Need An Impulse Loader With 6 Slots

BaylorPRSer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently recording from a POD HD500x into an oooooooooollllllld Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on a 64-bit HP Laptop running Windows 11.

The DAW is Cakewalk.

This is what I'm trying to achieve^

I downloaded Lepou Lecab from here: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/958/

The problem is that when I fire it up, it starts making ungodly (as in shit) sounds, both when recording and monitoring.

To verify that the plugin was the issue, I fired up the Pulse IR loader, and it worked. The problem with Pulse is that I don't have enough slots.

I reeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyy liked the above 6 slot setup with the God's Cab.

If it's not the plugin that's the issue, what else could be causing the problem?

If I can't get Lecab to work, are there any free IR Loaders that will allow me to achieve the above?

If not, which paid IR Loader would work? I'd prefer something that has support service, so if I run into the same issue, I'm not left high and dry.

BaylorPRSer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you using multiple slots to blend cabs? As a workaround I suppose you could use multiple parallel versions of Pulse or NadIR.
Correct, 3 different IR files from the God's Cab pack.
I mean at a time, do you really need to use 6 IR's in one signal chain...?
Well it's only 3 different IR's but 2 hard panned guitar tracks are routed to a group channel, so I'm running 1 instance of the plugin while using all 6 slots (a right and a left for each IR), which is a total of 6.

This right here^ with all the slots being used.

If I routed a left track and right track to a group channel, and used 3 IR loaders on it, would that work?

For example, Pulse has 2 slots, so I'd have 3 pulse plugins on a group channel with 2 hard panned guitar tracks going into it.

I'd then choose "Stereo" for routing in the Pulse plugin, and put the same plugin on both sides. Each instance of the pulse plugin would have a different IR.

Or would "Mono" or "Dual Mono" be the choice for routing there?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Correct, 3 different IR files from the God's Cab pack.

Well it's only 3 different IR's but 2 hard panned guitar tracks are routed to a group channel, so I'm running 1 instance of the plugin while using all 6 slots (a right and a left for each IR), which is a total of 6.

This right here^ with all the slots being used.

If I routed a left track and right track to a group channel, and used 3 IR loaders on it, would that work?

For example, Pulse has 2 slots, so I'd have 3 pulse plugins on a group channel with 2 hard panned guitar tracks going into it.

I'd then choose "Stereo" for routing in the Pulse plugin, and put the same plugin on both sides. Each instance of the pulse plugin would have a different IR.

Or would "Mono" or "Dual Mono" be the choice for routing there?

I'm sorry this just sounds ridiculously complicated for no reason? I'm still not understanding what it is you're trying to achieve here? You can hard pan the entire track and just slap an IR or two on and call it a day?

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
It does sound overly complicated, and what do you gain from that in the mix over say using two IRs on some panned tracks? Or quad tracking with two IR's per track? You could use a variety of IR's that way to create different guitar tones and textures.

I have not watched the video but will at some point to see what it's all about, I'm genuinely curious.

BaylorPRSer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Preciate that you guys want to help. I must not be explaining it correctly. watch the video if you can. This link has the exact time when he talks about how he sets up the Impulses with the group channel. It's not that complicated, I promise.

BaylorPRSer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does sound overly complicated, and what do you gain from that in the mix over say using two IRs on some panned tracks? Or quad tracking with two IR's per track? You could use a variety of IR's that way to create different guitar tones and textures.

I have not watched the video but will at some point to see what it's all about, I'm genuinely curious.
I just did exactly what you described, and I'll be honest, it sounds massive to my ears, but I'd like to avoid having multiple instances of the plugin running. going to try Turd Ferguson's suggestion.

Hears the tone I dialed in if you're curious, let me know what you think:

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ah, i remember the good all days of LeCab. for everybody who´s confused as to why you´d want three impulses on either rhythm guitar track - you could blend a primary mid, secondary mic and room mic. makes for a HUGE tone. not great for tight modern tones. but for big sounding power chords it´s a great approach.
just the other day i made my own impulse of my cab miced up with two mics. both sound good on their own. but blended it sounds massive. i haven´t used LeCab in years, though. maybe there´s some compatibility issue at this point? not sure.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently recording from a POD HD500x into an oooooooooollllllld Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on a 64-bit HP Laptop running Windows 11.

The DAW is Cakewalk.

This is what I'm trying to achieve^

I downloaded Lepou Lecab from here: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/958/

The problem is that when I fire it up, it starts making ungodly (as in shit) sounds, both when recording and monitoring.

To verify that the plugin was the issue, I fired up the Pulse IR loader, and it worked. The problem with Pulse is that I don't have enough slots.

I reeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyy liked the above 6 slot setup with the God's Cab.

If it's not the plugin that's the issue, what else could be causing the problem?

If I can't get Lecab to work, are there any free IR Loaders that will allow me to achieve the above?

If not, which paid IR Loader would work? I'd prefer something that has support service, so if I run into the same issue, I'm not left high and dry.

Two Notes Wall of Sound can load 6 IRs simultaneously and is way more stable than LeCab

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I understand what you're looking to do here - I usually track with two mics, even if occasionally I don't end up using both - but I'm still confused a bit on the why. Can't watch Youtube from work, but I assume you're basically looking to simulate using six separate mics on a cab, more or less? If so, then you could do this easily enough using a couple IR shells in parallel, even feeding them off a single VST and panning them differently... and I get that part of the fun of computer recording is you can do insanely complex routings fairly conveniently that you very likely wouldn't try in real life...

...but I have a HARD time seeing how six separate IRs are really going to be THAT much better than two well-chosen ones, especially when it comes time to try to fit all of that guitar into a busy mix. Idunno, to each their own. I'd definitely experiment, well, with NOT doing this, but also with finding a couple alternate approaches to get to the same point, if nothing else because it's good practice thinking how to really stretch your tools ITB.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I listened to the video yesterday in the car so I wasn't watching but when he starts adding IRs the second one with the tube screamer seemed much louder. The third IR didn't make a significant difference in the tone in my opinion.

It doesn't seem like the best comparison because generally louder is going to sound better because you're hearing more detail vs it being quiet.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also, I guess I'd reiterate the final point - the real benefit of this, IMO, is forcing yourself to think creatively about how to push the limits of your tools and really think outside the box (not in the ITB/OTB mixing sense but in the problem solving one) about how best to handle parallel processing in a mix - that's a basic thought process that probably will pay dividends elsewhere in mixing, even if this particular solution is of unclear benefit. I'd strongly suggest spending some time figuring out how to get the same results with the tools you have, and then thinking about how you could apply some of those same lessons to solve other mix problems entirely unrelated to IRs.

ArtDecade

カシオペア
Reaction score
Guys recording metal are just weird. I need eleventy IRs and a few dozen noise gates or I can't get the low end that sounds brutlz.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys recording metal are just weird. I need eleventy IRs and a few dozen noise gates or I can't get the low end that sounds brutlz.
Yeah man, people with big studio budgets definitely never put more than one mic on anything or spent days auditioning cabs or recorded through multiple heads and multiple cabs simultaneously or hours and hours auditioning pedals for one little part or made a drummer play in a hallway or rented a castle to record in or spend years working on one record on a label's dime in genres like classic rock. People never, ever took that much effort or time to make other music that turned into an end product where nobody but the engineer and the musicians had any idea how time and gear was wasted to make that one guitar solo sound slightly different than the other guitar solos. It's the dude who wants to simulate six mics on a cab as easy as possible that is the one who is crazy.

ArtDecade

カシオペア
Reaction score
Yeah man, people with big studio budgets definitely never put more than one mic on anything or spent days auditioning cabs or recorded through multiple heads and multiple cabs simultaneously or hours and hours auditioning pedals for one little part or made a drummer play in a hallway or rented a castle to record in or spend years working on one record on a label's dime in genres like classic rock. People never, ever took that much effort or time to make other music that turned into an end product where nobody but the engineer and the musicians had any idea how time and gear was wasted to make that one guitar solo sound slightly different than the other guitar solos. It's the dude who wants to simulate six mics on a cab as easy as possible that is the one who is crazy.
I seem to have struck a nerve. You are good enough. You are smart enough. And - gosh darn it - people like you.