need help in a waaaaaaay to overlayered mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kamello, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

hey guys, Im having some issues getting this song "right".
    so far I think that the main issues are that clarity gets lost with the sheer ammount of things happening at the same time, but I've already heard bands with a similar aproach getting good results (Corelia, Uneven Structure, Periphery)

the different tones and sounds by themselves are actually quite thin so I think the issue here has more to do with levels rather than EQ or multiband comp

the other issue are vocals, they are sounding very amateur-ish to me and they don't make justice to this awesome singer, yet, for other projects I've had no problem with this

https://soundcloud.com/emiliosfeir/vanta-the-shroud/s-oEYyG

2. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

Hey there!

I like what you got going here, and I can fuck with the vibe here. But it sounds like the balancing of this is really off. The drums are kind of eating a lot of space due to being so processed off the bat (I would tame that high end just a touch). Some of the layers are getting lost in this. it would help to back the compression off on these. The vocalist is also extremely loud, and the verb/delay is consuming everything as well. It would help to tame some of these things a little. Pan your tracks out in a staggered manner (if you already are, disregard). If they are thin, give them a bit of life by playing around with the mid-to-low frequencies. And I think you're right that messing with the leveling would probably help a lot. And if possible, trying EQing the vocalist's verb too.

As for his actual performance, it does appear to be very spotty. He seems to be closing up when he goes high and I'm just unsure there is a solution outside of re-tracking. I appreciate his emotion, but it sounds like he is looking for notes the whole time. Not sure you can simply get around that one :)

gienek and kamello like this.
  3. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

@Rational Gaze, took a while but finally I did a few more mixes in this song and I got a result that got me comfortable, the high end on this was shrill as fuck but I tried my best to tame that and level everything

here is the result

btw, the other guitarist in my band is huge fan of you guys! definitely gonna check your new material

Rational Gaze likes this.
  4. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

Hey man, much better. It's a bit more balanced. The vocals could still sit back a bit more, but I think you've done the best you can with what you have.

And hell yeah man :) Good to hear. When you get a chance to check out Gravity Waves, lemme know :)

5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Your cymbals disappeared and the guitars midrange bite is gone. Some of these tom transitions sounded really uncomfortable in the fade spectrum (too much left/right spread IMO). Kicks are also kinda low and need more definition.

Real or fake drums? Sounds like drum machine/program to me. Maybe work on getting better balance. I am picking up a lot of copy paste drum parts in there, especially that transition with the toms right appears and does the same thing every time.

Honestly, at this point I could recommend a mix engineer. It is a good track but sounds like you might need some help with the mix. You can check the guy we used on
    http://scrollkeeper.bandcamp.com

6. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I’m no mix master, but it’s definitely still off listening through my iPhone speaker. Having said that, the vibe and riffs are there. I would totally listen to this as a “Corelia” fix haha.

Seems like you need someone to mix and master, you’re getting there but a little outside perspective can save you hours on end of experimentation. My 2 cents, try Adam Bentley from arch echo. The dude has the gift...