NGD: Baby's first 7 (Ibanez content)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Avedas, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Pics first:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was perusing the local used listings when I realized some people sell j.customs for dirt cheap here. I've been wanting to get a 7 for a long time now and this looked to be by far the cheapest option to get a top quality one. So a decade after joining this site I finally actually own a 7 string :lol:

It's a 2013 RG8527Z in Black Onyx! Wizard 7 5-piece neck made of maple and wenge, a very dark rosewood fretboard. The j.custom tree of life inlay is incredibly vibrant in person. 17 inch radius. The fretboard is bound with flame maple which I think will look really nice once I clean it. Last owner must have had really dirty hands as the edges of the binding and frets are almost black and that area feels rough. Whatever j.custom fret treatment is it's amazing. Easily the smoothest fret edges I've dealt with so far. The frets aren't stainless but there doesn't look to be any wear at all on them, although they need a cleaning/polish pretty badly.

The body is mahogany with a flame maple top. The flame is so damn wavy I love it. Naturally this is easily my heaviest guitar now, so I'll have to see how I deal with the weight later on. The pickups are still the stock Dimarzio PAF 7s. Remains to be seen if I'll replace them down the road. Bridge is the Edge-Zero 7 with ZPS3. I haven't played around with it much yet since the whole guitar needs a restring and setup pretty badly, but I think I'm going to ditch the ZPS3. It's stiff as hell which I suppose is adjustable but I prefer a sensitive trem with flutter. I'll have to learn how to set up this bridge too.

Now to figure out how I want to clean this thing. It came with a Prestige multitool as well which is really cool. I actually needed the truss rod adjustment wrench thing for my Jackson too, so this is quite convenient. The case has a nice crack in it on the end that worried me (the guy literally taped together multiple Amazon boxes to form a bigger "box" and stuffed it with bubble wrap).

I plan to put it in drop Ab. I have a set of 10-59 NYXLs but I might need a thicker 7th string. Anyway super stoked to put some hours into this thing.

StevenC, pecado, _Mick_ and 21 others like this.
  2. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Nice!!! HNGD! :shred:

Also, not sure why Ibanez doesn't finish those flame maple bindings on J. customs, letting all the dirt get in. They sure look cool regardless though.

3. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Fantastic score. Those are seriously good guitars!

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah I didn't notice it until I actually picked it up and the edges are black all the way through. I could scrape it off with my nail, so it should come out fairly easily. Seems like an odd oversight but maybe there's a good reason

5. khm

khm SS.org Regular

HNGD! She is a beauty!

6. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Really beautyful.... HNGd !! :mega:

7. 73647k

73647k Member

Very nice! HNGD man :shred:

8. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

HNGD! When I saw the thread title I didn't expect this - was thinking more along the lines of a RG7321/RG7421. Happy first seven-string!

9. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

Absolutely love the inlays.
    :agreed:

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Damn, hell of a first seven. Congrats!