MIJ Ibby Vs. MIA Kiesel?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Assuming the specs will be more or less the same, which would you rather buy given a spending cap of 2K max, a MIJ Ibby Prestige or a KIA Kiesel?

2. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I haven't tried a Kiesel, but given that I've played many Prestiges and MIJ before Prestige and never had problems, I would go Ibby. That's also based on all the reports that Jeff can be a PITA to deal with. If I buy an Ibby from a reputable dealer and have an issue, or just don't like it, it can go back, doesn't sound like the case with Kiesel.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

my kiesels were on par with really good prestiges. I'd look for a used kiesel as those can be great deals, provided you can stomach someone else's specs. Buying a new one is a bit iffier with the return policy they've been implementing over the past few years. Ibby prestiges do retain their value better though, so if you don't mesh with it, you can sell the old one and recoup more of your money than you would with a kiesel..
    :shrug: both are solid choices, it's really just a matter of what specs you're chasing.

4. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Quailty is similar. I think it just depends on what you want. If you really like one of the production Prestige models available, then you'll be able to pick it up quicker, having multiple dealer options, and like devastone said, easier return handling. With Kiesel, you'll have to wait 3 months not knowing if you'll like the end result. But you have the flexibility to choose so many different options that might fit your needs better (woods, headless, chambering, multiscale, fret size, fret markers, neck thickness, etc., etc.). But sometimes this can result in a bad guitar if you don't know what you're doing.

I have two Vaders (an 8 and multiscale 7), and they are both awesome guitars - a real joy to play. I'm looking to pick up a 6 in the near future as well. I really like headless, chambered, compact, lightweight guitars, and I also really like the thicker standard neck profile. I haven't had to deal with customer service though. Both my guitars are practically flawless.

5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

This is based on my experience and country.

100% MIJ ibby. They're cheap here used, and great specs and playability.

I have a Carvin which is pretty rare in my country but it has never played correctly, my old prestige played better.

I play music and Carl Kolchak like this.
  6. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I have never played a bad prestige. All have been very good to amazing. I actually have not played a Kiesel. They are probably good too, but I would go with the sure thing unless you really dig the look of a particular Kiesel (they are pretty).

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Quality is similar, but I'd rather buy a Prestige from a small shop that takes care of me, than a doucheknozzle like Jeff Kiesel. He gives Jeffs a bad name. :lol:

8. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Prestige every time. I’ve owned 5-6 Kiesels, including a few I’ve spec’d out myself, and every one has been sold. The quality is fine but you just won’t get the craftsmanship you get from a Prestige. Additionally, the resale values of Kiesel guitars is abysmal; it’ll take you longer to sell and you should expect not to make back what you pay. It’s easy to take Prestiges for granted because there’s so many out there, but they’re the better guitars all day every day. Plus the new Prestiges for this year have stainless frets on most models, so there’s really no downside.

9. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner Well-Known Member

It's hard to find an ibanez that's neck through and has a hardtail, so Kiesel would be my choice. I also like burl and highly figured tops so that kinda knocks out Ibanez as well. I own three Kiesels and they're all wonderful. People always talk shit about their resale values but if you get one of their more popular models with decent looking specs, you could probably sell it used very near list price quickly. Hell, I've seen some vaders sell on reverb a few hundred higher than list.

sezna, Razerjack and Carl Kolchak like this.
  10. Carl Kolchak

Thanks for all the responses/input so far, they're appreciated.

11. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I read this as how do your wrists respond to Ibbys? If you love Ibby necks: 100% MIJ Ibanez.

12. secretpizza

That too - for me nothing beats the profile and nut width of an Ibanez neck.

And regarding the tops, it’s all about waiting for the right ones. I just picked up a couple Axe Palace run Ibbys with beautiful tops and I’m pretty much in heaven.

The906 likes this.
  13. Carl Kolchak

Could you post of a pics of them?

secretpizza likes this.
  14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

For 2K you could get both a good second hand kiesel and prestige.

JerEvil and aesthyrian like this.
  15. secretpizza

Yes, I’ll probably do a NGD soon - I picked them both up from the same guy on reverb and they’re fantastic. One is Axe Palace, one is from a Killerburst guitars run actually.

16. secretpizza

NGD is up if you want to see them.

Carl Kolchak and sezna like this.
  17. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I own 2 prestiges and 1 Kiesel (all 7s). They are all great, but the Kiesel is the one I grab first. With Kiesel you get a lot more features for the price. For the same price, the Kiesel is a no-brainer.

18. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I have 5 prestiges and one carvin dc7x. I love the dc7x, it sounds huge and has sustain for days with the 27" scale, but the prestiges cover everything else. It's really a toss up to me. I probably slightly prefer the prestige necks.

19. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

In the best of outcomes, this:

But just to pile on: Kiesels are holding value better than they once did, but still take a large resale hit if you buy new. Ibanezes take a similar hit due to the crowded resale market. Hence, buy either one used on the basis of the best deal - Unless only a new Kiesel offers the unique specs you’re willing to take a bath on.

20. secretpizza

Jason B. has a point - it does look like Kiesels are holding up better now than they did a year or two ago. Just beware of picking up anything with wild bursts/crazy expensive neck woods/burl tops if you buy new, because those things will jack up the price and you probably won’t be able to get it back on resale.