New Lamb of God album, Omens, is on the way

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
This just sounds like the band is writing music to accompany Randy's slam poetry/spoken word.

Can we also stop making "Nevermore" the de facto single word title for every new metal song now?

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
man that single is very meh. I liked the last album and love LOG to death but this aint it chief

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve long come to terms with the fact that we’ll never have the ATPB/NAG LoG again. I don’t shit on them for it because whatever the fuck they’re doing is working. They absolutely slay live and longtime LoG fans like me will always go see them while they keep bringing in new fans.

There was some stuff on Wraith I really dug and while I’m stoked they’re reaching out with some different things in a song or two, I’d prefer a really strong change in their music. Like there was a strong change that came with Sacrament, a new change is in order, IMO.

For me, they’ve been writing the same album for over a decade. Killswitch has done the same thing and I’m over it….love what it started as but damn….give me some variation.

I’ll still go see every show I can, but if they’re going to do LoG-by-numbers, I’d prefer a different era they got the numbers from.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
After reading the article and seeing the album art, have they done any B-side albums? I recently re-watched the Sacrament making of and there's some riffs that were pretty dope and never materialized, but I'd be curious to see if they ever turned into full songs later down the line.
I do know that Resolution was mostly made from the material that Mark was writing for his side-project with Dez from Devildriver. He wasn't so happy with what he got back vocally, and was short on time to supply riffs for the next LOG album.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I literally cringed out of my chair at Randy's weird like whisper moaned intro minute to that song. The lyrics? The fuck?

Never was into this band, really, but this is the same band that put out Laid to Rest and Terror and Hubris in the House of Frank Pollard? Doesn't sound like it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For me, they’ve been writing the same album for over a decade. Killswitch has done the same thing and I’m over it….love what it started as but damn….give me some variation.

I’ll still go see every show I can, but if they’re going to do LoG-by-numbers, I’d prefer a different era they got the numbers from.

Not surprising that the two are going on tour together in the fall

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Resolution was the last great album IMO, and I actually (somewhat) liked Sturm Un Drang or whatever the fuck it was called.

For me, the song writing and the riffs just haven’t been up to snuff for their catalog. They used to write some pretty fucking raw lyrics especially Ashes of the Wake and before, but now it sounds like Randy became a boomer pissed off about politics and wrote about it for a local paper.

Before at least the distress sounded like legitimate protest and not a complaint filed with city hall.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sacrament came out 16 years ago. We're old.

The lyrics in that one song blew and Randy doing that Peter Steele impression would only be cool if he wasn't doing it on a LoG song

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
Sacrament came out 16 years ago. We're old.

The lyrics in that one song blew and Randy doing that Peter Steele impression would only be cool if he wasn't doing it on a LoG song
I still consider LoG to be a newer band. That's old.

tofudoom

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Song was absolutely terrible and pissed me off. Mission accomplished?

Also, metal is probably the genre that benefits the least from lyric music videos. I'm sorry to say it, Randy, but you're no Leonard Cohen.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Resolution was the last great album IMO, and I actually (somewhat) liked Sturm Un Drang or whatever the fuck it was called.

This thread is pretty interesting so far...Resolution was a low point for me, but I really liked Wrath and was under the impression it was a fan favourite from day one. So that's where I'd draw the line, personally. I felt Sturm und Drang was a much better album than Resolution--it won a bunch of album of the year awards, including from Sam Dunn--yet it didn't bond with me beyond 2 or 3 songs for whatever reason. The self-titled I haven't listened to enough to really comment...I recall thinking it was decent when I gave it a spin.

I’ve long come to terms with the fact that we’ll never have the ATPB/NAG LoG again. I don’t shit on them for it because whatever the fuck they’re doing is working.

This place seems to shit on every new release, so take that as you will. I think Lamb of God have earned their stripes and don't put out bad music even at their worst. That said, all the albums after Wrath have mostly been a blur and I don't think that's all on me as a listener.

One thing I will say is that, at his best, Randy Blythe is one of the greatest lyricists in metal. This song was not that.

The vocal style in this single is erratic even by Randy's recent standards. The fact Randy insists on recording alone and does not deal well with criticism from his bandmates seems to be showing in the music at this point.

I'll reserve my criticism until more songs are released, though. You never know...if there's even just 3 hits on this album, that'd be a success for the band. Their setlist is so jam-packed already.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I do agree. I think lamb of god are still a great band, and if they had released everything after wrath with no prior recordings, they’d still be quite popular and I’d probably still think they were great. But this is the Metallica effect; the first half of the catalog was so overwhelmingly strong, that anything less is disappointing.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread is pretty interesting so far...Resolution was a low point for me, but I really liked Wrath and was under the impression it was a fan favourite from day one. So that's where I'd draw the line, personally. I felt Sturm und Drang was a much better album than Resolution--it won a bunch of album of the year awards, including from Sam Dunn--yet it didn't bond with me beyond 2 or 3 songs for whatever reason. The self-titled I haven't listened to enough to really comment...I recall thinking it was decent when I gave it a spin.

This place seems to shit on every new release, so take that as you will. I think Lamb of God have earned their stripes and don't put out bad music even at their worst. That said, all the albums after Wrath have mostly been a blur and I don't think that's all on me as a listener.

One thing I will say is that, at his best, Randy Blythe is one of the greatest lyricists in metal. This song was not that.

The vocal style in this single is erratic even by Randy's recent standards. The fact Randy insists on recording alone and does not deal well with criticism from his bandmates seems to be showing in the music at this point.

I'll reserve my criticism until more songs are released, though. You never know...if there's even just 3 hits on this album, that'd be a success for the band. Their setlist is so jam-packed already.

Very much agreed.

At this point I think of them more as a live band than anything. Even the songs that don’t blow me away on recordings sound great live with the energy behind it.

And that band can still get an audience tearing it up. I’ve seen them so many times live now, the last two times being Rockville and on the Slayer farewell tour; the crowd went absolutely apeshit at the Slayer show and as soon as LoG got off the stage the energy of the audience dropped about 60%, like “Oh yeah, we still have Slayer we gotta sit through….”

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very much agreed.

At this point I think of them more as a live band than anything. Even the songs that don’t blow me away on recordings sound great live with the energy behind it.

And that band can still get an audience tearing it up. I’ve seen them so many times live now, the last two times being Rockville and on the Slayer farewell tour; the crowd went absolutely apeshit at the Slayer show and as soon as LoG got off the stage the energy of the audience dropped about 60%, like “Oh yeah, we still have Slayer we gotta sit through….”
Can confirm they are mental live . I saw them on the Slayer Tour as well , although the Slayer pit was a bloodbath . I imagine some songs off this album will be great to hear in person . There's been some albums ( from other bands , even genres ) that weren't my all time favorites but seeing it played live changed my mind . So let's wait and see !

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't like Art Cruz as their drummer. The music sounds so formulaic, whereas Chris Adler was so new and refreshing when they started out.

That said, new song isn't half bad, or maybe I've been numbed by how metal seems to have lost its balls in the last decade or so.