My Satriani Collection

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by belleswell, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I usually end up with more beers than fishing poles even then.

belleswell likes this.
  2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Do you have screenshots ?

3. belleswell

belleswell SS.org Regular

I've not fished the pond much since restocking it in '17. About 5 times total. Twice ice fishing. This last winter after opening up an area by shore about 8 feet long and 3 feet wide with my chain saw and then pushing the 12 inch thick by 12 inch cubes of ice I cut with the chainsaw under the existing ice. I was trying to stop the deer from going to the center of the pond which remains open all winter because of the aerator. The deer can get a drink by eating snow, but some of the young ones were venturing out to the open water in the center and standing on very thin ice to get a drink. I did not want to get injured by one trying to do a rescue with an extension ladder and some rope, so I decided to give them an area right next to shore of open water.

It was a lot of work, so to reward myself, I augered a couple of holes and tried some ice fishing. In about 5 minutes time I caught two perch, both about 5 or 6 inches, one bluegill about 9 inches, and the last fish I thought was a bass as it hit hard and kept going back to the bottom as I tried to reel it in with 1 lb test on my ice fishing rod. When I finally got her to the hole, I grabbed her and was in awe at her size. Monster female perch. I had nothing to measure her with, no cell phone for a quick pic, but I thought I could get my wife's attention by hollering for her and have her bring out her smart phone which takes better pics than mine. I even was waving my orange ice ladle trying to get her attention as she was watching tv and could have easily seen me if she looked out the window. This female was bloated with eggs and there is no way I was going to keep her. She represented a lot of hard work, money, and most importantly, future fishing fun with all of the eggs she would lay after the ice went out. My wife never saw me, so I let it go after having it out of the water for minute or two. Awesome sized fish that I would guess to be 14 or 15 inches long.

When a couple we know came to visit recently, he and I fished the pond for about a half hour. We caught a few perch and bluegill, and none were of any size. The largest perch we caught might have been 9 or 10 inches, but no monsters. Same with
    the hybrid bluegills. We caught some 8 an 9 inchers, but none of the 10 to 13 inch models that are in the pond. We also caught 3 or 4 small largemouth bass. All under 10 inches. It was mid afternoon, and probably not the best time as mornings or evenings are usually better.

In spring of '18, while checking the muskrat traps I have in the pond. I caught a 13 inch perch that had swam into the trap
    an could not get out. She was too big to swim through the openings, unlike the smaller males that were with her. They were small enough to be able to swim through cage mesh. They swam out as I lifted the cage out of the water and opened the end so she could swim out. As perch spawn after the ice goes out, the larger females will slowly swim along the shore dropping her eggs on emerging weeds or leaves on the bottom, all the while a group of males, sometimes dozens of them for every spawning female, will lay their milt on top of the eggs shes casting onto the vegetation or leaves. They don't make "beds" like bluegill and bass do for their eggs, but rather string them out along the bottom.

There is a poll at a pond forum I'm a member of where the members will report which day they've seen their first perch string (spawning), and it's interesting to note that the latitude of the different ponds across the country all have perch spawning at about the same time based on similar latitudes. Where I'm at in Michigan, this occurs mid April.

Hybrid bluegills are preferred in farm ponds as they will not overpopulate the pond like normal bluegills. A hybrid bluegill is a cross between a male bluegill and a female green sunfish. The offspring are hybrids. They grow faster and larger than normal bluegills. When a hybrid female and hybrid male get together to spawn, their brood are about 90 to 95 percent males. This high percentage of males in their offspring keeps them from over populating a pond. They have a lifespan of about 6 or seven years under ideal conditions, and because of the lack of female offspring, usually about 10 years after planting, one will have to restock as there will no longer be any females left.

Here is a pic of a perch we caught and released recently. 9 or 10 inches tops.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of a bed that a hybrid male had made in spring of '17 hoping to entice a female to join him. None did. That is when I decided to restock with more hybrids and try to reintroduce some yellow bellied perch back into the equation. This can be hard as an established population of large mouth bass will eat them. I've got a few in the pond that have avoided being eaten by bass and hope to have a population capable of culling a few meals a year of the perch. The hybrids will always be catch and release as I have an abundance of lakes in the area where I can catch easy limits of gills for eating, but the perch are my fave for eating, so getting an established population of them that would allow be to keep a few for the table would be nice. My wife does not eat fish (go figure), but I love panfish, especially perch.
    [​IMG]

Hybrid bluegills
    [​IMG]

Not from the pond, but thought I'd toss in a pic of these small walleyes. 25 lbs combined
    [​IMG]

Prior state record whitefish 13 lbs. 4 oz.
    [​IMG]

This is from a nearby lake. A friend and I caught a two man limit. Most gills were 9 to 10 inches with the big one being 10 1/2. The crappie we kept were up to 13 1/2 and we let go a few larger ones that were too big for the dinner table. The largest we released was 15 1/2 inches. These came from a local lake so no need to take them from the pond.
    [​IMG]

Lake Michigan perch
    [​IMG]

Winter view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the pond. I have thousands of pics of the wildlife the pond attracts and it seems there is always something go on.
    I can't tell you how many times I've been recording, looked up over the top of my pc monitor and seen yet another Marty
    Stauffer moment going on. Stop recording, put down guitar, turn on the camera and start taking pics.

Find Waldo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    BlackSG91, adrianb, Bear R. and 3 others like this.
  4. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Love my JS10th. It's home.

Sweet collection, dude!

belleswell likes this.
  5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

You literally have a boat load of JS guitars! Awesome! Great looking pond and spread of land too!

belleswell likes this.
  6. belleswell

Retired IBEW electrician that never ever turned down overtime. Worked hard and saved as best I could and within 4 months of retiring, found this lovely home. Left the big city and never looked back. Been here 3 years and I've yet to hear a siren. Serenity now.

BlackSG91 and noise in my mind like this.
  7. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

Very nice collection. I have the 540 R H-S-H in blue as well although I don't think I've babied it as much as yours. It could be the New Orleans weather though to. Mine was my main axe for years and has seen far too many gigs and it shows. Yours looks like new even though it would be considered a classic these days. Got mine in 1991, so it's damn near 30 years old. The old thing still shreds though.

belleswell likes this.
  8. belleswell

Mine is a '91 as well. I bought it on feebay in 03 from a drummer who bought it to learn and ended up stashing it under his bed for years. It's pretty much mint, which is hard to do with a 28 year old guitar. I believe they called it Jewel Blue. Mine has the sharktooth inlays on the neck. I like it much more than the '87, as it sounds better, and plays much nicer.

9. oppgulp

oppgulp SS.org Regular

Sweet collection and nice pond!

belleswell likes this.
  10. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

If the last photo had been all the guitars displayed proudly at the bottom of the pond, this would have been the best thread in SSO history.

11. sanepete

sanepete SS.org Regular

They all seem to be seriously lacking something.

12. Christian Noir

Christian Noir \m/=^n.n^=\m/

Joe the Satch Satriani must be proud of you!

Now I can't get Summertime Song, Surfing With The Alien, and Flying In A Blue Dream out of my head...

I hadn't listened to those songs in 20 years, and when I did a few months ago, I remembered and could sing every single note and vibrato. That's a testament how memorable Joe's riffs and melodies are.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    The906 and belleswell like this.
  13. Bear R.

Bear R. Bear R.-

Nice js collection man..love the fishin pics too..
    anyway, finally got me my 1st ibanez a few months back... a 2013 rg prestige 3520..I've always had Jacksons and ESP's and now I can say I'm part of the Ibanez club too..killer playing guitar..The super wizard neck was a little strange at 1st but now I love it..

Anyway, thanks for sharing belleswell..Killer collection man..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    BlackSG91 and belleswell like this.
  14. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I used to dream of owning a JS guitar (probably a JS6 or JS1000, i don't remember anymore what it was i wanted) but through the years i lost interest in them (pickup mounting rings became a peeve of mine and i also find HH boring), soooo i ended up enjoying your pond and fishing stories more. :D :D

belleswell likes this.
  15. belleswell

Thanks Bear. Thanks as well for the listen as my SC page a while back. :cheers:

Bear R. likes this.
  16. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

Sweet collection, nice cover. :)

belleswell likes this.
  17. belleswell

Thanks kind Sir. Always makes my day when someone comments on my playing.

J