Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
[Marvel Spoilers]

So I watched multiverse of madness finally. And I don’t get why people didn’t seem to like it. I think they were just expecting more zany/jokey like Iron Man or the avengers movies. It was 100% focused on the occult/demons/etc while introducing new characters for the multiverse.

Dr. Strange is inherently a more “serious” personality than Tony stark, etc. like I had a good time, and the universe travel with America Chavez was super visually appealing.

They had a few variants of Dr. Strange that each got screen time. Sinister strange could have probably been a bit longer/creepier of a scene, but it matched the pacing by that point.

Scarlet Witch just solo/ing the Illuminati was so awesome IMO because she should have been able to. They barely made her pause. And she killed one of the strongest telepaths on earth like nothing. Finally a reality good job showing off her strength versus just flinging rocks, etc.

Maybe people were expecting tons of fight scenes? I feel like this strange movies was used for big MCU plot setups with character development as well. I mean 616 Strange used the darkhold and didn’t corrupt himself, he opened his eye of agamotto (3rd eye from the comics).

Then Clea from the dark dimension showed up. It feels like we’re going to get more magic in future phases not less. And Wang was definitely trying to set up the midnight sons with all his “I’ll be back later” across multiple movies.

We’re gonna see mephisto at some point.

Overall it did what it needed to do and introduced multiple new characters I’m looking forward to seeing. Maybe the “hate” for it died down already? I just remember seeing a bunch of “eh” reactions initially.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
[Marvel Spoilers]

So I watched multiverse of madness finally. And I don’t get why people didn’t seem to like it. I think they were just expecting more zany/jokey like Iron Man or the avengers movies. It was 100% focused on the occult/demons/etc while introducing new characters for the multiverse.

Dr. Strange is inherently a more “serious” personality than Tony stark, etc. like I had a good time, and the universe travel with America Chavez was super visually appealing.

They had a few variants of Dr. Strange that each got screen time. Sinister strange could have probably been a bit longer/creepier of a scene, but it matched the pacing by that point.

Scarlet Witch just solo/ing the Illuminati was so awesome IMO because she should have been able to. They barely made her pause. And she killed one of the strongest telepaths on earth like nothing. Finally a reality good job showing off her strength versus just flinging rocks, etc.

Maybe people were expecting tons of fight scenes? I feel like this strange movies was used for big MCU plot setups with character development as well. I mean 616 Strange used the darkhold and didn’t corrupt himself, he opened his eye of agamotto (3rd eye from the comics).

Then Clea from the dark dimension showed up. It feels like we’re going to get more magic in future phases not less. And Wang was definitely trying to set up the midnight sons with all his “I’ll be back later” across multiple movies.

We’re gonna see mephisto at some point.

Overall it did what it needed to do and introduced multiple new characters I’m looking forward to seeing. Maybe the “hate” for it died down already? I just remember seeing a bunch of “eh” reactions initially.
Midnight Sons better be happening. Mahershala Ali as Blade is already confirmed, and I'd be cool with Nic Cage coming back as Ghost rider tbh. It'd be hilarious to make Morbius canon too.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Just watched Prey and I have the same sentiment as what others have said already. It's definitely the best Predator movie since the original 2. It wasn't too long, the plot was simple but not terrible. It was just all around pretty good. After seeing a lot of movies this year that have been stinkers (The Matrix, Thor) this was a breath of fresh air. I'll say I agree that it would have been a better experience in a theater, but I can live with that.

Watched the entire "Dollars Trilogy" back to back. The movies were fine, but those Morricone soundtracks are really inspiring.

The first 2 movies are decent but yeah, the soundtracks are really the highlight with those. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly though, that one to me just has a genuinely good story and buildup. The pacing in it is absolutely perfect and I appreciate that it doesn't hesitate to take it's time building towards a conclusion. By the end of it you really feel as if you've gone on a journey of sorts watching it. Quentin Tarantino said the same thing about it years ago and tried to emulate it with the Hateful Eight, but that movie ended up boiling down to little more than a western version of Reservoir Dogs.

To the point of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly though, the music in that one is so damned good and adds so much to the scenes. Everyone always remembers The Ecstasy of Gold from it (and rightly so, it's a great piece) but Il Trielo from the final standoff is easily my favorite. It fits the scene so well and really builds the tension up to the moment that everyone finally shoots. The music box break giving a nod to Lee VanCleef was a nice touch as well since it was his theme in the previous movie.

I could talk about this movie for ages because it's just so damned good so I'll spare all of you that.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
God damn it, I really wanted the Comanche version to be like, the "definitive" take on it since they're Natives so it'd be cool as shit to be that authentic; but I guess that's too much to ask.
yo i was wrong, the full comanche version is listed as a separate movie. I watched the standard version where they mix comanche with english.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched Green Room and I thought it was pretty cool. Scary and relatable. I was in a pretty fucking gay burlesque show in a bar that we found out during the show was a regular hells angels/other unsavory fringe characters hangout. Nothing happened but we definitely never went back there.

that's what I figured. I stopped shortly after that. I just couldn't do it.

I watched the entire thing. So glad I could spare you the same suffering.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Bullet Train

Much, MUCH better than I thought it'd be and the trailer feels like it did this movie dirty honestly; feels very Guy Ritchie/Shane Black in it's writing/dark humor of "shit going wrong around one man." Only gripe with it is a that I really don't like Joey King, so her being a lead is like, agonizing to me.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that's what I figured. I stopped shortly after that. I just couldn't do it.
The wife and I made it to twenty-some minutes left in the darned thing and couldn't, for the life of us, figure out why we should care about any single aspect of the damned thing. The characters didn't matter. The plot (if there was one) didn't matter. The big stakes (that we and characters couldn't figure out) didn't matter. What was the point? Time fuckery can be fun if it's done either well, or in a thought provoking manner, but Tenet felt like, "I wanna do the timey-whimey stuff" with no meat in it.

Dissapoint.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The wife and I made it to twenty-some minutes left in the darned thing and couldn't, for the life of us, figure out why we should care about any single aspect of the damned thing. The characters didn't matter. The plot (if there was one) didn't matter. The big stakes (that we and characters couldn't figure out) didn't matter. What was the point? Time fuckery can be fun if it's done either well, or in a thought provoking manner, but Tenet felt like, "I wanna do the timey-whimey stuff" with no meat in it.

Dissapoint.
Glad I didn't waste any more time with it than I did then ha

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a Predator follow-up, Prey is better than anything else in the franchise in quite some time.

As an overall movie - meh.

But us TV time suckers need something to pass the time on the weekend.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Dissapoint.

The time travel mechanics were the biggest fail for me. I spent so much time trying to rationalize the inconsistent application of their own mechanic that I wasn't even able to notice how mediocre it was on the whole.

The car driving backwards was the scene that had me literally yelling at the TV. Is he driving his car backwards in the future or driving it forwards in the future moving backwards through time? Because either way it doesn't work and either way it's stupider than the stupidest 3-bongrip-deep stupid shower thoughts I've ever had.

By that point I was over the halfway mark though and figured I'd just see it through.

The new Predator movie "Prey" is legit really good on Hulu. Highly suggest you check it out.

Really enjoyed it. I liked AVP so my standards aren't super high but it was the best I've seen out of that franchise in a while. Appreciated the use of indigenous language and actors. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything but this is now representation gathers steam, and I couldn't find anything glaringly problematic in the overall result.

I guess what I'm saying is dumb action movies with good representation are as important as big thinky cerebral message films. Actually maybe even moreso if we're honest about what reaches the widest audience.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The time travel mechanics were the biggest fail for me. I spent so much time trying to rationalize the inconsistent application of their own mechanic that I wasn't even able to notice how mediocre it was on the whole.

The car driving backwards was the scene that had me literally yelling at the TV. Is he driving his car backwards in the future or driving it forwards in the future moving backwards through time? Because either way it doesn't work and either way it's stupider than the stupidest 3-bongrip-deep stupid shower thoughts I've ever had.

By that point I was over the halfway mark though and figured I'd just see it through.
My time-analysis failure meter went off early on with the reverse bullets. Fine, they fire back wards. Cool. They don't make the things they're fired at run backwards. Right? OK, at what point did those bullets become embedded in the item that took the bullet? Right before they're manufactured? WTF? Make freakin' sense.

So, I tried to shut off my brain and look for the "who am I rootin' for, who against?" Couldn't figure that one out either, and by the time we reached fever pitch, I was just going, "Wait? What? Who? Why?" Then *clicky click* on the remote.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Bullet Train- I went in expecting a wacky action flick, and that's basically what it is. Tons of fun, but a bit unfocused in the way it tells the story. Action sequences are great, especially later in the film. Definitely worth seeing in theaters imo.

Thirteen Lives- An extremely faithful recreation of the Tham Luang cave rescue. Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrell did all their own diving in the film, which was super cool. Really well done film and there are a ton of great shots. It really nails the claustrophobic nature of cave diving, and the sets are insane. Highly recommend checking out the behind the scenes.
Definitely worth a watch.

Last edited: