NGD: Fractal FM3

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys, I got a new job and I can now afford an upgrade from the Pod Go. Trying to be objective as possible, would the FM3 be a massive upgrade in sound quality/feel? I'm very, very happy with the Pod Go, but it's definitely a compromise because it was all I could afford at the time. It could be a grass is greener thing; I'm not looking to spend the money if the difference between the two isn't significant.

No, especially if you are already very very happy with the pod go. You have GAS.

I had a helix before getting an AxeFx. I prefer the UI, sound and the feel of the AxeFx but with the right IRs the line 6 kit is excellent too.
The feel and sound thing is subjective, only you can answer if it is worth it.

One stand out thing for me with the fractal gear is the number and frequency of updates. That is something the competition don't do in my experience

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mr Deadpool or Budda....if you want to play the FM3 with a Real Cab /Poweramp all you do is go in AxEdit and go to setup and disable / turn off power amp and cab block correct ?

Thats it ?

Mike

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Mr Deadpool or Budda....if you want to play the FM3 with a Real Cab /Poweramp all you do is go in AxEdit and go to setup and disable / turn off power amp and cab block correct ?

Thats it ?

Mike

And bypass the cab block in your preset/make sure your routing is correct. Try both ways though, you may like it with power amp modelling on.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It's also going to depend on the kind of power amp you're using. I've been playing around with putting it through the fx return of tube amps, and it does sound good this way, but most presets end up getting kinda over-cooked if you leave the poweramp sim on. IMO it's ok-ish for cleans that way, but any gain starts sounding kinda gnarly, and not in a great way. BUT if you're using a solid state amp, a PA amp, etc - something other than a tube amp - you probably want that poweramp sim to be still on, and might want to go as far as tweaking the values in the speaker page - see the video posted a page or two ago by that Leon guy who seems to be 90% of the Fractal content on youtube for some reason.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Thats it ?

Mike

Like @budda said, disable the cab block as you’ll almost certainly want that off. You never know until you try it though—some few people actually like it on even through a real cab.

The power amp is much less certain whether you’ll want it on or off. I suggest trying it both ways with a few different amp models to see what you prefer. I typically leave mine on.

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys....i Did Not like it with the power amp disabled...ill try it enabled later this morning

I did fade out the cab block...Im playing it Stereo with the Velocity 300 but i have other Tube stereo power amps to play thru ...including a matrix i can borrow

I spent a few hours with the Power amp off and was ugh...yesterday

I was playing the FM3 thru my Adam7's and Adam8 sub, on my desk.....i want to migrate or incorporate it into my rack or play stand alone stereo....I did try leons way of the Effects loop method aka 4CM. with a head...i didnt care for it...i really havent given the FM3 much love since i bought it from a friend back when they came out...so i guess its time for the head scratching to begin...its a windy chilly day here in Fl....so

LOL

Thanks again for the reply's guys !

Mike

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys....i Did Not like it with the power amp disabled...ill try it enabled later this morning

I did fade out the cab block...Im playing it Stereo with the Velocity 300 but i have other Tube stereo power amps to play thru ...including a matrix i can borrow

I spent a few hours with the Power amp off and was ugh...yesterday

I was playing the FM3 thru my Adam7's and Adam8 sub, on my desk.....i want to migrate or incorporate it into my rack or play stand alone stereo....I did try leons way of the Effects loop method aka 4CM. with a head...i didnt care for it...i really havent given the FM3 much love since i bought it from a friend back when they came out...so i guess its time for the head scratching to begin...its a windy chilly day here in Fl....so

LOL

Thanks again for the reply's guys !

Mike

Hmmm. Are you talking about different setups within single sentences?

The Velocity 300 is a solid state power amp isn’t it? And Matrix makes solid state amps too as far as I know. There’s no reason to turn power amp modeling off with those. What tube power amps do you have?

Also, I didn’t see you mention any real/traditional guitar cab. If you aren’t using a real guitar cab, you won’t like cab modeling off.

Whether or not 4CM or running straight into an amp’s FX loop sounds good depends a lot on the amp you’re using. Some FX loops sound great, others sound quite meh (and of course it’s very subjective as well, I love my FM9 through my EVH but someone else might hate it).

Leon makes great Fractal content but he did one thing in his 4CM video that kinda bugs me—he used an XLR to TRS cable. Now that can work but that’s very dependent on what amp you’re using. What you really want to use is an XLR to TS cable. The manual very specifically mentions this and does so in bold print. A number of people have followed Leon’s method and had problems like getting no sound, crackling, and weak sound. Switching to the correct cable usually solves those issues.

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmmm. Are you talking about different setups within single sentences?

The Velocity 300 is a solid state power amp isn’t it? And Matrix makes solid state amps too as far as I know. There’s no reason to turn power amp modeling off with those. What tube power amps do you have?

Also, I didn’t see you mention any real/traditional guitar cab. If you aren’t using a real guitar cab, you won’t like cab modeling off.

Whether or not 4CM or running straight into an amp’s FX loop sounds good depends a lot on the amp you’re using. Some FX loops sound great, others sound quite meh (and of course it’s very subjective as well, I love my FM9 through my EVH but someone else might hate it).

Leon makes great Fractal content but he did one thing in his 4CM video that kinda bugs me—he used an XLR to TRS cable. Now that can work but that’s very dependent on what amp you’re using. What you really want to use is an XLR to TS cable. The manual very specifically mentions this and does so in bold print. A number of people have followed Leon’s method and had problems like getting no sound, crackling, and weak sound. Switching to the correct cable usually solves those issues.

Yes...the Velocity300 is solid state, Stereo power amps are Mesa 2:90 and i bought a Carvin TS100 when they were blowing them out...thats a nice flat response tube amp vs the Mesa 2:90....Tom Morris wants me to buy his Matrix , i mean sure ill try it and check it out but

Tom from the fractal forum is my guitar buddy since 82ish...man , im dating myself ...we done a shootout with different Poweramps thru my Mesa412 like in 2016 i couldn't hear the difference tube vs solidstate..maybe in feel ...i believe we left the Power amp modeling on like i done today...anyways...Tom dials in the best Effects and tones that sound great in a mix...he has that ear...he gigs a lot

Poweramp modeling done the trick...sounds good thru the Velocity300 with the power amp modeling ON vs OFF like i had yesterday.. one thing i messed with was the power amp sag..some amps i left it where it was from .50 to 2.00 area

Sorry for any confusion Deadpool....Migraines..oh boy they are brutal this time of year with weather changes...actually Vestibular migraines with vertigo...so me trying to read a manual on a screen is pretty near impossible with me losing my place all the time with jumping eyes due to vertigo...lol...im used to it now when they hit me ....but..Wow...i just enjoy the ride until they pass

I bought some Humbuster cables a while back...im using them and zero noise from the output2 left/right to the Velocity300 stereo inputs...

I do remember , that there is something you can do to make it feel a little less stiff feeling on some amps , a little more real if thats the term...but i havent watched any fractal vids in over a year or more..

Standout amps so far are the ..
Atomica
Soldano
And the Fiedman BE
I always use a boost pedal to add gain...gain on amp at 10am to 1pm ish...same as i do with my real amps

I still cant get a sound i like out of a Marshall and there version of the 5150 for some reason...giving my ears a break after 5 hrs playing...ill dial it in !

Mike

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Leon makes great Fractal content
I dunno why but it bugs me on some level that so much "content" about Fractal is just that one guy. If you ask a question, you get pointed to "just go do what Leon does, here's a video". As far as I can tell, he's just some random gear enthusiast. For as popular as these units are, I'm surprised there's not more depth of content/tutorials from anyone else.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno why but it bugs me on some level that so much "content" about Fractal is just that one guy. If you ask a question, you get pointed to "just go do what Leon does, here's a video". As far as I can tell, he's just some random gear enthusiast. For as popular as these units are, I'm surprised there's not more depth of content/tutorials from anyone else.

There are, but Leon comes across as genuine and not spammy compared to maaany YT types. Bergs has stuff, cooper carter has stuff, Mark Day, and Im sure Fractal has some in-house videos.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

@budda is correct there are other folks making content as well and quite a bit of it, but Leon does make a ton of Fractal videos. I don’t really get the annoyance though. Leon’s videos are usually quite informative and he does come across as very genuine and he not shilly at all. But man, sometimes stuff can just rub us the wrong way for no reason we can figure out. No biggie. It is what it is.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much, it is what it is. It's not that I don't like that guy or something, I've just sort of had my fill of that guy and would like some other perspectives.

If I had more knowledge and the desire to run a YT channel, you'd probably see mine in HD :lol:

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
My YouTube tips channel for the AFXIII would have only a single video maybe 60 seconds long? 1) never touch the advanced parameters, 2) dial it in where you think it sounds good, then reduce the gain by 1.5 and reduce the master by half, now you probably actually sound good; 3) buy York IRs, use Mix01 and set the speaker impedance curve to match.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Power Station imparts its own impedance curve, so you can end up double stacking. Switches to flat, and presence and resonance off would be as close to flat as possible, I assume.

The switches are only in effect when a tube amp is connected to it. They simply turn the loadbox from reactive to resistive.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Cooper Carter has a lot of content but much of it is paid afaik so people refer to Leon more. It's not really any different than say Jason Sadites having a lot of Helix content and people referring to that. It doesn't mean they are some authority on the modelers, just people who present things in a meaningful way with years of content to look at that usually covers the common and many of the uncommon ways to use it. It's easier to send someone to go check out a video rather than write a wall of text to describe the solution.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is Leon Todd still the main go-to for learning the FM3? Gonna start actually using this thing. Would love any rec of someone who builds a basic patch from scratch.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is Leon Todd still the main go-to for learning the FM3? Gonna start actually using this thing. Would love any rec of someone who builds a basic patch from scratch.
I’d say Rosh Roslin has a pretty good Fractal channel for those kinda starting out.