New Amon Amarth album: Berserker

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Alex79, May 7, 2019.

1. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau I am the liquor

They used to be one of my favorite bands. I lost interest after Surtur Rising. The new songs ain't bad, it's just too repetitive and cheesy for me.

However, I can't wait to see them live next week with Slayer, as I know they put one hell of a show.

Razerjack likes this.
  2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Sounds decent, songs are nothing out of the ordinary, not a lot of catchy riffs overall and the drums are too loud. 12/20
    They managed to get more formulaic than Maiden, which is no small exploit. (ACDC isn't formulaic, they're ACDC)

3. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Yeah, quite formulaic, but good. Even my wife likes it, which means that there isn't anything particularly extreme sticking out.

Alex79 likes this.
  4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Listened a few times. Really enjoying it. It sounds like Amon Amarth, which is absolutely fine by me. Solid riffs. Heavy. Good solos. Guitar harmonies. I don’t see anything to complain about. If I want staccato stop starts with weird time signatures, there’s an abundance of that.

The bass sound on this album is awesome. Punchy, with heavy distortion, and you can hear the bass at all times but it isn’t overwhelming.

Mathemagician, BusinessMan and Alex79 like this.
  5. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Well, not every band needs to be experimental and art-nouveau. We have enough of those and most get tedious by desperately trying to appear intelligent and exquisite with their music when we all know that it does not come from the heart but is written to impress a small portion of the marker.
    Let some bands be heavy and cheesy, we need that too in our life...and also axes/vikings.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I just realized I could have Prime Musci'd this forever ago and I'm ashamed of myself. I love this band.

7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

After some thorough listening to the album, I now feel it is a decent effort, but struggles to maintain overall form. There are two great songs on it - Fafner's Gold, which is a great opener, and Into The Dark, which is definitely up there with the best AA songs - some very good ones and some lousy ones (Ironside, ugh...). I can't help but think that the album would have been received better had they left one or two songs off it actually!

MAJ Meadows SF, Descent and KailM like this.
  8. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    What they do, they do it well. I definitely am enjoying it, because they've never had a misstep. Of course their older material was more interesting and IMO better, but they hit a stride and keep going, with flashes of brilliance and an occasional heavy banger. Jomsviking was there best in the last 10 years, but this is still cool. I think they could benefit from getting darker with the riffs, like on Versus or Fate of Norns, even off their first record; and by all that I mean that's what I love most from them. But Berserker is still good. AC/DC of metal? Yeah sure but cooler because Vikings. I like their style and what they offer even if it doesn't change.

If you want to set a dumpster on fire over stylistic change and "who used to be good but now WTF", start a thread on In Flames....

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Listened to this a few times at the gym. I think the writing is solid, but the tone, specifically the lead, is just awful. Gets absolutely lost in the mix.

Overall I think this would be much more interesting sounding and dynamic album if they had their 06'/08' tone.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  10. MAJ Meadows SF

That's still their best sound, IMO. With Odin On Our Side was heavy as hell and right at the edge they needed to be on as far as production without begin over done. Still a hint of grit and grind. They got way too clean afterwards.

Mathemagician, KailM and budda like this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:agreed:

That and Fate of Norns hold up the best I think.

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

This is a band i desperately need to revisit.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO that album is their highest point.

I'm seeing them live tomorrow, so I should probably catch up on some of the newer material.

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

So much this. Their newer material is just too polished and sounds a bit sterile because of it. I have to retract some of my words earlier, as I picked up Berserker and there are in fact some good songs and nice riffs. I just think after a couple months of listening to it, it will likely fall out of my rotation like their last three albums.

15. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

While I quite like this album, I can’t help but agree to this statement (music falling out of me personal rotation). I find this true with most new music. I always end up listening to the older songs in my collection. Sure I listen to it on shuffle if it comes on but I won’t actively go searching for it unless I’m in a certain mood.

16. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

If I had never heard them before and someone handed me this album i’d Dig it.

17. MAJ Meadows SF

Both of you are correct. It's just what happens with records anymore. I tend to listen straight through a few times before going back to certain songs. The sheer volume of bands I listen to limits the time I can give. Ola Englund has argued that because of this and other factors the album format is kinda shot. Releasing EPs and singles gives bands more frequent releases and relevance, more focused material, and better shelf life. I see pros and cons to it, but it does seem to work exposing bands and material like on Bandcamp. But that's a whole other topic to post about.

Man, seeing them live is where it's at. I had one bad show, and what was bad was the volume at the venue (The National in Richmond VA). Seen them 6 times at least, twice in one weekend with Enslaved (Orlando and Tampa). It all sounded awesome live, and they work the crowd well. Great performers.

BusinessMan likes this.
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Saw these guys yesterday. I was correct, would have served me better to have listened to some newer material before going. :lol:

19. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

They are killer live that’s for damn sure. I’ve seen them twice live