New amp purchase opinions please!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by glytch5, Feb 13, 2019.

1. dongh1217

dongh1217 SS.org Regular

Old DSL crunch channel boosted is so freaking amazing, personal favorite out of all the modern Marshall’s.

5150 iii 50w is impressive too, just love it and I believe it’s much better build quality wise compared to old Uk made DSL.

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Damn @glytch5

That sucks man. Hopefully you can just get a new one from EVH/Fender? I know you really liked it when it was working.

3. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

Update... spoke with the certified Fender shop... they literally will not tell me what they did to fix it.. however they said they had to replace parts even though they saw no problem... Fender says "take it to the shop" the shop says " deal with Fender"
    I fired up the amp again tonight... and the problem did not happen.. it is apparently intermittent... I am recording each jam session until I catch it on film... this is a nightmare... I don't think i'll ever give Fender my money again... unless they replace my unit!

No one will touch the thing and its under warranty... very annoying. The guy at the shop won't take my word for "red plating" I am not talking about a little extra redness here and there.... look on google at the absolute worst example of red plating you can find, and that is what i have but worse... the plates literally disappear... its just all bright orange/red. Looks like a fire, and is equal in both power tubes.

4. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

Here is the link to the problem. I made a short youtube video... ignore my speech as I was very irritated at the time and sound like a douche.

5. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Get an email address for the Fender shop and send them the link to the video dude.

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

The thing is... the owner on the phone told me he doesn't want to see it... he said just play it till it blows up then bring it in... and that he ant touching it as is. Got in contact with a person from Fender on the phone i had been emailing with... he is sending me to a different shop... hopefully they can find the problem. If not I think Fender is going to replace it.
    Something in the bias has to heat up just enough and the bias fails... perhaps one the rectifiers in the power supply? The bias has its own power supply in this amp... something in there does not like the heat. The certified EVH repair shop was not smart enough to open up the amp, and heat up components until something failed.

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Sounds like bad soldering to me. It’s always possible that either a coupling cap or resistor failed just upstream of the grids, but I wouldn’t expect that to be intermittent with heat. Weak solder will definitely do that as the amp heats up though. Rectification is basically just flipping the negative sine wave up to positive; then the filter caps smooth the signal, effectively creating a DC signal. If a diode in the power supply failed, you’d most likely have a very noisy amp and a blown fuse.

8. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

Could be right... its a relatively complex schematic. I probably should have looked at it before I purchased it... since the other amp I was looking at was a DSL 100 watt... figured the circuitry couldn't be any more of a mess than that thing is lol... guts of the DSL is horrific... boards everywhere flipped every which way...
    I will keep you all updated on if this new shop can fix it... or if Fender holds true to their words and replaces it.

9. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

Amp has been dropped off at next Certified repair shop... estimate was 1 week for repairs.

Werecow and Deadpool_25 like this.
  10. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Hope it's all sorted out soon for youi :)

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Have you tried new power tubes? I have had redplating before, and just popping in new tubes made it work again.

12. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Wow! What a runaround. Fender should have just sent you a new unit, instead of making you deal with that assclown shop.

13. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

well no... but I took it to a certified EVH/Fender repair shop... you would think they would know to try that. If I grab new tubes I have to go through biasing them anyway... the problem doe snot occur until you play it for a while... which would indicate the bias is running away... so if new tubes fixes it... you would hope that the repair shop would have caught that! lol. But who knows.... hopefully this place will figure it out.

the guy from Fended on the phone said they generally make 3 repair attemps before determining its time for replacement... he said since this is been such a hassle that if this next repair does not work we will work out a replacement... it has been almost two weeks and no word from the shop! Hopefully this weekend I will hear a calll.

XPT707FX and Deadpool_25 like this.
  14. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

So it has been 4 weeks since I dropped it off at repair center # 2.... I have left messages and have heard nothing back.
    I called today and someone picked up... he said they have not even looked at it yet! Man... Fender your certified repair shops are freaking killing me!

15. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Had problems with two seperate EVH 5150iii el34s brand new etc.
    First had some strange tube issue SW replaced; second just stopped working...like amps do.

Fixed it and then sold it. No such issues with my Peavey 5150/6534+

Also, had it at the Fender repair shop for sometime. Whatever is breaking in them isn't an easy trace and Fender isn't being helpful/doesn't have the knowledge base to do a solid fix.

16. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

That's some straight up horse shit. I'm so tired of garbage customer service.

17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'd startup with regular phone calls, everytime explaining the full situation , and how long it's been and really push for a new replacement.