NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
His guitar had the D shaped profile, which also wasn't my preference. Not sure if it's the shredator profile, but I'd get a c shaped .800 - .880 when my build comes around.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If anyone comes out here and tells me a Daemoness plays and sounds just like a Keisel then I am definitely out. Problem solved.

If both guitars were set up by the same person, there's no real reason to think they wouldn't play similarly. And every guitar sounds different, so either one could sound better than the other (or very similar), but that's obviously very subjective. I don't think they'll FEEL the same, though I don't have any experience specifically with Daemoness. I've played lots of guitars I thought felt better and more refined than Kiesels though, and there's obviously a lot more customization available with Daemoness.

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
If both guitars were set up by the same person, there's no real reason to think they wouldn't play similarly.

I should clarify here that when I say 'feel' I also factor in body shape and weight plus whether or not it has all the right contours and what not etc. etc. I've discussed the subject of feel with coworkers who were decent techs at the guitar in their spare time. While they had said pretty much the same thing that you did, 'if the setup is good, then it almost doesn't really matter', I have also had them come back to me and say, 'well yeah the radius of the neck does make a difference in addition to all the rest etc. etc.'. Which it all does. Clearly. 'Feel' isn't strictly about action.

Last edited:

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
His guitar had the D shaped profile, which also wasn't my preference. Not sure if it's the shredator profile, but I'd get a c shaped .800 - .880 when my build comes around.

Yeah, based on what I discussed with other guys, the shredator sounds like it would be the path forward for me. If I stay on the path that is...

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I should clarify here that when I say 'feel' I also factor in body shape and weight plus whether or not it has all the right contours and what not etc. etc. I've discussed the subject of feel with coworkers who were decent techs at the guitar in their spare time. While they had said pretty much the same thing that you did, 'if the setup is good, then it almost doesn't really matter', I have also had them come back to me and say, 'well yeah the radius of the neck does make a difference in addition to all the rest etc. etc.'. Which it does. Clearly.

That's why I mentioned "specs being equal" on the previous page.
A 10-pound 27 inch scale guitar with flat radius will obviously feel different compared to a lightweight short scale guitar with round radius.
But specs being equal, there comes a level of quality beyond which I wouldn't expect any real difference.

Disclaimer: the last "boutique" or handmade instruments I owned were quite a few years ago. But I don't believe the trade has changed that much, especially the way Dylan describes his work. At least guitar-construction-wise, obviously his art is unique.

But since then, I have consistently seen CNC-d instruments be more consistent and better playing than handmade stuff. A shame for the "boutique" and handmade aspects, but it is what it is (that's what we say know, isn't it :lol:). Not to say everything CNC'ed is good. It's only a raw outline and you still need to build and finish the guitar right. But in the realm we're talking about? 1/2k or more from reputable brands? There are tons of options available today with great quality.

Last edited:

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
But specs being equal, there comes a level of quality beyond which I wouldn't expect any real difference.

I'm not here to debate this nor do I remotely feel like it. All I care to say here, is that opinions would vary wildly on this matter M8.

Regards, your pal, 'Shred.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not here to debate this nor do I remotely feel like it. All I care to say here, is that opinions would vary wildly on this matter M8.

Regards, your pal, 'Shred.

That was more...general information based on your own comments and questions rather than any debate... No reason to get on the defensive.

No worries though. I thought you asked questions and were interested in answers. If not then my bad, I must have misread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sincerely though, have fun speccing out your build and hopefully it ends up being all you wish for!

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
all those guys with downpayments put on 2016 and had their woods bought will most likely be in the next batch

I was a late 2016 deposit and I've never had any communication about woods or other components. As far as I'm aware I'm at the same point as someone who could've dropped a deposit yesterday (figuratively speaking).

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was a late 2016 deposit and I've never had any communication about woods or other components. As far as I'm aware I'm at the same point as someone who could've dropped a deposit yesterday (figuratively speaking).
That s just terrible.. seems like more and more people are coming up woth deposits from Almost 5 years ago and no communication whatsoever (which obviously means the covid excuse does not weigh much). I don’t know what to say.. i d not stay in a situation like that for sure if there are no sunk costs. Unless he guarantees you that you ll get your guitar in a few months time..

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You know it's called "the sunk cost fallacy" in this context...

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know it's called "the sunk cost fallacy" in this context...
it s the lost time and the opportunity cost that some people weight a lot. But you are right. In a situation like that the best option is to run

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
That was more...general information based...

Indeed and no harm no foul. And I'm not necessarily getting defensive here although I am more concerned with getting actual first hand account of the Daemoness guitar playing experience at this point. I felt we were about to go in a very general direction here and thus would ultimately deviate from the info I'm really trying to get here.

Sincerely though, have fun speccing out your build and hopefully it ends up being all you wish for!

If I go forward. Like I said time will tell there. But thanks M8 and I hope I get some reply Dylan soon and then we'll take it from there.

Scud7011

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah this is a fair point. Assuming it’s a sort of hourly rate attached to the pricing which is one of many fair ways of doing it then yeah this could account for it. If someone is told “TBD” up front then wow, that’s faith.
Barnes wanted me to specify a budget for my body art prior to the built starting, which would then determine how crazy Dylan would go on my body art. This obviously depends on how accurate Dylan is when it comes to estimating how long doing certain stuff takes, but I doubt he would charge over your specified budget if he happened to take longer to do the art then he originally thought.

When in 2016? Dylan's order book opened on November 1st, and I'm fairly certain he filled out more than an entire batch worth of orders within a few days of that. There were a ton of people on this site alone that mentioned back then that they had put deposits down within a few days of that. It sounds like you missed the cut and would be in the next batch after the initial one.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Couple hours reading....Custom guitars? Nothings changed. I been out of the game for years :lol:

It is what it is. Seriously, Its just so risky that 90% of the time it goes wrong and at best you get something in 3 years that is ok. Anyone outside of our bubble would think it’s ridiculous.

Even big custom guitar companies can’t be excused. I sold a Jackson custom guitar spot once... ‘Basic specs’ I seen the new owner get his guitar and be dissapointed.

I jump into the Daemoness thread and theres a big hype post that was comical but 30 pages here was the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think the new mantra needs to be ‘spend 10k plus’ for custom. Apologies to a whole bunch of custom guitar guys but it is what it is.

BRJ - I lost money
Skervesen - decent instrument i flipped for a prs and cash
Siggery - I sold my spot... :( new owner
Jackson - sold my spot. Faults on new owners guitar :(
Thorn - spotless (now with Fender)
Thorn - Spotless (now with Fender)
Vik - organised the run and sold spot later. :(
ET guitars - 4 years for a neck That was flawed
Ormsby - sold guitar for original price after a couple months. Flaws (which i clearly advised on) its worth less thst half the price

Dont go custom
Dont go custom
Dont go custom

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Couple hours reading....Custom guitars? Nothings changed. I been out of the game for years :lol:

It is what it is. Seriously, Its just so risky that 90% of the time it goes wrong and at best you get something in 3 years that is ok. Anyone outside of our bubble would think it’s ridiculous.

Even big custom guitar companies can’t be excused. I sold a Jackson custom guitar spot once... ‘Basic specs’ I seen the new owner get his guitar and be dissapointed.

I jump into the Daemoness thread and theres a big hype post that was comical but 30 pages here was the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think the new mantra needs to be ‘spend 10k plus’ for custom. Apologies to a whole bunch of custom guitar guys but it is what it is.

BRJ - I lost money
Ormsby - sold guitar for original price after a couple months. Flaws (which i clearly advised on) its worth less thst half the price

Dont go custom
Dont go custom
Dont go custom

Not going to lie, the last few weeks of threads here on SSO have had me a little worried about my own custom orders haha.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
BRJ - I lost money

Dont go custom
Dont go custom
Dont go custom

Honestly I think the lesson here is just to not go with any builder you put a deposit down with! Though the Thorns turned out well presumably...no one has a bad thing to say about Ron or his guitars.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
That s just terrible.. seems like more and more people are coming up woth deposits from Almost 5 years ago and no communication whatsoever (which obviously means the covid excuse does not weigh much). I don’t know what to say.. i d not stay in a situation like that for sure if there are no sunk costs. Unless he guarantees you that you ll get your guitar in a few months time..
August 2020 minus late 2016 is less than 4 years.

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

BRJ - I lost money

Dont go custom
Dont go custom
Dont go custom
It is usually the one man shops that create this type of frustrations (VIK, BRJ, Decibel, Daemoness etc).
I mean shops like Skervesen and Ormsby, especially the latest years, deliver very high quality instruments (with some bad ones here and there) and offer very nice custom inlays as well (maybe not as artistic as Dylan's but still pretty impressive). And the best thing is that you have a very good communication and they stay in their timelines.
After all this shitstorm, I think Dylan should rebrand as a concept shop that paint/refinishes existing guitars (something like Hutchison) and offer crazy inlays. In that way he ll be focusing on the art, he ll be happier and we ll all get the Soloists, Horizons, RGs that we always wanted. Because to be honest that's what most people want. A copy of an existing known guitar but with Dylan's touch.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
It is usually the one man shops that create this type of frustrations (VIK, BRJ, Decibel, Daemoness etc).
I mean shops like Skervesen and Ormsby, especially the latest years, deliver very high quality instruments (with some bad ones here and there) and offer very nice custom inlays as well (maybe not as artistic as Dylan's but still pretty impressive). And the best thing is that you have a very good communication and they stay in their timelines.
After all this shitstorm, I think Dylan should rebrand as a concept shop that paint/refinishes existing guitars (something like Hutchison) and offer crazy inlays. In that way he ll be focusing on the art, he ll be happier and we ll all get the Soloists, Horizons, RGs that we always wanted. Because to be honest that's what most people want. A copy of an existing known guitar but with Dylan's touch.

Nah. People who want a Daemoness want a Daemoness. Not an off the shelf ESP or Ibanez. They could just buy one and be done with it.

People who really want a Daemoness can live with the wait, know what they’re getting into, and don’t cry when their emails don’t get answered. Because they know/trust the end product to be worth it. If that’s not for you, luckily enough almost everything else should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts