Need amp for apartment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JustinRhoads1980, Apr 1, 2019.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Hey guys so i am going to be moving into an apartment within 2 months and i obviously am not going to be able to play my marshall at the volumes i would like to and the lower volumes i just find them to sound terrible.

I want to get a smaller amp that has a great sound and has lots of good features and is a high quality amp. I am seriously considering getting the boss katana 50w, and i just wanted to know if this is the best option for me. And the only thing i will not consider is the line 6 spider. I tried one of the newer ones at very recently and did not like it and i would not put my money into that.

Any suggestions?

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Consider using VST’s on a laptop like mercurial or TSEX50 and decent headphones.? That’s what I did and I did not regret it at all when I had an apt.

Joan Maal and budda like this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

So like getting a DAW like the focusrite 2i2 and getting a program like reaper and using plugins like fortin nameless or something like that and play using that?

Mathemagician and IGC like this.
  4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Which Marshall do you have now? And what kind of tones are you shooting for (bands preferably because people use Marshall’s for everything from blues to death metal)

5. JustinRhoads1980

Dsl40c. I have tried everything to try to get to sound good at lower volumes and it is just not the same. Even putting it to the 20w version is dtill not my thing.

Aiming for metal tones so the likes being Cannibal Corpse/slayer/ Randy Rhoads/ Pantera/ Maiden.

6. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

solid state Randall or Peavey

7. gunch

gunch chungus

Interface and vsts, programs like bluecat axiom seem like a decent alternative to having to get and learn how to use a DAW

Descent likes this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

You could go with a pedal setup and a 1x12.

AMT M2 > AMT TC-3 > 1x12 cab

devastone likes this.
  9. gunch

gunch chungus

Assuming you have a moderately to decently modern and powerful PC to run everything with, if not go pedals into a Radar and headphones or what bearitone said

Some Floor modeling units (Ie Hotone Ampero) can be used as an interface too and that's pretty neat if you want to run the modeler into a IR loader on your pc

10. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

FYI, Focusrite 2i2 is a recording interface, guitar>processor>2i2>computer. Ableton/Reaper/Pro Tools/Reason = DAW (digital audio workstation) or multi tracking software program. I have a line 6 tone port (recording interface) that I plug the " line out " from my old Pod Pro rack processor into, then usb out of toneport to my computer usb. On the back of toneport are two speaker outs that i plug into my powered studio monitors.
    You can jam thru a track in your DAW, hot swap fx/midi/ pluginz. in your case replace toneport with 2i2

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  11. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

+1 for Interface / Amp Sim / DAW
    Some great sims out there - Fortin, TH3 are my go to. Heard good things about Blue Cat. Mercurial stuff is good, Scuffam has a good rep but haven't tried.
    You can use Reaper as your DAW and that's basically free, although I hear it has a bit of a learning curve. If you're on a Mac - Logic is hard to beat for the price. If you're on a PC, a lot of people like Studio One by presonus.

Other options / thoughts:
    1) Keep your Marshal and get attenuator like the Fryette Power Station, the Rivera Rock Crusher or the OX. Maybe a little pricey, but you keep your amp and they have tons of additional feature.
    2) The Yamaha THR10X is a great little metal amp. Sounds awesome, a ton of tones, bunch of effects, deeper editing via the app, can connect to your PC via USB for recording, takes pedals fairly well. I love mine. Can also run on batteries in a pinch for some heavy metal parking lot. Can get surprisingly loud for a tiny amp, but definitely apartment friendly. Can find used for under $200
    3) The Katana is not a bad option at all. Has tons of features, sounds decent. I still prefer the Yamaha.
    4) Most of the small 20W tube amps I've tried have either been a little lackluster at lower volumes or too loud for an apartment once they started to get to a tone I liked. That said, a bunch of smaller amps came out at NAMM this year, so they might be better.

All said and done, I'd still go with the interface / sim / daw setup. The tone has come a long way, as has the "feel". Getting comfortable recording in a DAW has been a big help to my playing. Being able to load / program midi drums and play against a beat is huge. Being able to record quickly means you don't lose riffs you might otherwise have. In this day I think it's a critical setup that every guitarist should have / learn about and it's pretty cheap to get into.

XPT707FX and SloeGin like this.
  12. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I don't like being tied to a computer for playing guitar so I think this is the way to go.

Getting a whole new sound with a different preamp is super easy and there's a lot of variety out there. Add a Radar in and you'd be able to practice silently.

bracky likes this.
  13. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’d probably just buy a high gain pedal and run it into the Marshall personally. You already have a power amp and speaker available, and you like the sound when you can turn it up. Between AMT, Bogner, Diezel, KSR, etc there are tons of options that will work with your Marshall at apartment volumes without needing to spend a ton.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

1. go direct into interface like a scarlett 2i4-> VSTs like mercuriall, thermionik, fortin - can practice silently and record silently,
    2. buy a torpedo captor and use it as an attenuator/loadbox or as a DI into interface - can either practice/record silently, or just make less noise compared to non-attenuated
    3. Go digital and direct into interface (kemper, helix, etc)/ or into an FRFR
    all of them are good options ime, just depends on what's easiest/most cost effective for you. If you already have an interface then it's only a couple hundred bucks at most for option 1 or 2 (depending on what you buy)

15. JustinRhoads1980

Seriously considering the interface option.

I actually do plan on buying a kemper for the future which that wouldve been perfect for my situation, but i dont have the funds for something like that. If i get something like a katana it would only be temporary.

Really considering doing this. Seems the best of both worlds. Plus i am gonna need a setup like that sooner or later when i record

16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Budget?

I live in an apartment and my home rig is a Fryette GP/DI and some pedals. I’m less than $800 in for the amp, power supply, board and pedals. For the cost to use ratio I get the most out of this rig than pretty much all my past rigs.

The routing options for this are pretty cool; there are a bunch of outs and you can run lines for a cab, into your interface for the amp tones and a separate DI for reamping, headphones etc at the same time.

It’s a 1 watt amp with some seriously great tones in it; tight and modern, slower and sludgier, awesome cleans.

At 1 watt, it can get loud, but it doesn’t have to, and sounds just as great at low volumes as it does full on. You might even be able to run this full volume in an apartment with no issues. You can find these used for around $500, and it’ll push a 4x12. Apply a boost if you want one and you’re good.

17. JustinRhoads1980

I think I should have added this into my original post which is that I will be living with my family in the apartment and they are annoyed at the low volumes of my dsl and so I will have to have something be very quiet and be able to use a headphone out. Plus I am sharing a room with my brother and I don't think he wants to hear me practicing.

Budget would be $300 <. If it were my choice I would be getting a Kemper and call it a day, but unfortunately I do not have the funds for it and this new apartment friendly purchase will cut into my savings for one.

18. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

If you're gonna go the vst sim route and budget is a concern, there are a ton of free amp sims and IRs that sound great. All you need is an interface and you're set.

The Ignite Emissary is a beast, and it comes packaged with an IR loader and some solid impulses to start with. I Iike a lot of the other Ignite preamps, the LePou stuff is also solid.

19. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

Here's my super budget recommendation:
    Audio Interface: Behringer U-Phoria (any of the U-Phoria models, your choice of how many ins and outs you need)
    Price: $99 - $150
    I have the UMC404HD - it's great. Everyone will recommend the Focusrite stuff, and it's good, but the Behringer U-Phoria is just as good, cheaper and you get more for your money. They bought a company called Midas and put their preamps in these interfaces. They sound great. I'm not saying it's Universal Audio quality, but it's also not $700. Buy one of the bundles from Adorama and you can get some accessories for free.

Amp Sim:
    Ignite Emissary 2.0: Free and absolutely awesome. Maybe not the best on the market, but it's good. Did I mention free.
    Fortin NTS Suite: $112. Believe the hype, it's fantastic. There is usually a 10% off code floating around, sometimes higher.
    Both come with IR loaders and solid IRs.

DAW (I'm going to assume you're on a PC):
    Reaper: Free to $60. I seem to remember that the trial never ran out but I don't know if that's true. Either way, $60 is worth it. Full featured, huge community. Steep learning curve and I've heard not as intuitive as others.
    PreSonus Studio One: Free, $99 or $400 depending on the edition. I've never used it, but heard good things. I didn't realize they had any other edition besides the $400 one. Not sure how the Free and $99 measure up, but I assume you can upgrade as you get more comfortable.
    If you happen to be on a Mac, get Logic for $200, it's worth it over garage band.

Other plug ins: Your DAW should come with some decent ones, but you can find some really good free ones at kvraudio.com

Monitors / Headphones: I hate playing with headphones but I've done it. I would suggest putting aside $100 for a good quality set of cans meant for recording. Which set is a huge topic, there are a bunch of threads here and on other forums that I would read up on. My AKG K240s can be had for $60, sometimes less. They're decent, not the best, but they'll do the job once they break in. I've upgraded to a set of Sennheisers and those are fantastic but pricey. Sometimes you can get a killer deal on massdrop. If you go with monitors, same deal with research. $100-$150 is not a lot, but if you can find a decent set used, that's the way to go. I have the Yamaha HS7 but those would likely be out of your price range (even used). Bigger is generally better (to a point) and depending on your room.

Depending on which route you go, you can keep your whole set up under $300
    If it were me and I wanted to spend as little as possible while getting a solid setup, I'd go U-Phoria UMC204HD, Emissary 2.0, Studio One Prime, $150 for a set of used studio monitors (5" minimum speaker size).
    So basically $280 for the interface and monitors. Then I'd upgrade the software as I became more comfortable and had funds. If you're OK with headphones, you can save some scratch. In a pinch you can get by with headphones you already have, just realize the sound will be colored.

I'm sure folks will disagree with some of my recommendations and that's to be expected, million ways to skin a cat. Hopefully other will chime in. This is just the choices I would make. And yes, it's a can of worms and not as easy as plugging into an amp. But it's a can worth opening - the options it will give you creatively are worth investing in. If it's too complicated, I stand by my previous recommendation of the Yamaha THR10X - $150-$200 and you're good to go.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  20. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

gerra loadbox