NGD! Advice?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by The Logician, Jun 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. The Logician

The Logician The Smurfslayer

I've just joined the EBMM JP7 club, and I'm loving it so far -- the neck finish is marvelous, and the body is almost as resonant as my Carvin CT. However, it's been a while since I've held a 7 string, so I figured I'd address my questions to the wise masses.

First of all, I don't know how JP uses this string gauge. The factory 9-56 just doesn't cut it; they don't respond to my pick. I'm planning on setting the guitar up with Circle K strings, 10-67 for now (I'm used to 11-52 on 25" in E). Before I do anything, though, a few problems:
    -The guitar came with 2 extra springs. At the tension I'm approaching, will I want to attach either or both of them to the vibrato system?
    -It would appear as though the hole in the tuning peg is at capacity with the 56 in there -- what should I do in order to accomodate a more manly gauge?
    -I'm getting a lot more noise than I had anticipated from the CL through my normal rig. Taste and circumstance (budget) make me a pedal-gain kind of guy... I mostly use my Wampler Dual Fusion and Pinnacle, sometimes with a Wampler Ego compressor at the front (impulse buy, that). Any recommendations for a noise gate and how I might use that in tandem with the compressor? I probably don't have enough gain for it, but I love the sound Perpiphery get from their setup.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope I'm not posting this in an inappropriate location.

2. nicktao

nicktao SS.org Regular

For the tuning peg just drill it out carefully, if you don't want to do that just get a piece of stainless steel string and go back and forth eventually increasing sizes.

3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I got a 64 to fit in the tuning peg (just barely) on mine without modification, that might work for you. A word of warning, though- 64 was too thick for the piezo to detect the string, so if you've got one in your guitar it might be an issue.

4. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

Congrats on the JP7!

I would recommend an ISP Decimator for a noise gate.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse SS.org Regular

Congrats! I agree with ^^^^^^^

ISP Decimator is a marvelous thing.

6. The Logician

The Logician The Smurfslayer

Thanks, all. No Piezo, so no problem there. I'll look into that Decimator for sure.

7. naavanka_

naavanka_ SS.org Regular

Brotip:

Lower gain = less hiss/noise and more response.

Do it!

8. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

While this is true, the Decimator removes all the white noise coming from pedals, passive pickups, power source, etc. Acoustic players are about the only ones that wouldn't benefit from using a Decimator. ;)