New Steve Vai album 'Inviolate' out January 28th

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, it's just gotten so easy to blame everything on CoVid. Hope all is well.

I did get tix for Al di Meola in March at the same venue, that should hold me for a little while.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an EVO ticket for the show next month down here, with the rescheduled date being in October, I don’t plan on living here by then so I just grabbed a refund.

His Boston shows generally fill up quick and I’d imagine the EVO tickets are going to be bought up by a bunch of Berklee kids, so I might be screwed with that. I’ve already met Vai a bunch so that’s not really the draw, but like Gilmour’s red Strat, EVO itself has played a big part of my guitar playing life and it’d be cool as hell to pose for a pic with it and maybe even strum it for a split second. The soundcheck and gear tour are pretty slick as well.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an EVO ticket for the show next month down here, with the rescheduled date being in October, I don’t plan on living here by then so I just grabbed a refund.

His Boston shows generally fill up quick and I’d imagine the EVO tickets are going to be bought up by a bunch of Berklee kids, so I might be screwed with that. I’ve already met Vai a bunch so that’s not really the draw, but like Gilmour’s red Strat, EVO itself has played a big part of my guitar playing life and it’d be cool as hell to pose for a pic with it and maybe even strum it for a split second. The soundcheck and gear tour are pretty slick as well.

Yeah I got to play EVO for about 30 seconds and got a picture with it, that was worth the price of the ticket right there. Talking with Steve was nice, but playing EVO was the highlight! No offence Steve. Probably would have been better if there wasn't this Moron there who tried to hog all of his attention and asked a bunch of stupid questions the whole time. There was only 3 of us so we got to go up on stage for a bit during soundcheck as well, being right up next to his pedal board and amps was really awesome as well. Got to chat with Thomas for a bit too and he showed me some things on Steve's pedal board.

Holy crap my EVO Experience was awesome!!!!!

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Almost finished the album, Apollo In Color and Greenish Blues are incredible!

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Amazing. The mix on this album is superb. Everything is so clear. The bass is perfectly positioned. Listening on good headphones with Dolby Atmos, it's like standing in front of the band as they play it. It's a sensational mix.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just bought the CD on Amazon which came with a MP3 download.

I'd like to order the Vinyl as well as I've gotten into that in the last few years. On Vai.com it says Marble LP and 180g Black LP, but when I follow the Amazon link there is only one Vinyl option. Anyone know where I can get the better quality version?

Also, I know in the past he has done a different master on all analog gear for the Vinyl version, anyone heard if he has done that for this one?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Love it. And will be on heavy rotation for a while.

It's Vai's first full instrumental album since Alien Love Secrets and as close to classic Passion And Warfare era as you're gonna get, so it keeps the old schoolers happy while still sounding new.

Also people often foeget that Vai mixes each and every single one of his solo albums. And the fact that all his albums sans Alien are so damn dense, it's mind blowing. You can say what you want about his guitar playing but his ear is second to none. Vai's skills as a composer and an engineer are why he remains unique and stays a cut above everyone else and are traits we can all learn from.

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely digging it, and as mentioned the mix is incredible, at least in my BT earbuds at work, definitely will run it through nicer stuff at home tonight and when the CD arrives.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I dunno. I have a bigger issue with the strap and dog choker.
:lol:

The song was pretty cool. Has a very "This could only be Steve Vai" sound to it. The mix sounds awesome but it also has a kinda strange to the overall track--at least to my eyes.

Always been a big fan of Steve's playing but I think I'm realizing lately I never really liked his tone that much.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Took a couple listens but I’m really starting to dig the album now, good stuff! Avalancha and Little Pretty are awesome.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SEX & RELIGION is one of my all time favorites... with that being said, seeing the video of him doing only his left hand, 'cause he was recovering from surgery, was stoopid good. Seems like he's always trying something new or challenging...
I think both hands were dealing with something, if memory serves. It was both a weird as well as “Vai, fuck you!” video. He’s still one of the best.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Zeus in Chains and Greenish Blues are my 2 favorites so far. Cool album, need to digest it a little more tho.

Gotta say i definitely don't miss his vocals...

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d love to have an album with Satch and Vai. Sort of like Feed My Frankenstein (as far as leads are concerned), but collaborating throughout for the songs.

Lozinoz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had first listen today. I agree with whoever said its the best release he's had in years. Def only sounds likes a Vai album! It will definitely keep the old school shredders like me happy for while. I needed something to break my addiction to Tony Macalpine's Equilibrium which I had on repeat since its release. Interested to hear Satches new release now.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
This album will require a few listens for me to appreciate. Vai is the guitar god. I don’t think he hits a wrong note. I don’t think there’s a technique he can’t play. He just blows my mind.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Zeus in Chains and Greenish Blues are my 2 favorites so far. Cool album, need to digest it a little more tho.

Gotta say i definitely don't miss his vocals...

Greenish blues is so damn weird (Vai) and beautiful.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d love to have an album with Satch and Vai. Sort of like Feed My Frankenstein (as far as leads are concerned), but collaborating throughout for the songs.

Satch and Vai are like the holy grail of virtuoso guitarists and are both easy-going guys so I'm surprised it's been this long, and we've never had a collab album.