New Tool Songs

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Boofchuck, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Nah, they quote the "drugs and music" bit, lol. And you basically just described every comic of the last 30 years. Whine, whine, whine, moderately funny anecdote, political grandstanding, whine, whine, whine, dick joke.

c7spheres likes this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Ah. He had an incredibly cringey and sincere bit talking about opening his third eye where he sounded sincere and even the audience seems embarrassed. I guess they just took the title from that part of the "bit."

Like who? I don't listen to more than ~10-15 comics, but none of them could remotely be described like that.

I've heard he's very influential. I guess I don't listen to anyone he influenced. For good reason!

ArtDecade likes this.
  3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Aww, I liked Bill Hicks too :( I actually believe they use a different sample in the Salival live version of Third Eye too, if that makes it worse...

4. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I saw that lineup in Greenville, SC. It pains me to admit I had never heard of Meshuggah at that time

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

You missed out "pop backstage to expose yourself to someone" but otherwise yeah.

BlackMastodon and GunpointMetal like this.
  6. wankerness

What did you think of them when you saw them?

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

It's ok. First time I finally heard Meshuggah, it was when they took Strapping Young Lad out on tour. And I was there for SYL.

Then I went and got Destroy Erase Improve after the show...

brector likes this.
  8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That Salival sample was an excerpt from Timothy Leary speech. At some stages they were combining it with Hicks.

9. fps

fps Kit

Just to say (and I'm not saying this as a Tool fan more than a fan of many other bands) that flat-out saying *I don't like this* isn't really engaging with the band's music. If you don't like it, fine, but clearly they like to use repetition, that's their bliss, building similarities and differences into the flow of music and trying to find that thing that works for them, then reaching a crescendo or two out of that and letting them subside.

It's a different way than a lot of bands work, sure. Except, it isn't in large part, because so many sludge, stoner and drone bands do it, the difference being Tool are a little more on the sweet side, with the beautiful vocals, and on the technical side, with the drumming, and they put way more effort into their tones and textures. It's all in the build, and if that works for you, cool, if not, fair enough.

That said, 10,000 Days wasn't up to the previous two albums' standards. Jambi floated and built really nicely, The Pot rocked, and Rosetta Stoned is a total mess of a trip, but a trip I'm happy to take whenever I get the chance. The other tracks, not so much. I can't imagine they'll have reinvented the wheel for this release, I hope it's sonically beautiful, the lyrics are a little more enigmatic, and they've tapped into some beautiful grooves.

Boofchuck, BlackMastodon and KailM like this.
  10. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Nah actually I "engaged" with their music and "flat out" don't like it, still.

You can talk about "sweet" this and "beautiful" that but in my mind the band did some cool stuff a long time ago, put out a very mediocre album in 2006, went dormant for fucking 13 years and then came back with equally mediocre sounding stuff on the first listen. That might be enough for some but hard pass for me.

I cannot stand this bullshit with Tool that if you don't like their stuff you just "haven't really listened to it" - I did, and its lame.

That's more like it

Vyn likes this.
  11. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I vaguely remember once someone was sure that 3 of the tracks are supposed to be played simultaneously.

(Fake edit because I've gone and looked it up):

12. wankerness

Yeah, I remember that well, it was total bullshit. I tried sticking it together myself and eventually got an MP3 of someone who had done it "correctly," it just sounded like trash. It was absolutely not a Tribes of Neurot/Neurosis Grace/Times of Grace deal where it was intentional and the combined MP3s sounded good. It basically was just the one track with some distracting ambience over it for a while, and then towards the end it sounded like mush. It's kinda like the Nickelback thing - they wrote some songs in the same tempo and almost all their songs are in drop D and often the same key.

It was a lot like people who insist that Dark Side of the Moon was the score to Wizard of Oz, even though the lengths in no way matched and you had to do all kinds of shifting to get it to. "If you make sure to not hit play until exactly at this second, then this vocal thing kind of lines up with this chord change!!" etc. I think the diehard fans just wanted to ascribe more "brilliance" to the music than was there.

I still vaguely remember the original post from the guy describing how he'd found this and how incredible it sounded. I followed his directions, stuck the songs together, and it was just laughable how different it was from the sonic bliss he described.

EDIT: Oh man, I love going on deep dives through the Opeth forum (my primary haunt back in the early 00s) looking for things like that. I found this classic of a thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/the-secret-to-tools-lateralus.130701/

Hahahaha, I hit the character limit. Continued below.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  13. wankerness

Seeing an old post of mine or two in that thread makes me cringe. :(

14. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

The more I listen to these clips (can only do it a bit at a time, 11 min songs aren't my forte :lol:) the more I think, if these songs DIDN'T sound like they do - if they didn't 'sound like Tool', everyone would be complaining about THAT, how they 'don't sound like Tool anymore, they've lost it, yadda yadda'. Plus... they might just really like this kind of music :D

15. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

News Flash: After all this time, Tool is still terrible. More news in 13 years.

Vyn likes this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I think with any band you can only expect so much from them. Tool, Metallica, Pantera etc. Has any band ever kept topping itself for 20-30 years after starting out really good? I'd be happy if I could write 1 album as good as my favorites by them, and they've all done it multiple times. It's really amazing the amount of good songs these bands can produce, and the more time that goes by I wish they still were, cause I'm really not digging a lot of the new stuff by almost any band. Any band will get dumped on if they sound the same or different, it's just a matter of who needs to take a dump.

The906 and prlgmnr like this.
  17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

@wankerness oh man, that was an entertaining read.
    Thanks for sharing the wealth :lol:

18. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I assume you are asking about Meshuggah? I didn't come away liking them or disliking them. Way different for a band opening for Tool, which I suppose was the point. I think at that time I was drifting away from super heavy stuff so I kinda forgot about them for a while. Was my loss for sure!

wankerness likes this.
  19. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Shit, after reading that I can totally see where the Tool fan stereotype comes from. I wanna give that guy a wedgie so damn bad.

Vyn and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  20. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

so i guess maynard weathered those sexual abuse allegations pretty well, eh