wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched The Batman. It fell victim to a lot of the usual cringy "brooding hero dood" archetypes including him creeping on Selina Kyle's bedroom and then repeatedly invading her personal space in very uncomfortable ways because he "had to." It also skipped a lot of the eye-rolling machismo that Bale's Batman had, so that was nice. Emo batman with gross hair and eye makeup was a refreshing take on the archetype, at least.

I did appreciate the nuance around the Wayne family legacy, as a person Batman sucks a lot and is just a power trip/savior complex with a bunch of armament, so it was refreshing to have non-villain characters be critical of that, even if it seemed to be just moving the plot along. I will say I have grown very fond of Gotham's My Chemical Romance Penguin character, it was hard to see Oz as the Penguin. Gotham's Penguin was the right fit for Gotham's aesthetic though.

Batman is one of my least favorite superheroes, but I am also fascinated by portrayals of him and what they might have to say about our culture and society. I enjoyed Gotham a lot and am very curious to see where they take this rendition.

The Adam Project - 7/10
Enjoyable, if predictable, Ryan Reynolds with a kid playing a younger Ryan Reynolds and them continually sniping each other in Ryan Reynolds fashion. I enjoyed it, but could totally see where some might balk at it.

My only real problem with this movie was that everything else around the "Ryan Reynolds quips at Ryan Reynolds" gag was a pretty bare scaffold. I didn't even finish the end. I would've appreciated a story that tried a little harder. It was entertaining, I give it that, and they still did a better job at time travel than Tenet. On the whole it was just a better sci-fi flick than Tenet, which considering my core criticism is that it's not sci-fi enough, is also the most blistering critique of Tenet I can conjure.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
finally took a day to catch up on all the marvel movies I've missed

black widow - meh.... it's ok. Some of the vfx definitely showed just how rushed things were at the end of the project. Some of the plates they shot were just terrible, and it didn't matter how good the vfx were, they were just poorly shot.

shang chi - unwatchable. turned it off after 15-20 minutes. Just couldn't do it.

Eternals - it was........ really bad tbh. edit is terrible. just no flow to the whole movie. Shot like a day time soap opera, and not like a film. All that marvel money, and that's how marvel shot that thing? ooof.... Characters are flat dull and boring. Just no life or spark to them.

...bah!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻​

Spiderman: No Way Home was better though. Overall good. Some parts were just kinda weird or fell flat, but not enough to detract from the overall movie.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Superhero movies have never had a huge appeal to me, but I am Super over the Marvel movie franchise.

The only Marvel movie I'm seeing this year is Thor 4, aside from that nothing else has interested me and they're playing so safe with everything that it's become stale as hell. I applaud them for what they did with the Infinity Saga, and it was great to have everything lead by one vision and therefore everything felt in the same universe with materials/locations, etc... but to have everything with the same humor and tones just becomes uninteresting at this point.

Which is especially sad if they're willing to give IPs like Moon Knight and Blade a chance. I'm very curious to see where Blade goes, but I think now is the time that they HAVE to start diversifying if they want to stay alive.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only Marvel movie I'm seeing this year is Thor 4, aside from that nothing else has interested me and they're playing so safe with everything that it's become stale as hell. I applaud them for what they did with the Infinity Saga, and it was great to have everything lead by one vision and therefore everything felt in the same universe with materials/locations, etc... but to have everything with the same humor and tones just becomes uninteresting at this point.

Which is especially sad if they're willing to give IPs like Moon Knight and Blade a chance. I'm very curious to see where Blade goes, but I think now is the time that they HAVE to start diversifying if they want to stay alive.

Hard to imagine Blade any way but Wesley Snipes and maximum 00's trenchcoat goth cringe.

I thought the captain America/Ironman conflict in Civil War was a high point of the Marvel movie writing. That story arc posed some incredibly deep questions about individual accountability and the role of government in such a globalized society. Capt America's position ends up looking a lot like some basic anarchist principles, namely that giving ultimate authority over the Avengers to a third party insulates them from being directly, personally accountable for the now-substantial fallout of their actions, not to mention further entrenching them in the military-industrial complex.

Most of the movies weren't nearly that interesting.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
And to think, that came from guys who only a few years earlier were writing staircar jokes for Arrested Development; but yeah, the entire Capt. America trilogy is for sure the stand-out of the MCU, as each one is sort of it's own genre.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
The general trend I've noticed with Marvel is they keep dipping their toes into the darker side of their properties, but never fully committing. They're almost there with Moon Knight and the latest Dr. Strange, but they still hamstrung them for my tastes. Hopefully with Blade they'll lean into the nastier side of their comics, or at the minimum introduce the Midnight Sons. Plus they still have all the netflix marvel shows to draw from (since those characters are canon).

Fox and DC have had no problem doing more adult standalone films/shows, a good pile of which have been successful (The Wolverine, Old Man Logan, Deadpool 1/2, Joker, Peacemaker, Doom Patrol, Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad 2.0, Constantine, Snyder Cut Justice League).

Marvel is definitely not playing it safe in terms of the characters they've introduced over the last year or two. 99% of people didn't know who Shang Chi, Moon Knight or the Eternals were until Marvel pushed them to the forefront.
Shang Chi was great, Black Widow was good. Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness was one of the best marvel movie of the last 2 years imo, besides Spiderman No Way Home.
Eternals was mediocre and had a lot of cringy shit in it.
She Hulk looks awful.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The thing that needs to happen but probably won't because it'd make too much sense: have a separate division for the R-rated titles that NEED it (Deadpool, Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, bump up Moon Knight into it) and then there's no confusion for what's "all ages" accessible versus those that are obviously for adults/mature audiences.

DC at this point can do whatever they want because they know nothing is going to last for more than one movie so they've been in full YOLO mode. Whatever works, they're gonna stick to that for as long as they can, and try not to fuck it up behind the scenes like shelving Cavill Superman when he wasn't the problem with Man of Steel. Same for FOX, they got X-Men and X2 right, but shit went off the rails after that; and even when they nailed it with the first two reboots with a younger cast, then they took a big dump on that trilogy by ending with Apocalypse, and if the horse wasn't dead enough, hired the same guy who fucked up the Phoenix Saga the first time to do it AGAIN. Spoiler alert: he did and no one gave a shit about the movie the second it was announced. The definition of dead on arrival. And in the Mouse's infinite wisdom it's not like he'd ever bring back those that were cast and worked. The kid who played Cyclops works, Alexandra Shipp as Storm? Yes please. I forgot who played Jubilee but she was good too, but no - none of them will come back because they think people are too stop to consider them separate franchises if they do.

I hate the movie monopolization thats occurred with the comic genre

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
The thing that needs to happen but probably won't because it'd make too much sense: have a separate division for the R-rated titles that NEED it (Deadpool, Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, bump up Moon Knight into it) and then there's no confusion for what's "all ages" accessible versus those that are obviously for adults/mature audiences.

DC at this point can do whatever they want because they know nothing is going to last for more than one movie so they've been in full YOLO mode. Whatever works, they're gonna stick to that for as long as they can, and try not to fuck it up behind the scenes like shelving Cavill Superman when he wasn't the problem with Man of Steel. Same for FOX, they got X-Men and X2 right, but shit went off the rails after that; and even when they nailed it with the first two reboots with a younger cast, then they took a big dump on that trilogy by ending with Apocalypse, and if the horse wasn't dead enough, hired the same guy who fucked up the Phoenix Saga the first time to do it AGAIN. Spoiler alert: he did and no one gave a shit about the movie the second it was announced. The definition of dead on arrival. And in the Mouse's infinite wisdom it's not like he'd ever bring back those that were cast and worked. The kid who played Cyclops works, Alexandra Shipp as Storm? Yes please. I forgot who played Jubilee but she was good too, but no - none of them will come back because they think people are too stop to consider them separate franchises if they do.

The whole multiverse schtick for Marvel opens up the possibility for dakrer, hard R rated one shots and shows. Hopefully they embrace that more like they already kind of did with Dr. Strange.
Plus multiverse stories gives them oodles of teamup options and not having to lock the same actors into a role for a decade.

cavill got shelved due to netflix contract shenanigans (they had exclusive rights to his face/likeness for a period of time, which is why he didn't show his face in Shazam/Peacemaker cameos)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

The first 2 Xmen movies were fun for their time, but just doesn't hold up now, even compared to First Class. Though my biggest gripe with the whole Fox Xmen movies is that throughout the franchise, it's barely moved an inch, just jogging in place, bar for a few good movies, and even most of those tend to distance themselves from continuity (Deadpool and Logan).

I also have a serious gripe with how they handled the Dark Phoenix saga. Both times they missed the point of what made Chris Claremont's story so compelling and just rushed straight to it, hence why they failed flat on both swings.

I'm ok with WB treating DC movies as standalone stories with little to no continuity, as long as they make good movies and not something as offensive and unwatchable as the first Suicide Squad and the theatrical cut of Justice League. People often say they need a Kevin Feigie to run their ship, often forgetting that Feigie is a sharp and shrewd businessman as much as he his a massive fanboy. Sure there's a byzantine amount of BTS secrecy that everyone involved has to abide to, but it keeps the ship afloat. The state of DC and WB at the moment is in such a disarray: lack of cohesive focus, doing Ray Fischer dirty, the long Snyder saga, WB being sold to Discovery, Ezra Miller doing a ton of stupid stuff... it's hard to remain enthusiastic. I have low hopes for the Flash, not just because of Miller, but the long delays, switch of directors, making the 2 past Batman actors as marketing pushes over the title character... this is a recipe for disaster.

As for Marvel... well we can all blame their successful business model for making every other film studio follow suit releasing mediocre to terrible movies in a rush for a cinematic franchise, all missing the point of the slow burn. MCU are in a good position to explore other genres that may not appease the usual fanbase while gaining new ones in the process. It's healthy to have a diverse amount of content of varying degree. All these movies still suffer from a strict Disney house brand feel like a high floor, low ceiling quality to them, but these new different experiments of the most recent output do help them from stagnation and the inevitable superhero fatigue that will hit us all at some point, if not already.

Having said that, this has all happened in the film industry before. Even the big epic films of the 50s and 60s came to a massive halt that lead to the New Hollywood auteur guys doing small grounded high concept movies. It could happen again, and it's already happening simultaneously with a lot of current auteur directors and writers dipping their feet on both ends.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
finally took a day to catch up on all the marvel movies I've missed

black widow - meh.... it's ok. Some of the vfx definitely showed just how rushed things were at the end of the project. Some of the plates they shot were just terrible, and it didn't matter how good the vfx were, they were just poorly shot.

shang chi - unwatchable. turned it off after 15-20 minutes. Just couldn't do it.

Eternals - it was........ really bad tbh. edit is terrible. just no flow to the whole movie. Shot like a day time soap opera, and not like a film. All that marvel money, and that's how marvel shot that thing? ooof.... Characters are flat dull and boring. Just no life or spark to them.

...bah!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻​

Spiderman: No Way Home was better though. Overall good. Some parts were just kinda weird or fell flat, but not enough to detract from the overall movie.
I've been catching up with them slowly. I get them on 4K as soon as the price goes under 20 dollars cause they're usually worth it as system demos and I mostly like them. Haven't bought Eternals yet cause that one really does sound bad, but I'll watch it eventually somehow.

Black Widow - I liked it more than I thought I would. Florence Pugh is fun, Stranger Things guy is really bad at a Russian accent but at least he's also fun, I sorta like the family unit thing that it has going on, it's overall just pretty fun if not very memorable.

Shang-Chi - after about the first 20 minutes I REALLY liked this. I think it might be the best origin movie in the MCU. I like that it really goes all out on being some kind of weirdo Wuxia movie instead of just feeling like cookie-cutter Marvel stuff. I mean, the martial arts stuff is definitely brought down a bit by the integration of cool CGI iron man effects, but it's still a hell of a lot more fun in the action department than pretty much anything else in the MCU. The lead guy and his sister are kind of boring but the villain is seriously probably the best in the whole MCU, they got a really really good actor from some classics like In the Mood for Love and he is great. Plus, his motivations are a lot better and more integrated into the plot than most of these things. Overall a hell of a lot better than I was expecting, definitely one of the best Marvel movies. The beginning did make my head spin with the exposition dump and has by far the worst fight scene in the movie (cause it's between an old actor and a non-stunt actress and it really shows).

Spider-Man No Way Home - this is pretty good. We watched the Garfield movies and the Macguire movies in prep for it, and those Garfield ones are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. Like some of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. And it's too bad, cause Garfield is such a likable actor! This movie really was most appealing as a sort of opportunity for him to atone for that, and it leaves you feeling the warm fuzzies about Garfield Spider-Man, when his movies were utter disasters. Not as keen on the attempt to resuscitate Electro, but hey. It's pretty good.

Dr Strange 2 - I wanted to like this, and I loved the Raimi-isms that are in it (lots of dutch angles, scenes reminiscent of Bruce Campbell losing it while inanimate objects get zoomed in on and mirrors turn into water, possibly Bruce Campbell's best-ever cameo, etc), but it's really a big mess and not very involving. I also hated that it pushes the Disney+ shows. I'm not watching those damn shows, and this is the first movie that's tried to tell me I had to. I have always been a HUGE fan of Elizabeth Olsen (since seeing her in Martha Marcy May Marlene long before Avengers 2) and she's really good here, it's just too bad a lot of the impact of her arc seems to be dependent on having watched her damn show. All the alternate universe stuff with Rachel Macadams feels empty and worthless, and while some of the "alternate universe Avengers" were fun I didn't really want to see more of any of them besides their equivalent of Captain America.

I watched The Batman. It fell victim to a lot of the usual cringy "brooding hero dood" archetypes including him creeping on Selina Kyle's bedroom and then repeatedly invading her personal space in very uncomfortable ways because he "had to." It also skipped a lot of the eye-rolling machismo that Bale's Batman had, so that was nice. Emo batman with gross hair and eye makeup was a refreshing take on the archetype, at least.

I did appreciate the nuance around the Wayne family legacy, as a person Batman sucks a lot and is just a power trip/savior complex with a bunch of armament, so it was refreshing to have non-villain characters be critical of that, even if it seemed to be just moving the plot along. I will say I have grown very fond of Gotham's My Chemical Romance Penguin character, it was hard to see Oz as the Penguin. Gotham's Penguin was the right fit for Gotham's aesthetic though.

Batman is one of my least favorite superheroes, but I am also fascinated by portrayals of him and what they might have to say about our culture and society. I enjoyed Gotham a lot and am very curious to see where they take this rendition.

My only real problem with this movie was that everything else around the "Ryan Reynolds quips at Ryan Reynolds" gag was a pretty bare scaffold. I didn't even finish the end. I would've appreciated a story that tried a little harder. It was entertaining, I give it that, and they still did a better job at time travel than Tenet. On the whole it was just a better sci-fi flick than Tenet, which considering my core criticism is that it's not sci-fi enough, is also the most blistering critique of Tenet I can conjure.
I watched The Batman. I was enjoying it for a while despite the plot seeming pointless, mainly cause The Penguin is great. However, it's way too long, and that Wayne stuff that you mention as a positive isn't a positive at all. It's a waste of screentime the way they implemented it. Basically it's three long scenes introducing and resolving the drama, and they stick them back to back. It's like "you find out Thomas Wayne was a dick, another bad guy says he's a dick, then Alfred says actually no he wasn't a dick he was good, the end."

The worst part of the Batman by far is the fucking Riddler. I HATED what they did with that character. Utterly hated it. I know they were trying to make him creepy like the Zodiac or whatever, but it's just ponderous and idiotic and they should have called him Hush or something instead of trying to use a more recognizable character to just be generic serial killer man. "Riddles" barely come into it. And Paul Dano is unbelievably awful in the role towards the end in the prison scenes. This edit of him going NOOOO NOOOO THAT WASN'T WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN NOOOO with the I Think You Should Leave stinger was not something I thought of while watching it, but it's dead-on. And that scene, as laughably bad as it is, gets radically worse after that clip cuts it, when he starts singing Ave Maria! What the hell. Paul Dano is great in other stuff but he's so, so bad here.

And bad as he is, I'd rather see more of him than the horrible version of The Joker that they introduced. (I watched the deleted scene with him, too, and that was also heinous). This version seems neck and neck with the Jared Leto one for worst possible version of the character. I guess I'll at least give it a chance if they keep some of the same crew. Matt Reeves made some of my favorite blockbusters of all time in the last couple Planet of the Apes movies and he does pull off a few good scenes here, and I like the general look of it, the script just totally sucks and it's way too long. And I love Robert Pattinson in stuff like Cronenberg movies and The Lighthouse, but he's pretty much a non-entity here. Still, I didn't mind the direction they took the character, even though it was frequently unintentionally funny the way Batman came to crime scenes to investigate in his costume while the cops all stand around. Oh, I think this design of Catwoman is terrible, too, her hat looks even stupider than Halle Berry's. Dunno what they were thinking. The actual character is OK and I don't mind Kravitz though.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been catching up with them slowly. I get them on 4K as soon as the price goes under 20 dollars cause they're usually worth it as system demos and I mostly like them. Haven't bought Eternals yet cause that one really does sound bad, but I'll watch it eventually somehow.

Black Widow - I liked it more than I thought I would. Florence Pugh is fun, Stranger Things guy is really bad at a Russian accent but at least he's also fun, I sorta like the family unit thing that it has going on, it's overall just pretty fun if not very memorable.

Shang-Chi - after about the first 20 minutes I REALLY liked this. I think it might be the best origin movie in the MCU. I like that it really goes all out on being some kind of weirdo Wuxia movie instead of just feeling like cookie-cutter Marvel stuff. I mean, the martial arts stuff is definitely brought down a bit by the integration of cool CGI iron man effects, but it's still a hell of a lot more fun in the action department than pretty much anything else in the MCU. The lead guy and his sister are kind of boring but the villain is seriously probably the best in the whole MCU, they got a really really good actor from some classics like In the Mood for Love and he is great. Plus, his motivations are a lot better and more integrated into the plot than most of these things. Overall a hell of a lot better than I was expecting, definitely one of the best Marvel movies. The beginning did make my head spin with the exposition dump and has by far the worst fight scene in the movie (cause it's between an old actor and a non-stunt actress and it really shows).

Spider-Man No Way Home - this is pretty good. We watched the Garfield movies and the Macguire movies in prep for it, and those Garfield ones are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. Like some of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. And it's too bad, cause Garfield is such a likable actor! This movie really was most appealing as a sort of opportunity for him to atone for that, and it leaves you feeling the warm fuzzies about Garfield Spider-Man, when his movies were utter disasters. Not as keen on the attempt to resuscitate Electro, but hey. It's pretty good.

Dr Strange 2 - I wanted to like this, and I loved the Raimi-isms that are in it (lots of dutch angles, scenes reminiscent of Bruce Campbell losing it while inanimate objects get zoomed in on and mirrors turn into water, possibly Bruce Campbell's best-ever cameo, etc), but it's really a big mess and not very involving. I also hated that it pushes the Disney+ shows. I'm not watching those damn shows, and this is the first movie that's tried to tell me I had to. I have always been a HUGE fan of Elizabeth Olsen (since seeing her in Martha Marcy May Marlene long before Avengers 2) and she's really good here, it's just too bad a lot of the impact of her arc seems to be dependent on having watched her damn show. All the alternate universe stuff with Rachel Macadams feels empty and worthless, and while some of the "alternate universe Avengers" were fun I didn't really want to see more of any of them besides their equivalent of Captain America.

I watched The Batman. I was enjoying it for a while despite the plot seeming pointless, mainly cause The Penguin is great. However, it's way too long, and that Wayne stuff that you mention as a positive isn't a positive at all. It's a waste of screentime the way they implemented it. Basically it's three long scenes introducing and resolving the drama, and they stick them back to back. It's like "you find out Thomas Wayne was a dick, another bad guy says he's a dick, then Alfred says actually no he wasn't a dick he was good, the end."

The worst part of the Batman by far is the fucking Riddler. I HATED what they did with that character. Utterly hated it. I know they were trying to make him creepy like the Zodiac or whatever, but it's just ponderous and idiotic and they should have called him Hush or something instead of trying to use a more recognizable character to just be generic serial killer man. "Riddles" barely come into it. And Paul Dano is unbelievably awful in the role towards the end in the prison scenes. This edit of him going NOOOO NOOOO THAT WASN'T WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN NOOOO with the I Think You Should Leave stinger was not something I thought of while watching it, but it's dead-on. And that scene, as laughably bad as it is, gets radically worse after that clip cuts it, when he starts singing Ave Maria! What the hell. Paul Dano is great in other stuff but he's so, so bad here.

Ugh.... I'm going to have to back and watch the rest of Shang-Chi ....ugh... I don't want to lol

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

This is a very fair point, to be honest I didn't look too much deeper then its implications for the story canon in general. I definitely agree that the villains were totally lackluster with the exception of Penguin, who I did enjoy despite my strong appreciation for the Gotham Penguin.

Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow is probably my top "in my lifetime" Batman villian. He's incredibly creepy in the ways this recent Riddler tried and failed to be.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There was a string of great jokers from Romero through Ledger, but after the last couple terrible ones (and Phoenix who was good but probably wouldn’t fit in a Batman movie), now I think Penguin is the new streak of good performances! I like the ridiculous 60s one, Danny Devito’s great, and now Farrell as this one was great too. And they’re all really different! I wish they’d give Penguin the lead villain role for next movie so his scenes don’t ultimately feel pointless, but I bet they will go with the acid scarred joker instead.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There was a string of great jokers from Romero through Ledger, but after the last couple terrible ones (and Phoenix who was good but probably wouldn’t fit in a Batman movie), now I think Penguin is the new streak of good performances! I like the ridiculous 60s one, Danny Devito’s great, and now Farrell as this one was great too. And they’re all really different! I wish they’d give Penguin the lead villain role for next movie so his scenes don’t ultimately feel pointless, but I bet they will go with the acid scarred joker instead.

I have to agree, and I have a feeling I may be taking a minority opinion, but I really enjoyed Gotham's My Chemical Romance Penguin as well.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really consider Pheonix's Joker movie a real joker movie. He didn't fit the character at all. He was just some super depressed dude who could have been anyone.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can we seriously get a proper Scarecrow led horror movie Batman film for fucks sake? Fuck Ra's Al Ghul.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
And somehow incorporate Clayface in there? I've been wanting to see Clayface in a main role for YEARS. With CG the way it is now, it could be pretty badass if done right.

I was telling my coworkers I'd love for The Batman sequel to take place on like, the anniversary of the Riddler attacks leading into winter and for them to do a Mr. Freeze & Clayface combo. Unfortunately with how grounded that universe is, I think we need one more movie to introduce some of the more "mystic"/"fantasy" elements to the villains; not sure how you justify a dude who can suddenly alter his appearance at will.