NGD: Fender Player Strat

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Matt08642, May 5, 2019.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Well, I didn't think I'd actually go back and pick this one up within a week of playing it, but here we are :lol:

[​IMG]

So far I'm really enjoying it. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't based entirely on Nick Johnston's new album, I really just wanted that single coil sound on something I owned.

It plays great, awesome fretwork (action is around 1.6mm on the bass side, 1.5 on treble at the 17th fret, same as my Prestige RG), pickups are beyond what I was expecting from this series, I don't plan on changing them any time soon to be honest. Super stratty sound for clean stuff, and actually sounds really good through my 6505mh

My one gripe is the fact that the bridge on these still uses a screw in trem arm, which is trash. The arm wobbles unless its screwed all the way in, at which point it's not in the position you'd want to use it in. Since they moved to the 2 post trem design on this series, I was considering ordering this American Deluxe bridge from Fender, which would be a drop in replacement AFAIK, and provide a pop-in arm.

The non-locking tuners are actually pretty stable (since I'm not currently using the trem on this - when I use the trem the tuning is not great). I replaced the 9s it came with with some D'addario NYXL 10-46 and tuned to Eb, and it seems like the nut is cut wide enough to allow 10s. I still might replace the nut with something from Graph Tech, but it's good for now. As for the tuners, I think these locking American series ones are also drop in replacements

Overall it's great, highly recommend people check these out!

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Hell yeah.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

nice, enjoy!!!
    (great colour choice)

4. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

HNGD!! Lots of Strat love around here lately, I love the one I just got. That blue with the maple board looks killer:agreed:

5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Thanks! I really wanted something blue with a maple board, luckily Fender accommodated :D

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

HNGD! I quickly tested one of these on Friday and funnily enough it had better fretwork compared to all of the USA stuff I tested. Been having a bit of Strat-GAS myself lately so I might also snatch one of these if I come across one that feels great.

Zhysick and Matt08642 like this.
  7. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

TBH the only reason I was on the fence the first time I played this one was because it was set up super poorly at the store. The strings were corroded and old, the intonation was off, the action as around 2mm across the board, all the frets were just dusty and grimy.

I could tell at the store that it had potential, but I just wasn't 100% sure due to basically everything being off. Took the chance and picked it up, brought it home and spent a few hours setting everything up and cleaning it, etc. The difference between how it sounded at the store vs after the setup was insane, really sold me on the whole thing.

EDIT: Another part of this I'm really enjoying is the neck size and profile. Compared to my regular Ibanez necks, it's a lot more comfortable playing for long periods of time for me so far:

[​IMG]

From what I remember, the RG2550 is 18-21mm and the Stratocaster is like 21-23ish

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Kaura likes this.
  8. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

The guitar looks great and I dig the colour which I think is Pelham blue. A Fender Stratocaster is a must have in your guitar arsenal. I love my '98 Fender American Std. Strat with a passion and I plan on keeping it for a lifetime. Congrats on your purchase.

;>)/

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Looks like their new Tidepool finish? Either way, killer Strat!

Matt08642 likes this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yep, Tidepool

They also had the same color in a Tele, which was honestly super tempting as well, felt very similar

JSanta likes this.
  11. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Thanks for the GAS dammit. Srsly that Strat looks fucking awesome.

12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Congrats.

I played the exact same color one in November last year and almost bought it.

13. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

You can add a small spring before putting the trem arm in. It should solve the sibling problem and might just save you from ordering a new bridge.

Also, the Ibanez neck thickness is insane :lol:. It’s actually 17-19 mm.

14. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I prefer using teflon plumber's tape to tighten the bar in the hole. Saves a lot of wear on the threads, too.

USMarine75, NickS and Musiscience like this.
  15. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Never thought about doing that, genius solution. I'll try it next time I have a vintage trem equipped guitar.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'll definitely give this a try - Been so long since I had a screw in arm I totally forgot about doing this lol.

17. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

I simply took a pen spring and dropped it in the hole before screwing in the trem bar. Works just fine.

Matt08642 likes this.
  18. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Bit of an update, I put in some Fender locking tuners, and replaced the terrible bent metal string tree with a GraphTech TUSQ tree and added some Guitar Grease to the nut slots - Now the guitar actually stays in tune when I use the trem (to a degree, can't really abuse it like my double locking trems). Pretty cool

NickS and Zhysick like this.
  19. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Still GASing heavily for one of those! I also seriously wish Fender made some models with the big headstock.

20. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I love my Player Series Strat also. Better neck than all the strats in the shop (even elites) except for the Clapton (that's a beast of a guitar... ).

I have realized that I like the neck profile of my Wolfgang more but I prefer the rounder and straight/not-compound radius of the Fender so I enjoy a lot more playing the Strat than any other guitar in my whole fucking life.

Beast of a guitar for the price...