NCD Part 1: Sleeper cab day

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
New cab day, pics first:

81-F81-AFA-1-E36-4-C90-9-C13-FE66-F07-F8-E9-D.jpg

It’s a Yamaha S412V. Never in my life had I thought a Yamaha 4x12 be in my future, but after months of watching guitar center’s used selection of cabs online, I saw this for $220, looked it up and it came stock with UK V30’s. I had no idea what the construction would be like, but for that price I could gamble and buy an unloaded cab or build one later and use the speakers. If they weren’t the original speakers, it was going back via local gc return.

Or so I thought.

It was delivered, and the first night I had it, I popped it open. What I found was two UK V30’s and two Peavey OEM speakers that I thought would be junk.

Wrong again.

They are 1970’s Peavey/CTS speakers from an original Super Festival 4x12.

A little history on these, they were produced in the same factory in Kentucky that Eminence later bought from CTS.

They have a unique mesh center dust cap, 38oz ferrite magnet and 125w power handling.

As far as sound, they are fairly smooth sounding speakers, not scooped but with a really nice round midrange, very prominent tight low end, and a tapered off but pleasant sounding high end.

Paired with the V30’s, this and my triple XXX are thrash or 90’s death metal city, and that’s with a single coil bridge pickup (I think of @Gmork every time I play through this set up).

Prematurely, I ordered a bogner/line 6 spider valve OS 4x12 with confirmed V30’s to replace this cab upon finding non-original speakers before looking them up or playing through them. The wife was kind enough to inform me that if I like both, I can keep both as long as I treat her to a pair of decorative laundry hampers. SOLD!! Haha.

This should be an interesting gear week for me, stay tuned for more.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Neat!! Im pretty jealous lol ive wanted a xxx for so long.. Never seen one irl or local.
A yamaha cab eh?! Huh! Im really not too surprised, yamaha makes some quality stuff! One of my BFFs uses a yamaha 2x12 combo (not sure the model) and its pretty awesome! Def has that fendery sort vibe and it's loud as heck! Congrats!
So are you still getting the randall 1x15+2x12?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Neat!! Im pretty jealous lol ive wanted a xxx for so long.. Never seen one irl or local.
A yamaha cab eh?! Huh! Im really not too surprised, yamaha makes some quality stuff! One of my BFFs uses a yamaha 2x12 combo (not sure the model) and its pretty awesome! Def has that fendery sort vibe and it's loud as heck! Congrats!
So are you still getting the randall 1x15+2x12?
I was going to pick up the Randall instead of both of the 4x12’s I mentioned and the dude ghosted me. I was pretty pissed and I think at some point I’d like to build an equivalent if I don’t see another one come up… if not 2x12+15 then closed back top and ported bottom 4x12 (separate compartment like the Randall).

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the construction: it’s not my favorite but it sounds good. It is basically identical to a Marshall 1960b in construction: cleat mounted front and rear baffles, with the front one mounted to also secure the grill cloth (that is basically my only gripe on the construction method). Dimensions are a little bit more oversized, it’s a small bit taller.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
That description of the OEM speakers reminds me of something along the lines of a Classic Lead 80, which happens to be one of my favorites for pairing with Vintage 30s.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
That description of the OEM speakers reminds me of something along the lines of a Classic Lead 80, which happens to be one of my favorites for pairing with Vintage 30s.
That’s really interesting, I haven’t seen much about classic lead 80’s. I might have to give them a try someday.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's weird but oh well! Congrats on the new cab!

I was guessing it was from the Yamaha/Soldano era but it sounds like it's newer than that.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an old Yamaha 215 that was basically their take on the SUNN 215B (not the folded one, the one with a tall side port)

The particle board had rotted out almost completely but it sounded fucking rad right up until it fell apart completely. Also had some mysterious old speakers in it, one Fender bassman and one ???

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I had an old Yamaha 215 that was basically their take on the SUNN 215B (not the folded one, the one with a tall side port)

The particle board had rotted out almost completely but it sounded fucking rad right up until it fell apart completely. Also had some mysterious old speakers in it, one Fender bassman and one ???
Dude I love those ???s super crisp highs and the lowest of lows. They cut through any mix no questions asked.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score

This is one of those 70’s Peavey/CTS Super Festival speakers, mic’d with an sm57 just off the dust cap, about a half inch away from the grill cloth.

I’m actually shocked as shit at how good this speaker sounds on its own. I didn’t fuck with any EQ at all, just a noise gate in GarageBand. Obviously it’s not perfect and I suspect my guitar needs intonated, but I’m still blown away.

This was: stock Jackson JS32T RR > behringer UM300 (clean boost settings), Donner Soph Gate > Peavey Triple XXX crunch channel > Yamaha 4x12 with the aforementioned speakers> SM57> TC Helicon Go Twin> GarageBand IOS.

ChrispyFinch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll never understand why Yamaha and Peavey arent trusted amongst guitarists as a source of gear. Yamaha has been in the game a LONG time and make great stuff all around. I just picked up an Yam acoustic that i A/B with high end taylors and the Yam was better sounding and playing. and 1/4 of the cost.
Peavey made some great amps/speakers too.
There is a lot of love to be found in these products.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

This is one of those 70’s Peavey/CTS Super Festival speakers, mic’d with an sm57 just off the dust cap, about a half inch away from the grill cloth.

I’m actually shocked as shit at how good this speaker sounds on its own. I didn’t fuck with any EQ at all, just a noise gate in GarageBand. Obviously it’s not perfect and I suspect my guitar needs intonated, but I’m still blown away.

This was: stock Jackson JS32T RR > behringer UM300 (clean boost settings), Donner Soph Gate > Peavey Triple XXX crunch channel > Yamaha 4x12 with the aforementioned speakers> SM57> TC Helicon Go Twin> GarageBand IOS.

Needs :hbang: react

Sounds like hell, good job

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I'll never understand why Yamaha and Peavey arent trusted amongst guitarists as a source of gear. Yamaha has been in the game a LONG time and make great stuff all around. I just picked up an Yam acoustic that i A/B with high end taylors and the Yam was better sounding and playing. and 1/4 of the cost.
Peavey made some great amps/speakers too.
There is a lot of love to be found in these products.
I love Yamaha acoustics, generally. I agree on all points.