N(U)GD - Skeversen Lizard II (perhaps the worlds easiest trade)

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
Wellity Wellity Wellity.

Pix first, words later.

(Pics were taken prior to string change and set up)

This morning I woke up to a PM from JPUniverse about a possible trade.

I have had a PRS hollowbody for about 18 months now, which, as much as I loved and thought was an amazing guitar, didn't "click" with me. So I've had it posted up for sale/trade every now and then. Then I would fall in love with it, then take it back down, then get over it and put it back up.

Matt messaged me about 11am this morning suggesting we do a trade for his Skeversen Lizard Shark F-hole. My jaw dropped the first time I saw it in the luthiery thread, even more so on the NGD thread.

Decided to go ahead with it after reading through the threads about it and within 2 hours, Matt was at my house, Skevery in hand. Probably the easiest deal done ever.

Now for a wee review, unbiased obviously, I'm going to be as brutal as a Norwegian death metal band, also gives a good indication of how they hold up, Matt said he got it just over a year ago.

Specs:
Fanned frets - 24.69' - 25.5'
Top - Aqua blue burl/matching headstock
Body - Black Limba chambered + wenge middle layer
Neck - 5 Piece Pau Ferro/Ebony fillets set neck
Fretboard - Pale Ebony
Neck Binding - Rosewood
Pickups - BKP Nailbombs Zebra Blue/Black
Electronics - 3 way 1 vol 1 tone push pull switch
F hole - Hammerhead shark
Frets - 24 Stainless steel
Bridge - ABM Single saddles
Radius - 18 - 20''

First, with the negatives.
1) Dye bleed, there's quite a bit on the top bevel just near the hammerheads head. Also on the bottom bevel, harder to notice but its there.
2) Electronics cavity plate, some of my OCD comes out here, it's not flat and the screw holes are slightly out of alignment. The plate sinks just over 1.5mm into the body on the right side and about 1mm on the left side. This annoys me for 2 reasons. I feel like it should either be completely in line with the body, if it isn't then at least let it be flat.
3) Bottom horn, there must have been some chipping in the top, this was filled with wood filler of a different colour. Close to the wenge middle layer, but the chip was in the top so it stands out a bit.
4) The fretboard, there's a fingerprint at the 9th fret, probably on the first layer of finish. This is barely noticeable but again, I'm being real picky.

Now, the good things (pretty much everything not listed in the negatives)
1) Fretwork, holy crap, never seen any cleaner fretwork than this, it was one of the first things I noticed.
2) Neck, such a great shape, the woods chosen are amazing, the feel on the hands is amazing, it feels like you're playing a 6-er
3) The finish, really even, no build up around the neck, pickup joints. The only dye bleed is listed above, and blue - a lighter coloured wood, definitely would have been a challenge.
4) Fretboard, dat grain though.
5) Nut, really well slotted, no sharp edges, real clean work there.
6) Neck joint, Matt said in his review that the pocket could have been smoother, I disagree, the neck fits perfectly, it's perfectly flush with the body, there's no space, I feel as if it'd stay in place without the screws.
7) Tone, yessssssss, strings that came on it were the original from the factory, that soon changed. After that it came alive! I may look at switching the BKP Nailbombs out soonish and go for my preferred Painkiller neck, Cold Sweat bridge. Maybe. Might also look into getting some burled maple wood bobbins, meh, not important at this point. Sounds great as it is, but I feel as if it could go one level further.
8) Fan, I believe the 90 degree fret is the 5th, but with such a small fan, it's hard to tell. Theres no learning curve on playing it, it's really natural playing.

There are probably more good points, any questions or more pic requests fire away!

Last edited:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh that fretwork :yum: Glad you're digging it man!!! I haven't stopped playing the PRS :metal:

Good review too and agreed on most points :) I know that fingerprint that you're talking about and the backplate did annoy the OCD in me too :lol:

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
So much tonezz with the swap today. Thing I miss most about the PRS already is the piezo. Might have to look into getting some of the ABM piezo saddles (if they weren't $65 each).

Churchie777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good to see a smooth trade man, me and Matt had a similar one not long ago for exact same reasons but a kxk :lol: enjoy!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
43-shark-memes-shark-week--large-msg-131232912672.jpg

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. I love the blue/back pickups too, looks awesome!

Albi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad to see it went to someone who can appreciate it.
But, PLEASE, write Skervesen properly :p

Happy N(....ingawesome)GD to you!!!!

PS: add a piezo to the thing and it will be perfect, chambered bodies tend to lend themselves pretty well to piezos