NAD: are 56k jokes even relevant in 2019?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Jan 11, 2019.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Oh what's this?
    [​IMG]

Looks like we'll need something to open that up...
    [​IMG]

No, not that. This will have to do
    [​IMG]

Okay, some potential cfc's...
    [​IMG]

Oh, what's this under here?
    [​IMG]

Alright, enough messin around. Here ya go
    [​IMG]

Damn that's an awful lot of glass
    [​IMG]
    And there's the wierd uncle way in the back.... Currently being used as a makeshift PA right now.
    [​IMG]

The Story:
    For those that don't know, this is a peavey roadmaster, the main stage amp of Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth. Ever since hearing it's little brother, the rockmaster, at a show I've been on the lookout for one of these. Now, I'm NOT trying to imply that this particular head was owned by SY. However, in a wierd "twist of fate" I did purchase it from one of the founding guitarists of ... Mushroomhead. That being said, the amp was packed super well. The tubes we're removed, boxed up, and individually bubble wrapped and labeled with thier respective position. Dude shipped it super fast, and was incredibly friendly throughout the whole process. I actually found the amp through the Peavey cvlt Facebook group and we've exchanged quite a few messages about gear and other music related things. Safe to say he's a pretty cool dude and a breeze to do business with.

The Sound:

Just going off first impressions, this amp absolutely slays. Clean channel is clear and "glassy" with a middle or neck single coil. The built in reverb is decent enough. Just not very prominent (quick decay and not very loud). Possibly the tube driving the reverb is going out? The power amp is loaded up with some fresh sovteks, but a new set of preamp tubes probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Either way, I always get my reverb from a pedal, so I'm not worried about it at the moment.

Now the lead channel? Oh my. Extremely gritty and aggressive. Lots of attack, and surprisingly defined for a vintage amp. And the gain has an interesting character I'm not used to, but really like. Every other amp I've owned has always just gotten fizzier the more gain you pile one, but it sounds like all the grit is somehow "concentrated" in the low mids, of that makes any sense. As a result, the more you turn up the gain, the more the amp just roars. I haven't had a ton of time to dial it in yet, but right off the bat the lead channel can cover everything from doom, sludge, stoner, hardcore, and wvereveryt in between. And if the lead channel doesn't cover it, then running my boss os-2 into the clean channel definitely does. Not to mention it has independent 3 band eq and independent thick and bright switches

While waiting for the amp to arrive I studied over the manual to get a feel for how to dial it in, and the "gain block" on the lead channel is a pretty interesting, but also hard to understand feature. It's made up of 3 knobs: pre gain, pump, and post gain. According to the manual and my loose understanding of it, the pre gain knob determines the amount of gain at the input stage while the post gain determines how much signal reaches the power amp. That's all pretty standard. However, I'm not really sure what the pump knob actually does. Apparently it "changes the character/gain structure of the amp" and the effect of each knob will change relative to the positions of the other knobs.... All I can hear with my ears is that turning everything closer to 10 just adds more grit and volume, but I'm sure I'll notice more subtleties after spending more time with it.

Tl;Dr: this thing is damn loud, and definitely worth the wait.

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I laughed out loud at the tattoo.

Congrats dude, I can smell the slow and heavy from here.

Alex79, Konfyouzd and broj15 like this.
  3. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Congrats man, hope you've got ear plugs ya might need them lol.

And I think I have the same cab that the musician head is sitting on. :shred:

broj15 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Yes! I have a friend with one, had never heard of it prior to his band.

Good grab.

broj15 likes this.
  5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

It's a 412f I'm pretty sure. No caster so transportation is the worst. Like I have no problem hauling seou d anything else I have, but for that reason I hate that 412 lol. Bot to mention it's wired for 2ohm so the only head I own that can even function with it is the musician :/

Thanks! I was sold after hearing the rock master live. Seems like there's always a few of those online, but I really wanted a 2 channel amp and I must say it was worth the wait.

wedge_destroyer likes this.
  6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Man there's a rockmaster on Chicago CL for 450$... were these made in USA?

broj15 likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

yup, any pre 90s stuff is mia iirc

vilk likes this.
  8. budda

For $450, buy it anyway.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've just been reading about how they're so great for stoner and doom metal. I'm really tempted. It's like within a mile of my house too... it'd be so easy...

I like my Sunn Beta, but every time at practice I always think the other guitarists dual rec sounds way better... and I always suspect it's because it has real tubes...

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Sold my sunn beta bass to fund this and I have absolutely no regrets.

vilk likes this.
  11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Hahaha no kidding that's quite a coincidence

broj15 likes this.
  12. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

PEAVEY CVLT

HNGD!

broj15 likes this.
  13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Yeah I paid $450 for this plus $40 shipping. I'd gladly pay more for it though.

All praise Hartley

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

apparently the rock master is only single channel, not dual channel like the road master. But then again, I'm the kinda guy that flips to neck pup low volume guitar knob for """""""clean"""""""

I'll check it out maybe while my car is getting fixed tomorrow morning. Sorry for hijacking!

15. wedge_destroyer

Yup mine lost the silver sides on the grill it also has the old school ball casters so I don't have that issue as much. I also dropped the old drivers currently running Wizards and JBL K120s and rewired to 8 ohm with nl4 jack.

Interesting note on those cabs that they are built as 2 ported 2x12s top and bottom with only the holes for the wiring going through the inner wall I sealed them lol.

16. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I'm still rocking the original speakers in mine. One of them has a tear in the cone, but I patched it up. It produces a little bit of a buzz playing clean at low volumes, but at stage volume with a dirt pedal out front it just sorta becomes part of the sound. I'm just waiting for it to totally blow and then I'll probably do some kind of X pattern with the originals and some modern speakers.

But yes, I feel like the construction of the cab being basically two 2x12's in one box accounts for how tight, but also massive this cab sounds. It would also explain why it's one of the heaviest cabs I've ever had to deal with. Not to mention that when it's being used the musician has to be on the floor next to the cab, otherwise it will vibrate and knock itself off :lol:

17. wedge_destroyer

When I got mine there was only 2 originals, I threw them into a Jc120, sounded great there not as bright as what was in there. I did combine them once with Wgs vet30s in an x (different cab) it was kinda dark.

The construction is why I don't use an x actually, lol as it keeps the two pairs working in tandem to keep the resonant frequencies in their respective halves of the cabs. But hell try it out I might have to experiment

18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thats pretty awesome! Congrats!

broj15 likes this.
  19. budda

Also, that tattoo :lol: (i work in a warehouse)

broj15 likes this.
  20. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Well after getting to spend some time with this beast I must say this is probably the closest I've ever gotten to the tone I hear in my head. I threw a 13-64 set on my Aria pro II ts500 and tuned it right down to drop A and oh my God does this thing scream! Current set up is as follows:

Aria pro II ts500 -> boss OS-2 -> lead channel -> 2x15 with eminence legends.

Here's a shitty vid I took with my cell phone. Unfortunately I don't have a way of recording that would do this amp justice. Also excuse the shitty play. I haven't consistently played guitar for over a year now (all bass now) but now I feel obligated to "get good" again to justify having this monster around :lol:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019