New 10 string pics!

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:hbang:Oh yes! Tom Drinkwater ( Oakland Axe Factory) sent me pics of this beauty today. By far the best ERG I have EVER seen:metal:

Simple yet awesome design.

1_blocke10.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool! What scale length did you decide on? And did you determine where the vertical fret would be? I'm finalizing my 10 string build with Tom, too, so I'm excited to see he's already started yours!:yesway:

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello my friend! We decided on going with a 30-27"; I wanted it to sound tight. What scale length did you decide on? I hope the best of the build with your guitar!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a very exciting build BR10N!

I like the decently long scale lengths. What tuning are you planning to use?

Looks like you're going with a straight pickup - was that for ease of pickup selection and to avoid having to go custom?

If the bridge is angled then the straight pickup placement will give you more of a middle pickup sound on the low strings than an angled pickup would. (comment not intended as a criticism just interested in learning more about your design concept.)

Fantastic to see more 10-string ERGs :shred:

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks Durero!

It will be tuned: C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G , B, E, A

I wanted this ERG to be relatively simple with some cool parts.

I chose only one pickup so that I could run it through my dime amp. That thing can cover the low frequency range like you wouldn't believe; so I only wanted one pickup. I also love the middle pickup sound because on my amp It has a warm crispy tone especially on the lower string.

Will keep you all posted!

Love your band BTW that nine string is just Oh My!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool specs and I love the tuning - Garry's high A strings are addicting!

Looking forward to more updates, and thanks for the compliment :)

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you planning distortion on that C#? I ask because I'm thinking on getting a true 7 string baritone made, that means low B/A an octave down :)

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was going to run it clean to see how it sounds. I wanted it to sound tight so we'll see. With your guitar It really depends on what style you want; I also like to set my mids at about halfway. Don't know if that helps. Sorry, I'm not the greatest with amps.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hello my friend! We decided on going with a 30-27"; I wanted it to sound tight. What scale length did you decide on? I hope the best of the build with your guitar!

We're thinking 25.5-28.5 (or 25-28.5). Tom talked with Garry, who said that a 30" C1# string will sound bassy inherently at that scale length, and if I want a guitar tone I should stick with 28.5" or shorter. He said he could build a string for any scale length to sound guitarlike. I tried emailing Garry to ask what he thought the best scale length would be for a C1# string, but his wife/employee emailed me back and said they don't offer advice on building guitars, and that I should leave it up to Tom, but they can build a string at any scale length to sound good. I was kind of disappointed with that answer, because certainly Garry must have some opinion about the ideal scale length for that string. And secondly my entire guitar is going to be designed around an O4P C1# and O4P A4, so I'd love input with him as to the best lengths. I'm just paraoid about building a shorter length with a lower pitch than on my current ERGs because it's counterintuitive that a longer scale length will sound more bass like, and that a thicker, shorter string will sound more guitarlike.

Tom also said that the 27-30 would work great for cleans, but the distortion will sound better at 28.5 (for the C1#) and I definitely want the distortion to sound good (i.e. like a guitar).

So I'm still not 100% sure on the scale length, But it looks like 25.5-28.5 will probably be the answer. :yesway:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
We're thinking 25.5-28.5 (or 25-28.5). Tom talked with Garry, who said that a 30" C1# string will sound bassy inherently at that scale length, and if I want a guitar tone I should stick with 28.5" or shorter. He said he could build a string for any scale length to sound guitarlike. I tried emailing Garry to ask what he thought the best scale length would be for a C1# string, but his wife/employee emailed me back and said they don't offer advice on building guitars, and that I should leave it up to Tom, but they can build a string at any scale length to sound good. I was kind of disappointed with that answer, because certainly Garry must have some opinion about the ideal scale length for that string. And secondly my entire guitar is going to be designed around an O4P C1# and O4P A4, so I'd love input with him as to the best lengths. I'm just paraoid about building a shorter length with a lower pitch than on my current ERGs because it's counterintuitive that a longer scale length will sound more bass like, and that a thicker, shorter string will sound more guitarlike.

Tom also said that the 27-30 would work great for cleans, but the distortion will sound better at 28.5 (for the C1#) and I definitely want the distortion to sound good (i.e. like a guitar).

So I'm still not 100% sure on the scale length, But it looks like 25.5-28.5 will probably be the answer. :yesway:

It's counterintuitive because it's wrong!

When it comes to low pitch:

- long, thin, flexible strings = stronger overtones = more twang & clarity = guitar-like tone

- short, thick, inflexible strings = suppressed overtones = more mud & rumble = more bass-like tone

Granted different players may have differing opinions on what makes a good guitar tone but unless you're coming from a more mellow hollow-body neck pickup jazz guitar kind of tone then I stand by my statement that longer = better. I'm assuming you're after a clear distorted tone in that low range that's desirable in a metal context.

Also, what's good for clean tones, longer as Tom says, is also good for distortion. I'm not sure what Tom's reasoning is, does he listen to extreme metal such as Meshuggah? But at any rate I've proven to myself through my own instrument designs that longer scales are far easier to achieve clear distorted tones from than shorter.

I'm basing my opinion on my own collection of instruments with scales ranging from 25.5" to 28.5" to 30" to 32" and 36" and 15 years of research and development with pickups and multi-scale designs.

/rant :)

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll post some more pics when I get them from Tom. When I post it as a NGD I'll try to get a sound sample of it as well:shred:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's counterintuitive because it's wrong!

When it comes to low pitch:

- long, thin, flexible strings = stronger overtones = more twang & clarity = guitar-like tone

- short, thick, inflexible strings = suppressed overtones = more mud & rumble = more bass-like tone

Granted different players may have differing opinions on what makes a good guitar tone but unless you're coming from a more mellow hollow-body neck pickup jazz guitar kind of tone then I stand by my statement that longer = better. I'm assuming you're after a clear distorted tone in that low range that's desirable in a metal context.

Also, what's good for clean tones, longer as Tom says, is also good for distortion. I'm not sure what Tom's reasoning is, does he listen to extreme metal such as Meshuggah? But at any rate I've proven to myself through my own instrument designs that longer scales are far easier to achieve clear distorted tones from than shorter.

I'm basing my opinion on my own collection of instruments with scales ranging from 25.5" to 28.5" to 30" to 32" and 36" and 15 years of research and development with pickups and multi-scale designs.

/rant :)

That's true, you are the resident ERG guru. I forgot how long the strings were on some of your guitars. I'm still very tempted to do the 27-30". Tom said when he makes a 10 string for himself, he'll likely do that scale length. But he said that Garry said the 30" scale would have the timbre of a bass, whereas the 28.5" would have the timbre of a guitar, and that's why it would sound better.
Anyway, I just emailed Laurie from O4P back asking about the strings, to make sure. She said (in the original email) that Garry can make a string for C1# at 25.5" with whatever feel and timbre I want. So I asked her what would be the ideal string length for C1#, not what was possible, and if he is saying that he can make a 25.5" string to sound the exact same as a 30" string at C1#.

And Br10n, totally sorry for the thread derail, dude! I feel like a bit of a troll with the couple of threads I've been in lately. 1000 apologies!

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trust me Holloway, I am NO geius when it comes to guitars.:eek:

The whole point of this thread was to talk about the 10 string

No worries man

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Trust me Holloway, I am NO geius when it comes to guitars.:eek:

The whole point of this thread was to talk about the 10 string

No worries man

Haha, thanks! We will be geniuses when these are done!:lol:

BR10N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Totally forgot to mention this but the guitar will also have a coil tap run from the EMG 45DC. Sorry!

Latest posts