My Kiesel HH2 build - Am I wrong to be a little bit disappointed?

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is my first time posting on this board, so apologies if this is not the correct place to post this.

First off, I would like to make the caveat that I'm very pleased with the guitar I received in regards to the build quality and playability. I have never played a guitar that feels better than this one. I am mostly expressing disappointment in my own self and in my choices, although to be fair, there was no way I could have known that things would have turned out the way they did, as I will explain.

In December 2020, I spec'd out and ordered a guitar that would eventually become this:

UEXgEAX.png

Although, six months into the build process, I was notified via email that there had been a mistake. I specified at the time of ordering that I wanted direct mounted pickups (pickups without the plastic bezel rings). As you can see, this one was mistakenly routed incorrectly. No sweat! Shit happens. I was given the option to either accept this guitar with a $200 refund for the incorrectly routed pickups, or I could wait and have the guitar rebuilt. I initially accepted the guitar as it was, but my heart and my gut kept telling me that I should stick to what I originally wanted and what I specifically ordered, out of fear that I may eventually regret it and not be fully happy with the guitar in the long run. I ended up telling them that I would rather opt for the rebuild.

Being that this would likely be the only guitar of this caliber I would ever be able to afford in my lifetime, I was more than willing to continue patiently waiting. I was just grateful that they were willing to rebuild the guitar.

Kiesel handled the rebuild very promptly, and within three to four weeks I had a guitar. Here is a photo of the actual guitar I received:
AlTDlwN.jpg

Once the initial excitement of receiving the guitar wore off, I began to really look at the guitar and my rose colored glasses were lifted, so to say.

Am I wrong in being a bit disappointed with what I ended up with in contrast to what I was supposed to originally receive? I spent almost $3000 on this guitar. I was expecting the blue denim top to be, well, blue. It has a very dark and dingy look to it, almost charred looking, and the fretboard is very bland as well in my honest opinion, while the original is quite colorful/beautiful. Keep in mind that that photo is not altered in any way and is an accurate depiction of what it looks like in person. I would have expected to receive a guitar that looked like the first guitar, although with the pickups routed correctly to how I ordered them. I am fully aware that the quality of woods comes down to the luck of the draw much of the time, but to me this seems a bit of an extreme contrast.

While I understand fully that I was given the option to accept the initial guitar, there was no way that at that point in time I could have known that the rebuild would have been so inferior. I deeply regret my decision, but in all fairness, I simply wanted to receive precisely what I specifically ordered and paid for, especially given the price of these instruments.

So, what do you guys think? How would you feel if you were in my situation?

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
First off, I would like to make the caveat that I'm very pleased with the guitar I received in regards to the build quality and playability. I have never played a guitar that feels better than this one. I am mostly expressing disappointment in my own self and in my choices, although to be fair, there was no way I could have known that things would have turned out the way they did, as I will explain.

In December 2020, I spec'd out and ordered a guitar that would eventually become this:

UEXgEAX.png

Although, six months into the build process, I was notified via email that there had been a mistake. I specified at the time of ordering that I wanted direct mounted pickups (pickups without the plastic bezel rings). As you can see, this one was mistakenly routed incorrectly. No sweat! Shit happens. I was given the option to either accept this guitar with a $200 refund for the incorrectly routed pickups, or I could wait and have the guitar rebuilt. I initially accepted the guitar as it was, but my heart and my gut kept telling me that I should stick to what I originally wanted and what I specifically ordered, out of fear that I may eventually regret it and not be fully happy with the guitar in the long run. I ended up telling them that I would rather opt for the rebuild.

Being that this would likely be the only guitar of this caliber I would ever be able to afford in my lifetime, I was more than willing to continue patiently waiting. I was just grateful that they were willing to rebuild the guitar.

Kiesel handled the rebuild very promptly, and within three to four weeks I had a guitar. Here is a photo of the actual guitar I received:
AlTDlwN.jpg

Am I wrong in being a bit disappointed with what I ended up with in contrast to what I was supposed to originally receive? I spent almost $3000 on this guitar. I was expecting the blue denim top to be, well, blue. It has a very dark and dingy look to it, almost charred looking, and the fretboard is very bland as well in my honest opinion, while the original is quite colorful/beautiful. Keep in mind that that photo is not altered in any way and is an accurate depiction of what it looks like in person. I would have expected to receive a guitar that looked like the first guitar, although with the pickups routed correctly to how I ordered them. I am fully aware that the quality of woods comes down to the luck of the draw much of the time, but to me this seems a bit of an extreme contrast.

While I understand fully that I was given the option to accept the initial guitar, there was no way that at that point in time I could have known that the rebuild would have been so inferior. I deeply regret my decision, but in all fairness, I simply wanted to receive precisely what I specifically ordered and paid for, especially given the price of these instruments.

So, what do you guys think? How would you feel if you were in my situation?
In my experience, in a really high light situation that top is probably very blue. Mine in my profile pic looks like that normally, but in the kiesel photo i was sent, and in the sunniest of sunny days, it look like RADIANT blue. I would look at it in some really high light, but I really like that instrument to be honest. Are you still in your 10 day policy? You can return it for not liking the color.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my experience, in a really high light situation that top is probably very blue. Mine in my profile pic looks like that normally,

With all due respect, I seriously doubt that.

I took some additional photos in various different rooms of my house in an attempt to perhaps capture it in a more forgiving setting, and even then it is not that impressive still. I've even taken it out into the sun. That photo is truly just what it looks like. Since I cannot post links yet, I would suggest doing an image search for "blue denim kiesel", and you will be hard pressed to find one that looks like mine. I'm just not sure what happened.

Are you still in your 10 day policy?

No, I've had this guitar for almost six months now. It's just that I am more and more disappointed with it with each day that goes by, to the point that I've finally had to get this off my chest. It's a great guitar, and I generally enjoy playing it, but I'm just a little bit bummed out is all.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Im really confused, you seriously doubt what? That my guitar's top looks like my profile pic? Kind of confused on what you mean by that. :shrug:All I was saying was that the picture Kiesel sent me was extremely extremely high quality and bright and could see every dip of the quilt and when I got it it looks like my profile pic. I love it, but their picture really really highlighted areas that are hard to see when its not under extremely high white light.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you seriously doubt what?

You made the statement that your guitar (featured in your profile picture) normally looks the way that mine does. Here:

Mine in my profile pic looks like that normally

I am saying that I doubt that. No disrespect intended, but I believe you are making quite the exaggeration. I highly doubt that the top on that guitar pictured in your profile picture "normally" looks as shitty and bland as mine does. Let's be real, the guitar I received is ugly as hell.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For whatever reason, the pictures are no longer showing up in the original post, so I will link them here:
hh2-blue-denim.png IMG_2639.jpg

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You made the statement that your guitar (featured in your profile picture) normally looks the way that mine does. Here:

I am saying that I doubt that. No disrespect intended, but I believe you are making quite the exaggeration. I highly doubt that the top on that guitar pictured in your profile picture "normally" looks as shitty and bland as mine does. Let's be real, the guitar I received is ugly as hell.
I completely misunderstood that I apologize, I had no intention of comparing our guitars, I morely meant to say it looked different in home lighting. In your case it might just be a bad dye job. I'd say something to Kiesel. Worst thing they can say is no, or ban you I guess.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I completely misunderstood that I apologize, I had no intention of comparing our guitars, I morely meant to say it looked different in home lighting. In your case it might just be a bad dye job. I'd say something to Kiesel. Worst thing they can say is no, or ban you I guess.

Actually, I re-read what you posted, and it is also partially my misunderstanding. I now see what you were trying to say.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
My :2c:, for what it's worth:

If it took 6 months to decide you were that bothered about the top, it can't be thaaaaat bad. While I'm sure it's disappointing, it sounds like any complaint you have is purely cosmetic - and maybe a question of expectations. I'd be willing to bet maybe the guitar can look similar to the reference photo in the right lighting. I don't have a lot of experience with guitars that have fancy tops, but any of those "deep" "3d" ish looking flames etc. that I've got my hands on were very much influenced by viewing conditions. I've only got one right now with a really mild flame-y kind of thing, and you'd barely know it was there without shining a really bright light on it.

Pretty much any instrument I've owned, once it's been more than a year, the aesthetic kinda stops mattering to me anyway. I care more that the playability and the sound are what I want.

The first picture is the pre- rebuild that you would have received, right? What's the chance they still have it? Maybe you could track it down and offload the one you aren't as happy with. You'd probably take a hit for the cost difference, but that comes down to how much it's worth to you.

For what it's worth, I think I'd personally prefer the second one. As much as the neck is a bit less interesting, and maybe the colour isn't as deep, but the figuring pattern on the top seems more interesting, and the route and silver knobs are much more appealing IMO.

At the end of the day, you're the only one who can decide if you're happy with it or not. For me, nothing in the end result would be a dealbreaker, but I can't decide that for you.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it took 6 months to decide you were that bothered about the top, it can't be thaaaaat bad.

It did NOT take me six months to realize this. It just took me six months to get to the point that I felt I had to vent about it is all.

The first picture is the pre- rebuild that you would have received, right? What's the chance they still have it?

I emailed them about it just two days ago, and they tell me that they no longer have it. Since the beginning, I was checking up regularly on their in-stock section on their website and I never saw it up for sale, nor did I see it on reverb at any point, so I assume it went to somebody in their close circle.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Latest posts