New Baroness

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by KnightBrolaire, Mar 15, 2019.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

Feels a lot like it could have come from Purple.

Mike, BlackMastodon, IGC and 2 others like this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Darn. I love Red and much of Yellow/Green but Purple got too bland IMO

3. KnightBrolaire

Yellow/green and blue are my favorite albums by far. They feel like more dynamic albums with how they mixed aggressive parts and softer parts. Purple is a lot more straightforward and softer overall

Veldar likes this.
  4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yup, sounds just like something off of Purple, which I liked, so that’s not a bad thing. I agree, Yellow & Green was my favorite. It’s weird though, just like Mastodon, I prefer the later records and most people prefer the early records.

Mathemagician and Veldar like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

I prefer the middle albums the most from Mastodon (Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye, the Hunter) just like I do with Baroness.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

So it looks like Orange is gonna be the next colour theme then?

Veldar likes this.
  7. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

The new album is entitled Gold & Grey, and the first single "Borderlines" sounds fantastic!

[​IMG]

Solodini, BlackMastodon and Dineley like this.
  8. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Love the song, hate the mix

9. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

That's Baroness, for ya

Veldar, stevexc and AdenM like this.
  10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Is it just me or is it really difficult to actually discern what they’re singing?

11. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

My favoirite thing is the cover art, and I like the more unrefined nature of the mix, it has a garage vibe like Skeletonwitch.

budda likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You know, I was not very enthusiastic going in, I didn't really jive with Purple, or really much of the direction the band headed post-Blue/post-accident.

That said, I really enjoyed that track, and I'm glad I listened to the whole thing - a couple times - before making a judgement. Really grew on me as the song progressed.

I'm fine with the fuzzy mix, really like how bass forward it is and how well you can hear Gina's backing vocals.

I'm always going to miss sludgy, heavy Baroness, but I'm more excited for this release now.

The only critique I can give, I don't think that had to be a 6 minute song. But that's a very minor gripe.

Doesn't help that most Baroness lyrics are gibberish... I'm sorry, I meant "cryptic poems". That's from an actual review of Blue I read some years ago. :lol:

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm liking this more than I did Chlorine and Wine when it first came out, and I still liked Purple after giving it a proper listen, so I'm optomistic about this one. Looking forward to listening to it through more than phone speakers, but I like how the song sounds so far and I'm really glad Gina's vocals are coming through. Always liked their dual vocals on a lot of the hooks on their older stuff and it sounds fresh with her vocals thrown in.

14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I like this slightly more the second time I'm hearing it but it's a bit...background musicey, can't see myself being compelled to sing along to it in the car like Shock Me/Try to Disappear (but then....that might mean I get through the whole album instead of switching to something else after the two songs that I like to sing along to).

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm surprised to read so many people singling out Purple. I like Purple, but it isn't altogether different music than what was going on on Yellow & Green. You'd think that if you don't like Purple, you would have started not liking Baroness on Y&G.

I've been listening to Baroness since they were practically a sludge band on their first two EP's, so I remember being kinda turned off by Red and especially Blue when they each first came out. Funnily enough it was the albums Yellow & Green that turned me around and made me appreciate the progressive, non-heavy aspects of this band, and now I think Purple is my favorite album they've put out.

You guys ever listen to First or Second? Definitely worth checking out. At the time I called it "another Mastodon", but it really isn't. But then again that was also back when Mastodon had more hardcore and fewer progressive elements in their music as well.

16. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

yeah the earlier stuff definitely has a Mastodon "Remission" vibe.

I've been with them since the beginning as well and really enjoy all of the versions of Baroness.

Best dad rock band around.

ArtDecade likes this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

All of the big mid 2000s georgia sludge bands at that time had hardcore/Neurosis esque vibes (Black Tusk, Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa,etc) but baroness, and mastodon basically removed that type of sound from their later albums. I think that was the best thing Baroness/Mastodon ever did in terms of cultivating unique vibes.

Veldar, Thaeon and vilk like this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I can honestly say that I don't think Baroness had ever released a bad album. They're that good.

They've just released very different albums that take awhile to digest if you were looking for a sound closer to the previous release.

I got into them when Red came out, and found First and Second while waiting on Blue to come out.

I absolutely LOVE Red, and really enjoyed the earlier EPs. Blue took a number of listens to get into, but now I think it's my favorite album in the bunch. It took even longer (and just recently) for me to come around to Yellow and Green, which I think is thier softest release, kinda bloated, but I think that's how I feel about most double albums. I still haven't jived with Purple, and it's not for a lack of trying. I'm sure I'll come around eventually.

I already like this new single more than anything I've heard on Purple.

celticelk and fps like this.
  19. Nonapod

Nonapod SS.org Regular

For me the rule with Baroness has always been that I have to listen to the entire album all the way through at least 3 or 4 times before making a proper determination. Just listening to a single track in isolation doesn't give me a good feel. It's like reviewing a foot without looking at the rest of the body. Baroness is definitely an album band. I view their work contiguous thing. I have to the whole album on repeat while doing housework or something.

20. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Wasn't huge on Chlorine and Wine first time I heard it but Purple ended up being one of my favs. Still stoked on Gina and new stuff, though this single isn't 100% my bag.

Veldar likes this.