NGD: ESP Eclipse 7 String Baritone

Utkarsh Mohan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So this is a very lucky NGD.

Like many, I have always wanted a Baritone Singlecut 7 string. Yes you can get them made in custom shops (like say Balaguer's configurator at about $3K or ESP's own at about $7K) but if only ESP made them in standard production, on top of the 25.5 inch version. Also, with the tunematic please, instead of the Evertune. I'm a traditionalist at heart.

So as it turns out, the other day something very unusual hit the local classified's here in Singapore. A ESP (not EII) Eclipse 7 string for sale, with a 27.5 inch scale no less. I was intrigued but I had never heard of a 27.5 inch scale in ESP. I messaged the seller and he mentioned that he may have measured wrongly and it was actually 27 inch.

That made a lot more sense but I had never heard of this guitar. There was an LTD ESP EC 7 with a baritone scale but never a ESP. Trawling this very forum revealed that Bmusic in Australia had made a very limited run of 6 back in 2012. The seller said it was a 2012. Things seemed to add up. I had enough confidence to move forward. Also the pictures looked legit.

We met up. He was a very nice guy who simply didn't play metal anymore and favoured Jazz. He said he used to be a Korn fan and about 10 years ago, had gone on holiday to Australia. There he had walked into, you guessed it, Bmusic, and picked it up. It did seem that he barely played it since then, as the guitar is brand spanking new. I have seen new guitars that are less pristine.

So here without further ado, is the 2012 ESP Eclipse 7 Baritone. Featured next to my EII EC-7 that I picked up in June from Tokyo, for scale (That guitar deserves a NGD too. Haven't gotten round to it)

As you can imagine, this is just amazing. The most spectacular thing for me is that it feels as playable as a 25.5 inch scale guitar. I have two other 27 inch scale guitars, a LTD Snakebyte Purple baritone and a EII Horizon 7, but this is a step above. It reminds me in terms of easy playability of the ESP Custom shop Raiden Snapper 8 that I have.

A quick video for some sounds and more perspective. Feel extremely lucky to have found this and picked it up. Quite a bucket list guitar and almost a money can't buy (since there are only 6 of them)

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super sweet score! As a super strat fan, I almost despise the LP shape. Having owned a bunch of Gibsons in the past, I am down to one. Just my own personal issues, nothing against the LP. It is an iconic guitar but does nothing for me. BUT. I do think companies like ESP make better LP style guitars, or at least for more modern tones and stability. That said, I really have a thing for 7 string LP guitars. I love they way they look and balance. I am also a fan of the tune-o-matic bridge which is hard to find. M

I have an ESP that is an Eclipse with 26.5" scale and tune-o-matic with a string through. It is a bolt-on as well, which is why I took the chance on it when I found it since I don't care for neck-thru or set neck very often. Again, my own weirdness and issues.
It is my favorite 7 string guitar ever. I reached out to get a quote for another identical one and it was north of 8k and would require a different headstock and inlay. IMHO, ESP custom shop 7 string Eclipse guitars are fairly rare in the wild, so play the hell out of it and don't let it go. Congrats on a sweet guitar!

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very nice! I have a 7 string eclipse (just a boring E-II one) and it sounds and plays amazing. Unfortunately the single cut shape just isn't my favourite for 7 strings. Ends up pretty heavy, hard to access all the frets etc. I've moved to super strats since. But when I do pick up that guitar, it's super satisfying to play.

Lada The Great

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really cool! I've seen pictures of these floating around and always kinda wanted one, but knew that these are incredibly rare. Also, I require pictures of your custom shop Snapper 8! :D

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats!!! That’s such a unique guitar. Glad you got your white whale.

So uhhhhh……you gonna play some trivium riffs on it or what?

ockis23

Be Excellent to Each Other
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow man, congratulations! That is an amazing axe 🤘.