New Slipknot

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lorcan Ward, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

it is disappointing becuase all of them keep their mask to a general theme(except for Sid in this last album too, thats another topic), and their mask evolve over albums. His mask originally came from a crash test dummy mask he put his own drealocks out, then when that one broke appart came blah(dont remember the name exactly where it came from), but it always held up to it, up to All Hope is Gone. Then the gray chapter came in and he basically trow away that theme and did a new thing. I wasnt a fan of his mask there, but at least it looked fine with his overall clothes. At least he looked like a crazy angry thing

Now this new one doesnt fit anything previously done. It looks like a basketball face protective mask thing (or a burn victim thing mentioned before here), and the fact a "big name VFX artist" created it pisses me off more. He went down the quick way, give him whatever and called it "art". BTW all the other guys were made by VFX artixt too, few instagram accounts you can see them working on them...... but its the "art" part that I hate the most, I dont care if it has some kind of deaaaaap menifull twisted something something hiden meaning... it still looks like crap and to call it "art" is just a cheap excuse.

The problem is not the "mask" alone (kinda, as it is crap).... but it is in the context of his clothes and overall looks. Starting from the fact that the mask doesnt quite cover his face in a nice matter, so it bends outwards making him look like a fat hamster, but also It is the paint behind, the big stupid "scarff" or neck thing that "oooh look how cool it looks when it covers half your face for a photoshoot... but not live as you need to sing".... it is the big winter "homeless" jacket, it is the gloves, it is the old lady's hair..... all that combined is what (for me) it makes him look like the crazy pigeon lady of central park of home alone

you put this mask with short hair and wearing their traditional jumpsuits and he would looks fine. Made the mask a solid color like Mick's or Jim's and it would be perfect and most of us wouldnt care much, it would be "Slipknot"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    StrmRidr, BenjaminW and JK-PA like this.
  2. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Lots of guys digging waaaaay too deep into someone's mask that they wear while performing some music rather than the music and I find it hilarious.

Ralyks, sakeido, Apex1rg7x and 4 others like this.
  3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

with only two songs so far, theres not much to talk about yet, and when the masks (and looks/visuals) is half of what makes them "Slipknot" then yes, we are going to talk about their masks. Do I care about what the guys from Disturbed wear on their shows? not at all (or any other band), btu Slipknot being Slipknot, this is part of their band and what makes them "them" so yeah I would say their mask are as important as their music

do Im going to stop listening to them because a stupid mask?.... nope.... do Im gonna rant about a stupid mask?...yup....do I have something better to do?.....nope... :)

welcome to the internet

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’m not a huge fan of the new mask, but I’m even less of a fan of how many years have passed, and there’s not a huge difference in the music. What I mean is that when Slipknot started, they were a scary, intimidating, odd band with music to match. In the years since, music in general has evolved even further, so being scary, intimidating, and odd isn’t the same as before. So they’re shooting for the same thing in terms of looks, but the music sounds pretty tame, comparatively speaking. In other words, when I first saw and hear them, I thought, “holy shit, this is a band of serial killers playing music I’ve never heard before.” Now I see them and see this serial killer look, but the music isn’t that much different. But loads of other bands are doing music that is heavier and darker and weirder than them. Other bands have dealt with adapting to this in different ways, like Kiss going unmasked, Ozzy moving into a paternal role, Metallica doing stuff with the symphony, etc. I guess I just wish Slipknot would either change their music to push it into a more innovative direction, or alter their stage persona to not just be yet another expected evolution.

GunpointMetal and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  5. fps

fps Kit

I have some sympathy for this, but at the same time, they're Slipknot, and their style was the thing which you believe pushed the envelope. That doesn't mean it's then their vision to push that envelope further - they create the music they wish to make, in the style they wish to make, and continue to do so. It's not their job, or at least it's not part of what they consider their artistic preference, to then change their style in some kind of heaviness arms race.

And that's fine. There are much *heavier* bands than Slipknot, but very few who have a bigger impact in terms of atmosphere and mood for a very large number of people. I also believe they weakened their sound around AHIG but pushed themselves further creatively on Gray Chapter. They continue to do what they do, within their own area.

You say they are not being innovative, but quite simply you've heard an awful lot more music by now, and you've heard several Slipknot records by now, so that's why you believe this. If Slipknot tried to sound like a completely different band, not only would that betray the band's vision, but they would probably, in fact 99% certainly, end up sounding like some other band which already exists. What's the point?

Hollowway, isispelican and A-Branger like this.
  6. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I still think Corey looks like a hamster that was stung by a bee... Don't care what's the idea behind it or who is the creator.

7. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I will say that the live versions of the two songs have been better than the official music videos.

8. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

It's all complete shite. Slipknot lost it before their main songwriters died/were fired and it's been downhill since then. Seen them four times (the first in 2000, last being in 2005) and the Slipknot of 2019 sounds like complete garbage. Fuck em. I liked them 20 years ago, ha

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, that's true. I can't say I'd do it any differently, but at some point they'll have to figure out how to not seem like a band that's locked into a "schtick" from their debut. Most of us look forward to the new masks with each album, and maybe it would be cool to see them have something else that develops new with each album. Even if it were just new percussion instruments, or something. It's almost like what people say about Ghost. And, Ghost might be in the same camp if 20 years from now they're still sounding like Ghost of today, and are on P.E. 20, or something.

fps likes this.
  10. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I dunno, they don't give me remotely the same vibe as before. ST and Iowa they gave off the serial killer vibe. Looking like prison escapee Frankenstein monsters held together with duct tape and bad stitching. Vol 3 and on, things were way more polished and "classier." Button up shirts and not the typical jumpsuit thing. I think their image has matured just as much as their music, as much as you can say that about a band of mostly 40-50 somethings dressed up in bondage hoods and clown masks.

I dunno, their image isn't super important to me. I like the vast majority of their catalog, different albums for different reasons. They could ditch the masks/schtick and I'd still support them, but if they started writing uninspired music just because that's what fans wanted, I wouldn't.

I'm personally quite content with the band as it is. I dig the aesthetics/stage show, and I loved the gray chapter. Unsainted is one of my current favorite songs, and it makes me excited for the full album.

As for art, it's all subjective. You can say deeper meaning is irrelevant, but at the end of the day it's all part of the art's story. You're not wrong for being turned off by it, but that doesn't make it any less art. Doesn't make it good, or bad, either. I kinda like the subtle things. I like the "burned down and rebuilding" kinda thing as opposed to "lol, clown with pentagram face, and a penis nose getting jerked off, look how edgy and evil we are."

But you know... that's just, like, my opinion, man.

MerlinTKD, GunpointMetal and fps like this.
  11. fps

fps Kit

See, Ghost, to me, because they haven't really put much into the blender, seem more of a heritage act with strong visuals than Slipknot ever will. This is because their sound shifts, but tends to blend familiar elements from classic rock. They do shift their sound, but each new sound seems quite familiar. It would be nice to have a few more new sounds from the DJ, I agree. They've added a lot more guitar shredding, although that ironically makes them sound a lot more conventional a lot of the time, except when they're doing the trem picking thing high up the neck. That said, I'm excited to see Ghost supporting Metallica on Thursday.

Hollowway likes this.
  12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

They're so far removed from what they came out as with their "mission statement" of being heavy, pissed, and disorienting. I've said it other threads, but when they came out they had this dark, all-or-nothing art project vibe and said multiple times that the band could only last as long as the energy, and I personally think they should have stuck with that ideal, but I'm not cashing the huge festival checks they've been getting for the last decade at least, so my opinion obviously doesn't matter. They lost the "vibe" they had on ST/IOWA a long, long time ago...right about the time Corey did that shit-ass song for the Spider-Man movie and Stone Sour became a thing. The last few albums have been formulaic "arena anthem" singles with a lot of rehashed riffing and the lyrics and percussion keep getting lazier and lazier. I'll always check out their new stuff just because ST and Iowa had such an impact on me back in the day, but I haven't heard anything from them worth buying or paying for a ticket to see since that era.

Also, Corey's new mask looks dumb and their stage gear looks dumb.

JK-PA likes this.
  13. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

The amount of time taken by people on here to dissect what Slipknot should be and why they suck now is hilarious. These dudes have been together for over 20 years and you expect them to still be the angry, pissed off humans they were 20+ years ago? Do all bands change with age? Fuck yes they do, its inevitable. So at this point in their career they have found a sound and approach that works for "them"...its the art they want to create and it just so happens they can fill festivals and arenas wherever and whenever they want. I think the music is still very good, different but good. The masks are another thing honestly, a lot of people are all worked up over Corey's mask and its quite obvious that he had a vision for what he wanted and they nailed it. He likes that it makes so many people upset, its like he's proving his point every time he reads the negative comments about it. Personally, not even close to my favorite of his but I could honestly care less. I don't feel the need to write paragraphs on why something or someone sucks. All we see or read anymore about almost everything is negativity whether its on the news, social media or guitar forums. I'm just gonna enjoy Slipknot for what they are now and every once in awhile watch some YouTube videos of the shows back in the day when they were fucking crazy, lol.

p0ke likes this.
  14. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

This^ Also, a lot of people doesn't seem to know how aging works, apparently.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, and you know, if a band changes, then why not just accept the fact that they can be great in a different way? Also, if they did indeed sound like they did 20 years ago, I'm sure the same people would complain that they haven't even tried to develop at all and that what they're doing is irrelevant in this day and age :lol:

A-Branger and Apex1rg7x like this.
  16. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Haha no doubt. Just ask Metallica how that went for them. Still mega popular but damn, the butthurt hahaha

p0ke likes this.
  17. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

I see it in that way (in regards to other bands, too):

- you're in your 20's and you are angry. Angry AF. You find certain people and you write some amazing music because of it. You don't care about anything else, you just want to write and play for people (or play to get your anger (or whatever) out).
    - you're getting successful because of it. Some people and labels notice you and want to have you under the wings.
    - you get signed, you get the money for recording, touring etc etc (I don't know how exactly it works but this is only my image, tho).
    - now, imagine that you're doing it for 20 years with the same people. 20 years! You've had been successful, you have the money, fame and what not.
    - after 20 years of doing this, let's say that you're about 43-47 years old. Do people imagine how psychically and mentally strong you have to be to just keep going? Think about it.

There's no cure for aging. All people age. Even Corey :D People may shit on him and the Knot but man, they all have my respect for doing it this long.
    I don't believe when the're saying that the new album will be at least as good and angry as the first ones because it feels pushed and it feels like they are doing something just for sake of doing it. And the masks? Whatever. It looks boring to me but that's it. Nobody really cares about your (or the masses) opinion. I always wanted to live the musicians life but man, the stakes are real. It's really hard work, it can be frustrating as fuck and many times you're not getting something in return.

My conclusion is: don't try to pretend that you suck at doing music (and I'm not saying that Slipknot sucks, oh no), even if you was doing it for your whole life. If something is pushed and not honest, people will recognize it - especially the fans. It's amazing that they're still putting out albums but at the same time I kinda feel sorry for Corey because I have a feeling that he just want to live an easy and peaceful life singing his country songs with Stone Sour sometimes.

This post doesn't make sence, move on.

Apex1rg7x likes this.