just a couple that had been neglected and needed some TLC). I'd say if you ever come across a guitar or bass that was made there and you like the feel and specs then BUY IT. Id put them on par with almost any pre-prestige MIJ ibby. If you're looking for a guitar with a vintage style look, but a little more unique then the big name manufacturers these old MIJ guitars are a good place to look.

2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Classy. Congrats!

broj15 likes this.
  3. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Maaaannnnn that thing is killer. Whats the neck profile on it like? Looks kinda thin from the pictures

4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Not sure about an exact measurement, but I'd say it's definitely thinner than a fender, but for sure beefier than an ibanez. As I said, it has a nice flat spot on the back of the neck that makes it feel thinner/play faster than what it actually is.