NGD - Charvel Pro Mod DK24 HH HT

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JD27, Mar 22, 2019.

1. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

My GAS for an Ash body ESP USA M-II has to be put to bed for the sake of my wallet. This Charvel is basically an inexpensive version of what I wanted though. It’s got an open grain Ash body with direct mount pickups, hipshot-like hardtail, locking tuners, and a comfortable neck with satin finish.

I guess it’s about what I expect from a MIM guitar, similar to Fenders I had before. It’s not finished as nicely as a good WMI Korean build, but it’s not awful either. There are parts in the finish that could have been sanded better and are rough, the open grain makes that really apparent. I love the look of it though. The frets appear to be level, no dead spots, and the fretboard edges are rollled nicely. There is some mean feet sprout though. Relax, my old man is a television repair man, he’s got this ultimate set of tools, I can fix it! Pickups are getting swapped for Black Winters. The Full Shred might not have been the best choice for these, it’s a bright snappy guitar and the scooped nature of them is not complimenting it very well.

My first MIM Charvel, I would buy another. I dig it overall, just needs a little work. Makes for a weekend project, should be solid once I’m done though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mwoit, Solodini, Bones43x and 21 others like this.
  2. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

I love the look of that one! I also have a DK24 (Purple Phaze) and I agree about the Full Shred. It was my first time with it and I will most likely end up switching it out eventually. I much prefer the SD Distortion in the So-Cal.

Zhysick and JD27 like this.
  3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I liked that color too, but the finish on my Holcomb was close so it would have been a little repetitive. Yeah the Distortion would have been more balanced in this or even a JB which they like to use. They sound alright in brighter guitars.

4. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I have a San Dimas in Ash with the same finish. I know what you mean about a bit of roughness in parts of the finish, but that’s the idea with these I think. Mine really looks kinda Mad Max like. The San Dimas has a JB and while I’m usually not a fan it absolutely slays in this guitar. I also have a So Cal without Distortions and a DK with Full Shred and this one sounds the best.
    [​IMG]

5. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I like that So Cal too, I just didn’t want a FR at the moment. That one has a unique look in the grain. They finish is supposed to be super thin so you can feel the grain, my DC7x had an open grain Antique Ash finish like these. This has spots around the top of the heel joint and the upper horn that are sandpaper rough, it just needed more sanding.

6. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

That guitar looks stunning. This open pore raw kinda finnish looks like the piece of burned wood. Lovely colors - black with the maple fretboard. HNGD.

JD27 likes this.
  7. yellowv

I know what you mean about the finish. This one has probably one rough spot like that on the horn near the strap button. I actually sent one back that had some dents in the back and it also had several of those sandpaper rough spots. That one actually had a more normal grain similar to your DK. This one is pretty unique. Looks like somebody dumped acid on it or something.

JD27 likes this.
  8. yellowv

Here are both of them before I sent the other back.

[​IMG]

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

That’s quite different then the first one. Kind of a happy mistake, definitely looks cool.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Really loving these DK24's from Charvel.
    Congrats!

JD27 likes this.
  11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I think for the prices and features they have been doing great with the whole Pro Mod series. I’d like to get a Style 2 FR as well.

AkiraSpectrum and feraledge like this.
  12. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Love that finish!! Congrats and HNGD man

JD27 likes this.
  13. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I dig the black with maple look.

I hate fret sprout. I notice a lot of import guitars now have this especially when haniging in the store. When I first started playing when the Japanese guitars were the main imports I don’t remember this being such an issue. I’m guessing they are either not seasoning the wood as well or they just had better quality back then? Either way if it’s a good one you can always fix that stuff!

JD27 likes this.
  14. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yeah fortunately I can fix it because everything else is pretty nice on this.

decoy205 likes this.
  15. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Love these! Sucks about the fret sprout, but glad you’re getting it handled. My Charvel GAS is high. I dig a lot about their DKs, but hunger for the roundover edges of a San Dimas or So Cal when I see the strat headstock. The Full Shreds in my US Horizon are some of my favorites, they’re definitely scooped but I think they sound ferocious. BWs in this should be really sick though. Congrats!

Millul and JD27 like this.
  16. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Can’t go wrong with the San Dimas or So Cal either. The San Dimas in Blue Frost would do nicely. The neck on these is just awesome, so after the sprout is gone, I should be quite happy. In the right guitar, the Full Shred might be awesome, this isn’t it though. The BW has yet to disappoint me, so I expect good things.

feraledge likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m boned when they roll out the smaller heel on more and more Charvels. If the purists win out then my wallet is safe.

JD27 likes this.
  18. feraledge

I’ve been waiting for it, but if it was going to happen it would have already. That’s why they introduced the DKs I suspect.
    There’s always the SVSS, but a Schecter is never going to be a Charvel.

JD27 and Mathemagician like this.
  19. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Proper bridge choice! Such a good looking guitar too.

JD27 likes this.
  20. feraledge

Charvel necks are amazing. I definitely need one in my life again. That blue frost is amazing, so is white, silver burst, go for my third specific ocean, metallic black... there are a lot of tight answers here.
    What do you think of the jack location? One thing about the DKs that I’m iffy on.

JD27 likes this.