New Gear or winter vacation with family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggevaio

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're serious but are you telling your family about this choice? Family always comes first and if you usually go on a vacation during winter you will probably get a lot of shit for spending the money on gear instead. However, if You got some extra cash on hand and plan on surprising the family with a vacation I would get some gear and buy some nice gifts for the family instead. :p

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
If my kids want a dream vacation they have to earn it by educating me on what tone wood would be best for my dream guitar.

I'm just kidding you please know that....in all seriousness I am buying the guitar or amp. Life is disappointing and there is no reason for me to spend good money to convince my children otherwise by teasing them with a week spent somewhere they won't spend the rest of their miserable lives.... and the concept of a family vacation together died with the cellphone in every kid's hand.

And there is a new EVH striped and a 2023 Hanneman coming out. You're question couldn't have come at a worse time for me financially

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Already got the dream guitar, so that answers that.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I bought my dream guitars before he was born. Like when we were planning for the pregnancy, I was also drawing up my custom shop order(s). A little foresight serves the gear buying well. Just budget for the vacation AND the gear if possible.

But always choose the kids first. They grow up so fast.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played on an out of tune knockoff for years as a kid. I can do it again.

No way this is fucking real. OP trolling hard.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Kids, I know we talked about going to Hawaii but dad really needs this new telecaster. Sorry."

I actually did get a new dirt bike out of our honeymoon. She wanted to go riding for our honeymoon, and there was no way I was doing that without a brand spankin’ new fuel injected digital tuner compatible 250 cc four stroke.

vejichan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well life has come down to two things for me at this point. Working and taking care of family.

The only thing that occupies my mind all day at work that keeps me going is going home to my family and and buying that next guitar or amp.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
one day I'll die and my surviving family members will get my gear so in a way it all IS for my kids
“See Jr., once daddy dies, then you can go to Disney World. You just need to put all of my gear on Reverb and wait a few months.”

:lol:

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
OP, why wouldn't you want a vacation? Gear is awesome, but experiences are great, too.

Anyway, the choice is kind of a false dilemma in terms of practicality, like you've got Sweetwater and Expedia open in separate windows with credit card in-hand while there's a gun to your head. Of course, family/household is a priority, but you can always budget separately for discretionary purchases. Put a few bucks in the vejichan guitar fund once in a while; put a few more bucks in the family activity fund, too.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Take the trip.

Besides, it's not even that much of a price gouger to get the dream guitar. Thus, making it a win-win for both yourself and the family. Anything else is simply not worth the time, and definitely not worth the money.

image.jpg

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say you may combine both, choose a place with nice guitar stores nearby for gear souvenirs ... 😉

It's wise to incorporate kids to the music & musical instruments, instead of letting them waste their time to tech gadgets...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
IMO if you're in a position where you have to make a definitive choice between the two, you might want to reconsider doing either of them. "I will be broke and have no other expendable money after this" would be a deal breaker for me in both of those choices, so I would either:
a) do neither until you can do both
b) compromise on both so you can do at least some version of both
c) do the family thing, so that the kids grow up well adjusted, get good jobs, eventually buy you the gear, and then you still end up at A in a roundabout way.

But before all of that -
Are we talking about "I have some spare money and I haven't decided what I want to do with it", or is there an explicitly expressed family plan - something they said they wanted, or you've talked about doing - that you're denying them so you can buy stuff? Those are very different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.