movies you have tried many times , but never been able to finish

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by mongey, May 10, 2019.

1. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress, Ran, Kagemusha, Sanjuro, Rashomon..

Will (eventually) check out High and Low per your rec. :)

2. The906

The906 Contributor

Thanks fellas, I'll let it run since I just went through the new Tomb Raider and The Meg and just had fun with it (but left without any endorsement deals).

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Another one for me. Saw a poster for it and it reminded me

Heat. People rave about it. Tired like 5 times to watch is and just lose interest half way through. It ticks allot of boxes for a movie is like but can’t get through it.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

the second half is literally the best part of the movie....

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I loved Heat! I get how it wouldn't be everyone's bag, but, yeah, the second half is pretty fantastic. Plus, little cameo from Henry Rollins. ;)

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Well shit. Maybe I need to try again and push through.

7. fps

fps Kit

Watchmen. What a slog.

8. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

I'v never made it through The Da Vinci code.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Ha. I watched the da Vinci code last night for the first time. It feels like it keeps getting longer while you watch it. Especially the last half hour, that felt like at least an hour by itself.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I love the original trilogy, but hadn't watched A New Hope for years until last Cinco de Mayo I was at a house party, and it came out someone there had never watched Star Wars so we tried to decide what movie to start with, and ended up with Rogue One (which honestly I don't think was a bad choice, that was the best "war" movie of the entire series). After that, knowing that it cuts perfectly into A New Hope, we decided to just continue on through... And it really drove through just how low budget an affair the first movie was compared to what followed. Particularly when you first meet Luke... Once you can get through that, it's great, but the start is a bit tough just based on production values.

Also, knowing how Rogue One ends and the start of Episode IV is maybe 5 minutes after the end of Rogue One, where Vader has been chasing the ship the whole way... Leia is straight-up shameless at the beginning, lol. "What cargo? We're on an imperial Senate mission."

On topic here, can I count movies I've just never bothered to start? I still haven't seen the third Matrix.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I have made it through once. It came out while I was traveling around Europe And i happened to be reading the book as my wife had just finished it and I needed something to read. the day after I finished the book we saw the movie in Belgium.

It was cool at the time to how it intertwined into our travels but did try to re watch or since and don’t think I even got halfway.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Adventures of Baron Munchousen. While I've tried multiple times, it's probably been almost 20 years since i last tried.

13. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

I did hear the book was good. Was your travel intertwining coincidental?

This was so long ago, my girlfriend at the time was big into the movie when it came out. I, on her recommendation gave it a shot and couldn't get into it. Then, years later, I tried watching it again with my wife who also liked it, I still was unamused. Don't think I made it through once.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The book has some of the worst prose ever put to paper, from what I’ve seen/heard.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

the book is much more entertaining than the film. Definitely a fun read if you don't have anything else to read imo.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

At the time the book was cool. The whole illimanti thing has a vibe to it. But it’s not great writing that’s for sure.

For me it was I was sitting around in airports and on busses and had nothing to read. I wouldn't have read it otherwise. So there was no da Vinci code tour or anything.

17. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Yeah that mysterious illuminati thing through out history is somehow interesting, if it's true. Da Vinci code movie didn't deliver enough or something for me.

18. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

Took me 5 attempts to make it through the first Lord Of The Rings. I just kept falling asleep. Which I don't usually do in movies. Me and a friend who had the same issue had to watch it together and throw shit at each other to keep awake

BlackMastodon likes this.
  19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I can't think of any time I've given up on a movie halfway through and then actually tried to watch it again. Seems kinda masochistic.

20. The906

The906 Contributor

That Dark Tower movie, but I've only tried once and have no plans on going back. Got about %50 before I gave up.