New amp build

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool Build !

I never seen that brand of caps before...nice work !

Mike

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
beautiful wiring work! I second that, tell us more about it! have any clips? Is it based off an existing circuit?

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Well done, very clean wiring. Is it based on a particular amp sound?

Edit: just saw the post above mine lol, tell us more man!

guitarxtc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
great job!
what’s the preamp modeled after?
got a schematic to share?
I started form zero, tried many ideas from all preamp tubes in parallel,2 cathode followers,plate TS, 3,4,5 stages....and to me the best combination is:first stage parallel,2-3-4-cathode follower-tone stack,no cold clipper or diodes.
Capacitors quality make big difference in every single position,if you go to the extreme with 50-120usd per cap :)

owlexifry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I started form zero, tried many ideas from all preamp tubes in parallel,2 cathode followers,plate TS, 3,4,5 stages....and to me the best combination is:first stage parallel,2-3-4-cathode follower-tone stack,no cold clipper or diodes.
sweet. would be keen to hear a demo!
do you have any youtube or soundcloud clips to share?

the build quality here looks very clean and impressive.

Capacitors quality make big difference in every single position,if you go to the extreme with 50-120usd per cap :)
idk man.
it's easy to assume that using expensive high quality caps automatically = significantly 'better tone'. but i'm not sure that's entirely true.

eg. you could have used CDE orange drops for the coupling caps and it'd probably sound objectively much the same (in a double-blind A/B comparison)

and then cathode bypass caps are even less critical, since they don't actually carry/transmit audio signal, they merely affect the bias of their respective gain stages and don't require more than a 25V rating.

but that's ok, i completely understand the desire to use the best possible components money can buy. there's nothing wrong that.

ingredients matter, the but the recipe is much more important.

this is why people ask about the design and any existing preamps/amps it may be inspired by, because every amp is going to have influences from a pre-existing circuit in one way or another.

for a high gain preamp, absence of a cold clipper is quite unique. there's not many that go without one. makes me wanna hear this amp even more 😉

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wow, that’s impressive! I’m a complete caveman when it comes to understanding circuits and tube amps, but I love that you’ve built this.

guitarxtc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
sweet. would be keen to hear a demo!
do you have any youtube or soundcloud clips to share?

the build quality here looks very clean and impressive.

idk man.
it's easy to assume that using expensive high quality caps automatically = significantly 'better tone'. but i'm not sure that's entirely true.

eg. you could have used CDE orange drops for the coupling caps and it'd probably sound objectively much the same (in a double-blind A/B comparison)

and then cathode bypass caps are even less critical, since they don't actually carry/transmit audio signal, they merely affect the bias of their respective gain stages and don't require more than a 25V rating.

but that's ok, i completely understand the desire to use the best possible components money can buy. there's nothing wrong that.

ingredients matter, the but the recipe is much more important.

this is why people ask about the design and any existing preamps/amps it may be inspired by, because every amp is going to have influences from a pre-existing circuit in one way or another.

for a high gain preamp, absence of a cold clipper is quite unique. there's not many that go without one. makes me wanna hear this amp even more 😉
With high quality caps you get more clarity for sure,even in cathode bypass,not always better, but depends what you want :)
I will make a video and drawn schematic with preamp,poweramp,loop,filtering and transformers specs