NGD: Boat paddle

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Needed a guitar for an upcoming international tour and decided to try something totally out of left field.... but so far I love it! It's a Steinberger Synapse Transcale. Found it on Marketplace for a really great deal. Specs:
-28.5" scale
-EMG 81, 85, and Piezo
-Active tone circuit (you can cut or boost the low and high end independently)
-Integrated capo that works great so far from my initial testing
-Tuned to drop A with 13-62 daddarios

stein.jpg

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hol' up.

Did you say 28.5 inch scale on that bad boy?

God while I hate the shape, I really want this thing. Is that integrated Capo actually usable?

EDIT: I have to read better. Please let us know how the capo works over time, that'd be cool to hear about.

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hol' up.

Yup, actually 28 and 5/8ths to be specific. I'm not super well versed on the Steinberger history but I believe the Transcale was the only baritone model they made

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Hol' up.

God while I hate the shape, I really want this thing. Is that integrated Capo actually usable?

EDIT: I have to read better. Please let us know how the capo works over time, that'd be cool to hear about.

I have the "Demon" model, which is basically this one with a Warlock shaped body. These transcale models are really interesting. You're either going to love it or hate it.

The capo works really well. Much more reliable than a clip-on capo and you can move it around pretty quickly. For me, it always felt a bit like a gimmick though. I can see it being useful for someone else, but I never really needed it and I'd have been happier if it was just a regular baritone guitar.

The downside to the capo is that there are deep and kind of sharp feeling slots on the side of the neck that it rides in. Depending on how you play, it can be uncomfortable and distracting. It's also kind of weird in that the side dots are shifted up so you can use them as the reference when the capo is on the 2nd fret (ie, they don't match the dots on the fretboard). It's weird and probably tripped me up more often than it helped.

If you can get past those things or just find that they don't bother you, these guitars are awesome, especially for downtuning. Baritone scale, EMGs, piezo, good headless hardware (it takes double-ball strings, but can also work with regular strings), good tone circuit, overall good construction. I wish more manufacturers would do similarly bold experiments.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
The downside to the capo is that there are deep and kind of sharp feeling slots on the side of the neck that it rides in. Depending on how you play, it can be uncomfortable and distracting. It's also kind of weird in that the side dots are shifted up so you can use them as the reference when the capo is on the 2nd fret (ie, they don't match the dots on the fretboard). It's weird and probably tripped me up more often than it helped.
Every time a Transscale gets brought up someone mentions the tracks for the capo, and the irritation they become long-term - - that said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen mention of the offset side-dots. That’s a strange choice, I would 100% rather have NO fret markers than two contradictory sets on one instrument.

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every time a Transscale gets brought up someone mentions the tracks for the capo, and the irritation they become long-term - - that said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen mention of the offset side-dots. That’s a strange choice, I would 100% rather have NO fret markers than two contradictory sets on one instrument.
That's a great point! I've played it for probably a total of 9 or 10 hours since I've gotten it and ran through our band's catalogue as well as a handful of my favorite metal songs and have a few observations on your points ... the capo tracks aren't noticeable to me, maybe it's my technique or my bigger slender hands but I can't even feel them. You're totally right about the side dots though.... it did screw me up once or twice.... I'm thinking of doing a either a "pinstripe" of electrical tape along the edge or *gasp* dare I say a sharpie to cover them up. I forget if they are inlays or painted on but Ill check when I get home.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
the capo tracks aren't noticeable to me, maybe it's my technique or my bigger slender hands but I can't even feel them.
Yeah, I think if you have "proper" technique where your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck you won't really notice it. But if you tend to just kind of grab the neck and wrap your thumb around, it's a problem.

I think the side dots were an issue for me in particular because I usually play Parkers so I'm really used to *only* looking at the side dots to orient myself. If they'd done it the other way around with the side dots matching the baritone scale and fretboard dots matching the capo'd scale, I'd have been much happier.

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guitar reminds of why guitarists used to talk crap about headless guitars. My goodness, that market has evolved for the better. BUT, I'm not here to talk badly about your guitar. That is a great oddity to own!

The Blue Ghost

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find that piezo adds a lot to a blended clean tone with the magnetic pickups and I wish they were more common in guitars in general. Super cool guitar HNGD!