NGD - ESP Original Series M-II

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Scored this beauty from Japan last week. What an absolute work of art. First things first though - basic bitch phone pics, then specs and some thoughts:

410-BFFB3-A5-FC-44-DD-9-E60-EDA7-EF3-CD657.jpg

1-DD7-BF39-8-D4-E-4-E65-B1-B2-718613-BA50-A5.jpg

9-E49079-D-33-A5-4-F73-8-C13-60594-A739-FD3.jpg

B80077-C6-0-B65-43-A6-8-C5-B-2134413-E2-AC0.jpg

D2-BE761-F-5-A8-A-4459-B601-CBC96-BAB0828.jpg

5-F1-E8907-AC17-4-F6-E-AE7-F-26-C71-F92-AB0-C.jpg

885-A857-B-E35-C-4024-8-F04-2455372555-B2.jpg

13-D55-C61-E94-D-45-BC-9-A1-D-634-C22406504.jpg

27-F75-D02-70-AC-4944-9263-1-EAF1-BB22-BB8.jpg

5-FB02-AFF-B9-CF-42-F8-B27-C-A4-F86-C9-D3179.jpg

Specs are:
BODY - Alder (Thickness 45mm)
NECK - Hard Maple 3P
GRIP SHAPE - Thin U
FINGERBOARD - Ebony w/White Binding
RADIUS - 305R
SCALE - 648mm
NUT - Carbon (42mm)
FRET - JESCAR FW57110-NS, 24frets
INLAY - (Top) Offset Pearloid Block, (Side) Luminlay SGM-23L
JOINT - Neck-thru-body
TUNER - GOTOH SG360-07 MG-T
BRIDGE - HIPSHOT Fixed(.125') w/String-thru-body
PICKUPS - (Neck) EMG 66TW, (Bridge) EMG 57TW in brushed black chrome
PARTS COLOR - Black Nickel
CONTROLS - Master Volume(w/Pull: Neck PU Single Coil Mode), Master Tone(w/Pull: Bridge PU Single Coil Mode), 3WAY Lever PU Selector

Almost not a lot to say on this one... it's just absolutely killer. It's an M-II CTM NT, which is a pretty recent addition to the Original Series, which is made in the Custom Shop.

I love the old ESP Standard Series, but this is a marked step up, as you'd expect. I'd put ESP's from this series/tier up there with any builder out there that I've tried, including the Mayones, Aristides and PRS I’ve been lucky enough to buy in the last few years. This blows them away, for my tastes.

The attention to detail, fit, and finish here is as good as it gets. More importantly though, it just sounds better and is more outright fun to play than some other guitars I've picked up with 'better' specs on paper (BKP's, stainless steel frets, space age plastic goop body material etc.).

Feels super slick, plays fast and effortless. Looking forward to getting this tuned down for some big riffs.

It sounds great - cutting, lively and articulate. I like the 57/66 TW set here more than in other guitars I've tried them in. Having the push-pull on each knob to activate the single coil preamp separately of each pickup gives some lovely clean tone combos.

The transition from gloss body to satin neck is really well done. I don't know how they've done it, but it's almost like it fades from one to the other, rather than being a solid line like. The satin is super slick to the touch, definitely the nicest I've tried.

Really pleased to find that it came with Schaller S Locks factory installed despite not being on the spec list. It's a little thing, but it made me happy to be able to attach them to the ESP strap I picked up last time I visited the ESP store in Tokyo a few years ago before the pandemic hit.

Got some cool case candy thrown in - Japanese sweets, green tea and a very nice cleaning cloth. ESP gig bag is super heavy duty. Packaged up brilliantly and made it from Japan to the UK in just 2 days - that actually might be the most impressive thing overall after having agonised for weeks for guitars to arrive from the Netherlands and Spain :lol:

On the downside, and this is nothing against the craftsmanship from ESP here, it came with an awful lot of micro-scratches and swirls. Seems as though a store employee gave it a wiping down without a good clean first or used a cloth that wasn't very soft. A bit of a shame, but on the other hand it's only a matter of time until glossy black guitars pick up marks like this and I received a more then generous partial refund for this, so it’s all good.

Last edited:

DarkCide

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super nice!

What I don't understand the current price hike on stanrd ESP series. Nothing against the lineup, but they seem way overinflated.

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The transition from gloss body to satin neck is really well done. I don't know how they've done it, but it's almost like it fades from one to the other, rather than being a solid line like. The satin is super slick to the touch, definitely the nicest I've tried.
First thing I noticed. Really cool!

garga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
esp made in the custom shops are amazing, and satin necks make it even more awesome!

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Man, I've been looking around for a new hard-tail super strat and this thing checks all kinds of boxes.

Killer looking guitar!

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That guitar is everything a guitar should be, without anything extra. The swirls imo are inevitable after a bit of playing; but if they really bother you, you can use a compound like meguiars ( no scratchX- that has silicone).
I think in this case, they are not even really all that noticeable, in the photos it looks mirror-level flawless

Congrats on the new guitar!

Geisterfaust

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nothing meaner than an M-II or M-I in black. My M-I sits next to some great pieces by PRS and Mayones and I agree with you: I have more fun with the ESP.

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
Nice, I recently bought an ESP mII original series with a floyd. They are amazing guitars. HNGD. Black with binding is classy as they come.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is stunning! The satin neck looks like its been done by hand sanding the gloss finish, as opposed to a hard masked line and two different paints used. Gorgeous!

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for sharing such great shots of the guitar. Really gassing for a an Esp hardtail. You've got a dream guitar. Congrats