New PUs for an RGA321f

Allealex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bad news, the bridge BKP Aftermath in my Ibby somehow broke down and basically all the electronic stuff in my guitar is basically fucked up.
I now need a new set of PUs, I've loved the Aftermath but right now BKP Is a bit out of my league in terms of budget.
I'm mostly a rhythm player and my style falls in all the "modern metal" branch (think Polaris, Wage War, Spiritbox).
The guitar is an Ibanez RGA322f, so mahogany body with a fairly thick maple top and maple neck, and I usually play in drop C.
Any suggestion would be appreciated 🙏🏻

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SD - Alternative 8, Custom Hybrid
Suhr - DSH, SSH+
Dimarzio - Titan, D-Activator

Love them for rhythm, lead not so much. Good string separation and available second hand for cheap most of the time.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
If you liked the Aftermath, I’d say Titans, too.

If you’re cool, you can go for Black Winters or D-Activators.

EMG 81/85 if you want to play it safe, as that will definitely cover your bases. But, I assume you’re not set up for actives.

Nazgul might be another contender since you’re into “modern” metal/metalcore.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Out of everything I've tried, the Titan is the most similar to what the Aftermath bridge does, and the matching neck is much more flexible as a bonus. The D-Activator will be a little hotter and more flat eq-wise than the Titan, which is tighter and has more upper mids/treble by comparison. Hard to go wrong with either of them for those band's tones.

On the Duncan side, the only set I've tried that gets in the same ballpark as the Aftermath is the Nazgul/Sentient. Not as close as the Titan, but broadly similar as far as being medium-hot, lean in low end, and havung an upper mid peak.

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Emg 81/85, Emg 57/66, EMTY blackouts, Nazgul/Sentient.
If you decide to go active, grab this kit. it's all plug and play and it has the right jack, pots and switch for your guitar. It also takes up way less space than an EMG solderless kit. I used it on my RGA121 https://www.ebay.com/itm/392264589057
I have bought quite a few kits from them and they are of great quality and i have never had any issues. Im too lazy/dumb to bother with soldering so these were a godsend for me :lol:

Last edited:

Jamiecrain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an RG with EMG 81/85 combo and it is definitely hotter than my other guitars. It is also tuned to Drop C and it sounds great and makes the distortion tones more...um...distorted. But the trade off is that EMGs don't have great clean tones because you can't split the coils.

If you are using a Helix or similar, then it shouldn't matter what pups you choose because you can use the EQ and OD in your patches to adjust for any variations in pickup tones.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Probably in the minority here but I like the crunchlab/liquifire set in the RGA321 the best out of anything I've tried in them. I also play in drop C.

I've had EMGs, BKPs, Duncans in my various RGAs over the years and the crunchlab always wins me back :lol:

Although the Titans would be closest to the aftermath probably as stated above. I'd also look at the SD Alpha/Omega set. It rules too.

Allealex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could try having your pick up repaired.
Unfortunately this is a no go, seems like it's gone for good
Emg 81/85, Emg 57/66, EMTY blackouts, Nazgul/Sentient.
If you decide to go active, grab this kit. it's all plug and play and it has the right jack, pots and switch for your guitar. It also takes up way less space than an EMG solderless kit. I used it on my RGA121 https://www.ebay.com/itm/392264589057
I have bought quite a few kits from them and they are of great quality and i have never had any issues. Im too lazy/dumb to bother with soldering so these were a godsend for me :lol:
I was thinking to remain passive cause I really don't want to do another cavity for the battery
Out of everything I've tried, the Titan is the most similar to what the Aftermath bridge does, and the matching neck is much more flexible as a bonus. The D-Activator will be a little hotter and more flat eq-wise than the Titan, which is tighter and has more upper mids/treble by comparison. Hard to go wrong with either of them for those band's tones.

On the Duncan side, the only set I've tried that gets in the same ballpark as the Aftermath is the Nazgul/Sentient. Not as close as the Titan, but broadly similar as far as being medium-hot, lean in low end, and havung an upper mid peak.
I have to say I've tried the D-Activator in an RG3120 (in terms of Woods Is almost identical to my RGA) and It really wasn't my cup of tea.
I think I'll go either for the Titan or Nazgul/Sentient set

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I was thinking to remain passive cause I really don't want to do another cavity for the battery

I have to say I've tried the D-Activator in an RG3120 (in terms of Woods Is almost identical to my RGA) and It really wasn't my cup of tea.
Oh dude, you wont need another cavity for the battery, that kit from ebay leaves plenty of room in the main electronics cavity to fit a battery in. Just wrap the 9v in a little bit of the foam that the pickups come in and it will be good to go 🤘🏻

Last edited:

SubsonicDoom99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

D-Activator is cool but not sure that's the right choice for you given what you said you're after and everything.
I definitely think the Titan or the Nazgul/Sentient would be the way to go.
I sometimes have a bit of a love/hate with the Nazgul, but I think with the kinds of tones you seem to be after and that particular guitar would probably work well with it, plus I really love the Sentient.

Allealex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, since I live in EU and a Sentient/Nazgul set costs basically the same as a set of Lundgren M6, I was wondering if this could be another choice to take in consideration.
I've heard wonderful stuff about them, has anyone tried one?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, since I live in EU and a Sentient/Nazgul set costs basically the same as a set of Lundgren M6, I was wondering if this could be another choice to take in consideration.
I've heard wonderful stuff about them, has anyone tried one?
Never tried them, but I'm also curious, and I've also never read anything bad about them.

With that said, this thread inspired me to get this for my own RGA121
20220812_104736.jpg
I'll probably install it between this weekend and the next.

Allealex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never tried them, but I'm also curious, and I've also never read anything bad about them.

With that said, this thread inspired me to get this for my own RGA121
View attachment 112399
I'll probably install it between this weekend and the next.
they really seem to get the job done in these guitars, let me know what you think about them :) Unfortunately they didn't really work for me when i tried them

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
they really seem to get the job done in these guitars, let me know what you think about them :) Unfortunately they didn't really work for me when i tried them
For sure, I'll let you know.
Surprisingly, I don't think I've ever played D Activators, even though they seemed to have been on everything for some time. I did hear a few demos on YouTube between them and a SD Black Winter, and I was surprised that I preferred the D Activator's sound on almost every setting I heard, even though most people in the comments seemed to prefer the BWs.