Need An Impulse Loader With 6 Slots

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's the dude who wants to simulate six mics on a cab as easy as possible that is the one who is crazy.
Eh, for me, it's more the dude who wants to simulate six mics on one cab, but at the same time it never crosses their mind to try routing their VST into three separate channels where their two-impulse shell is loaded, and instead posts to a forum asking for someone to tell them where they can find one that holds six impulses, because that's what someone in a video did.

Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a day, you know?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I find a lot of those tutorials more damaging than helping as amateurs will start to pick up techniques that they "saw their favorite producer do it" but not know the reason WHY they did it. I never complicate my flow without having a direct reason to do so. Let plug ins and techniques solve a problem you're having, not the opposite.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eh, for me, it's more the dude who wants to simulate six mics on one cab, but at the same time it never crosses their mind to try routing their VST into three separate channels where their two-impulse shell is loaded, and instead posts to a forum asking for someone to tell them where they can find one that holds six impulses, because that's what someone in a video did.

Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a day, you know?
I agree for the most part, I'm almost always a less-is-more kind of person and would rather use the tools I have. But writing and recording is no place for rules so if homeboy wants to do things just like Johnny then more power to him.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find a lot of those tutorials more damaging than helping as amateurs will start to pick up techniques that they "saw their favorite producer do it" but not know the reason WHY they did it. I never complicate my flow without having a direct reason to do so. Let plug ins and techniques solve a problem you're having, not the opposite.
It's almost worse that a lot of the stuff is coming from guys whose entire experience is (not saying that is the case here) making production videos on YouTube.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree for the most part, I'm almost always a less-is-more kind of person and would rather use the tools I have. But writing and recording is no place for rules so if homeboy wants to do things just like Johnny then more power to him.
...which is why most of my posts in this thread have been, "great, I don't get the need, but you found a solution. Now, how many OTHER ways of doing it can you figure out?"

I mean, the internet and computer-based recording has opened some pretty awesome doors to us all. But one of the downsides is with so much insight out there, there's definitely a tendency to just go and copy and paste other people's solutions, rather than spending some time thinking about a problem and working it out on your own, or just learning to use your ears. This particular video might sound great, but there's probably a few other ways to get similarly-great sounds without feeding a certain VST into an impulse shell that can hold six mics at once, you know?

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This particular video might sound great, but there's probably a few other ways to get similarly-great sounds without feeding a certain VST into an impulse shell that can hold six mics at once, you know?
Oh yeah, and I like the Fortiori stuff, but it's not a godly or super unique tone, either.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I like the Fortiori stuff, but it's not a godly or super unique tone, either.
TBH I'm far more interested in some of the other applications of the basic parallel-processing guitar tones applicaions here. Sure, you could send one VST into six cab impulses... but why not also try routing several VSTs into the same cab impulse, or doing some creative EQ work and, say, low-passing the signal fed into one VST, high passing the one fed into another, and recombining them all into a single cab?

THAT kind of stuff is, well, probably going to sound like shit, but much more interesting than virtually sticking six mics on the same cab.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
there seem to be some misunderstandings here. maybe people should watch the videos instead of making assumptions.

in the video the guy isn´t using 6 impulses on one guitar track. he uses 3 for one side and the same 3 for the other side. LeCab makes that very easy. one scooped sounding impulse, one very mid forward and one room mic. maybe a bit much by todays standard, but it´s not outlandish of an approach, either. i´ve seen setups like that before.

about the general complexity of it, keep in mind these videos are 10 YEARS OLD!!! maybe also the reason why the voice recording quality is so bad. back in 2012 Djent was super big and everybody was tone chasing like crazy and doing crazy things with a bunch of gates and compressors in the chain. back then people enjoyed fiddling around and learning stuff by trial and error and, well, now we know better and now we rather advice against unnecessary complexity.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I did not see it was that old since I just listened to it.... It is a little dated!

It is misleading though since there was a huge jump in volume when he added the second IR. He could have done anything with that much of a gain increase and it would sound better.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I did not see it was that old since I just listened to it.... It is a little dated!

It is misleading though since there was a huge jump in volume when he added the second IR. He could have done anything with that much of a gain increase and it would sound better.
Yeah, exactly. You can't really do an accurate A/B without volume matching.

Also, the OP seems to have peaced out, which is probably too bad because I think some of the more useful comments came after he found his loader. :lol:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It seems like If you're doing a couple in front, one or two in back and and couple room mics it'd be cool, but it also sounds like a potential phasing nightmare. If it sounds good why not? It'd probably be a lot easier to use 6 real mics though because you can move them around, but for real. Virtual moving isn't the same thing really unless the program somehow takes that into consideration, which I'm not familiar enough with. Sounds like it'd be fun for awhile then a chore if it doesn't work well pretty fast. Put a reference stick sound in there so you can see/hear how stuff is aligning along the way and against each other for every movement. I'm just guessing most these loader and plugins have this worked out already?

Edit; those tones in the OP's vid are good to my ears. Why not just do that if that's what you're trying to do? I'm not comprehending for some reason.

Last edited:

BaylorPRSer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not trying to load 6 mics (trying to load 3, but I need 6 slots like LeCab has, so I can run 1 instance of the IR loader for my 2 guitar tracks). When you watch the video, you will see that. I apologize for any wording on my end that resulted in this confusion.