nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally watched the new Batman movie, with Edward the sparkly fairy version of a vampire.

Sorry, I digress.

The praise this movie is getting for "finally getting it right" is a sure sign that people, through pure stubbornness, have let themselves lower their expectations for DC films into the absolute ground. I went in with an open mind, really hoping to enjoy it, or at least be entertained. And while I was to a certain extent, it seems to suffer all the same problems people have been bitching about in DC films since... well, since they existed?

Bruce is sometimes dark and brooding, but he also has his quirky moments here or there. Not in this version. No sir. If anything, Bruce is more dark and brooding than the Bat. And the Bat is one dark, brooding motherfucker. Because dark is cool and edgy and wow and stuff.

Cramming so many top-tier Batman villains into the origin film seemed a dumbass idea on the surface, and is even worse in practice. This is the root of my issue with the whole DC film universe. They try so hard to cram everything in that they don't allow anything to have any depth.

Where's the fun of a comic book / super hero movie? I can't wrap my head around how the execs decided that the fun of those stories needs to be completely removed in favor of "dark, edgy, wow, brood, heavy-handed, brutality." That's the one thing the Marvelverse still gets right. Even in their darkest films you still get a little sense of fun. The characters sometimes make jokes with each other, like humans do when confronted with darkness. Sometimes even the action gets a little slap-sticky. The only moment of the whole film that had a sense of fun was the car reveal. Rev, rev, rev, sputter.

Which I actually found hilarious, having grown up in a house with a dad that was constantly rebuilding old cars and having them shit-out at the absolute worst fucking times.

tl;dr: Watched The Batman. I'm good on DC films for another couple decades.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
While I really enjoyed The Batman, I have to agree that no one has ever presented a really good Bruce Wayne. I’d say Keaton is the best and that’s probably just because he didn’t overdo it.

As far as the rest of the DC (or Marvel anymore for that matter), couldn’t care less.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I really enjoyed The Batman, I have to agree that no one has ever presented a really good Bruce Wayne. I’d say Keaton is the best and that’s probably just because he didn’t overdo it.

As far as the rest of the DC (or Marvel anymore for that matter), couldn’t care less.
To be completely fair, we're still in the midst of a rewatch of Batman: The Animated Series. Expecting any Bruce to live up to the playboy goofball they manage in that cartoon is expecting a lot. Alfred in that show is one of the best ever too. He's got snipes almost every time he's on screen, but always with an air of dignity to it.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Finally watched the new Batman movie, with Edward the sparkly fairy version of a vampire.

Sorry, I digress.

The praise this movie is getting for "finally getting it right" is a sure sign that people, through pure stubbornness, have let themselves lower their expectations for DC films into the absolute ground. I went in with an open mind, really hoping to enjoy it, or at least be entertained. And while I was to a certain extent, it seems to suffer all the same problems people have been bitching about in DC films since... well, since they existed?

Bruce is sometimes dark and brooding, but he also has his quirky moments here or there. Not in this version. No sir. If anything, Bruce is more dark and brooding than the Bat. And the Bat is one dark, brooding motherfucker. Because dark is cool and edgy and wow and stuff.

Cramming so many top-tier Batman villains into the origin film seemed a dumbass idea on the surface, and is even worse in practice. This is the root of my issue with the whole DC film universe. They try so hard to cram everything in that they don't allow anything to have any depth.

Where's the fun of a comic book / super hero movie? I can't wrap my head around how the execs decided that the fun of those stories needs to be completely removed in favor of "dark, edgy, wow, brood, heavy-handed, brutality." That's the one thing the Marvelverse still gets right. Even in their darkest films you still get a little sense of fun. The characters sometimes make jokes with each other, like humans do when confronted with darkness. Sometimes even the action gets a little slap-sticky. The only moment of the whole film that had a sense of fun was the car reveal. Rev, rev, rev, sputter.

Which I actually found hilarious, having grown up in a house with a dad that was constantly rebuilding old cars and having them shit-out at the absolute worst fucking times.

So uh, this is based on Year One and Long Halloween. Not exactly the lighthearted Batman or Bruce.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
To be completely fair, we're still in the midst of a rewatch of Batman: The Animated Series. Expecting any Bruce to live up to the playboy goofball they manage in that cartoon is expecting a lot. Alfred in that show is one of the best ever too. He's got snipes almost every time he's on screen, but always with an air of dignity to it.
I should amend my statement to say Keaton was the “best live action Bruce Wayne” - Conroy really was the best all around.

Last edited:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Comic movies are serious business.
As sung in unison by every Hollywood major studios.

The Batman was... fine; middle of the road for me personally. It feels like it's been rewritten too many times, overbloated, goes for too long and trying to juggle too many themes often dropping them just to keep the movie going. Definitely trying too hard to brute force it's way to an Oscar or 2 by length and edgy controversies, like the Joker did with the latter. It's just fine, certainly liked it more than Joker.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you see as Oscar bait in The Batman? I thought it was kind of bad, definitely a lot worse than the third Nolan film, let alone the first two. Paul Dano was just embarrassing. I did love the re-edit of his laughable "no, no no!!!" scene to end with the "I Think You Should Leave" stinger, though. But man, it was just so long and joyless and uninteresting. Cat Woman stunk, seeing cops all make room for batman to check out crime scenes was unintentionally funny, and that version of Riddler was just the worst.

I didn't like Joker much, either, but at least it felt like a fairly focused and direct story told without a lot of bullshit, and Phoenix in the main role was way better than any of the performances in The Batman.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Darby and the Dead: DO NOT WATCH

It's a cool premise, totally fucked by the story they decided to portray. I told my wife afterward it was like it was written by a bunch of massive extroverts trying to wrap their head around the introvert philosophy. The only "lesson" in the whole thing is that introverts are really extroverts that are too chickenshit to be extroverts, and they need to be "forced out of their shell" by extroverts telling them how to dress, who to hang out with, and more importantly who not to hang out with, and how to behave properly to be popular.

And yup. Lost me there.

Too bad. Such a promising start.

Man, we can pick 'em.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jesus, and I thought Steven had hot takes with how much he hates HZD but this just took the cake

What is a hot take about that? I thought the first two were generally considered a lot better than tdkr. Is the Batman so beloved as to be considered better than all of them and no one gave me the memo? I’d rate them like 8 9 7 6 in chronological order.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What is a hot take about that? I thought the first two were generally considered a lot better than tdkr. Is the Batman so beloved as to be considered better than all of them and no one gave me the memo? I’d rate them like 8 9 7 6 in chronological order.

Quite a few people do like The Batman (myself included) more than the Dark Knight Trilogy. Now that said, that's not me saying that the trilogy is bad. I love that trilogy, DKR included, I just feel like The Batman gave me the mood I wanted out of a Batman movie even more. Basically for me, TDK trilogy: 9's across the board. The Batman? Almost a 10 for me. That said, I'd say I'm also not nearly as critical of entertainment as other people.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Darby and the Dead: DO NOT WATCH

It's a cool premise, totally fucked by the story they decided to portray. I told my wife afterward it was like it was written by a bunch of massive extroverts trying to wrap their head around the introvert philosophy. The only "lesson" in the whole thing is that introverts are really extroverts that are too chickenshit to be extroverts, and they need to be "forced out of their shell" by extroverts telling them how to dress, who to hang out with, and more importantly who not to hang out with, and how to behave properly to be popular.

And yup. Lost me there.

Too bad. Such a promising start.

Man, we can pick 'em.
What an obnoxious idea for a "film." Almost makes me wish introverts were smug assholes who wouldn't allow extroverts in. Then again, I don't think most introverts are wound up enough about that sort of shit to care. That said, the idea introverts are too chickenshit to be extroverts is hilariously inane. Wonder what braintrust came to that conclusion. Lmao

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Quite a few people do like The Batman (myself included) more than the Dark Knight Trilogy. Now that said, that's not me saying that the trilogy is bad. I love that trilogy, DKR included, I just feel like The Batman gave me the mood I wanted out of a Batman movie even more. Basically for me, TDK trilogy: 9's across the board. The Batman? Almost a 10 for me. That said, I'd say I'm also not nearly as critical of entertainment as other people.

Ok, so that’s not that different from me, you just like the Batman more than most people. I still fail to see how insane my opinion was! My only really strong feeling about the Batman was Paul dano was terrible and so was the catwoman outfit. I need to watch it again.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, so that’s not that different from me, you just like the Batman more than most people. I still fail to see how insane my opinion was! My only really strong feeling about the Batman was Paul dano was terrible and so was the catwoman outfit. I need to watch it again.

Paul Dano was AT FIRST one of the reasons why I loved it so much. It kinda fell apart when he got caught and went into his... whatever that was. The was the main reason I couldn't call it perfect. Other than that, I love Patman, I loved Serkis' Alfred, I loved the city, the general vibe and atmosphere. I was also a goth kid in high school, which may factor into it. :lol:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was pretty indifferent to the catwoman outfit, but I did like that she had a prance that was exceedingly cat-like at times. Certainly more cat-like than some of the previous folks to play the role.

@Spaced Out Ace
If you want a rage-boner like no other, watch that movie. Holy shit, by the mid-point we were so flabbergasted at the premise we couldn't turn away. Like a train wreck in slo-mo.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, this is gonna drive me nuts. How is that a hot take? Here’s the IMDb scores of those four movies, aka average opinions of viewers:

BB: 8.2 DK: 9.0 DKR: 8.4 TB: 7.8

The Batman is worse than the other three according to the average of many thousands of viewers! I am somewhat shocked tdkr is rated higher than BB though.

Rotten tomatoes critics, 84/94/87/85. So, I guess professional critics slightly more often had a more positive opinion of the Batman than Batman begins, but not the other two. But I know how much stock everyone here puts in those! Rotten tomatoes audience, 94/94/90/87, so by those metrics the Batman was the least liked.

What I’m trying to say is my opinion is really boring and common and if you think the Batman is a masterpiece that is obviously better than all the Nolan movies, THAT is a (slightly) hot take!

I can’t believe someone’s sitting on a grudge over the fact I thought someone who looked like they’re on the rock’s diet of nonstop protein loading looked unrealistic in a post apocalyptic setting where everyone’s starving, but it is what it is. Obviously spore zombie apocalypse is infinitely less realistic than one character apparently hoarding all the food.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am able to enjoy batman films because I have such low expectations in the first place. Batman (like most superheroes) is a naked right-wing power fantasy, but the franchise is fascinating from a sociological perspective.

I finished All Quiet on the Western Front. I read the book as a teenager, honestly don't remember it that well, but it was definitely formative in part of my strong anti-war leanings. The film was awfully brutal and depressing, but quite beautiful. Took me a few sittings to get through.