Metal on NON metal instruments?

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone else play metal on instruments not often used in metal?

I play electric cello and its insane with highgain, the lows are so freakin grindy yet has a liquidy flowiness to it that comes inherent with bowed instruments.
Its really fun experimenting with EVERYTHING! All my pedals and amps.. Its wicked! Mind you im still pretty new to it so i kinda suck lol.

I often fit a tiny bit of cello into my guitar videos but yestetday i did my 2nd ALL cello video for a harsh fuzz pedal (that a builder sent me to demo)
Maybe some of you weirdos in SSO land will appreciate it! ☺️

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
My late friends’ goth rock project used upright bass for all the bass tracks, occasionally kitchen knives on cutting boards as a percussion layer and saw blades played with a bow.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
When I used to live in Chicago my band played with this band Shed a few times, they are fronted by a dude on a 6 string upright cello and features a brass section.

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
Sounds fucking sick! Been following you on Youtube for some time. Great to see fellow people using offset guitars for metal. :lol:

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Kaura oh coool! thanks so much! 😃 Yeah i freakin looooove offsets!! I always thought my pink jag was my fav but ever since i got my pink offset tele i think i might like it most! Something i never thought cpd happen... Maybe i just like em both the best equally lol.

@Matt08642 haha omg, i cant stand that! Such an eye roller lol. "can you really play metal with a pickguard? 🥴"
And thanks for checking it out! Glad it didnt disappoint! Im actually working on a cello cover of deicides scars of the crucifix which im hoping to upload to my channel maybe next week or so!
Should be pretty redunkulous😄

@gunch @KnightBrolaire oh man! YES!! i dont know how many times ive watched buddy play necrophagist on oboe (i believe he also plays bass oboe or contra bass or something like that)
Its like the music was always meant to be played on oboe!!! Shit sounds so damn wicked its ridiculous!

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll be the one to mention the super-obvious option: Apocalyptica. On the off chance that there's a few people who either didn't know about them or forgot about them. :)

Hetfield's even performed "One" with them when they came to San Francisco a few years back. I didn't post a link, because the only video is an unflattering, shitty recording that's not worth watching.
1669100144358.png

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone shared the gospel of Estradasphere with you?

Playing original music on any instruments other than drum kit and guitar and then calling it "metal" will always get you some weird looks. It's a long boring story, but I once played in a metal band who was hired to do the soundtrack for an indy film. When we submitted a CD of metal, the producer came back and said "can you play these songs again, but on, like, weird instruments and shit?" The band was pretty frustrated, but I was initially excited to break out the old sitar and tablas, banodeon and mradinga, charango and bajo sexto, etc. Eventually, I joined in on their frustration after the fifth or sixth revision with instructions contradicting all previous revisions' instructions. Perhaps due to the fact that a lot of our metal songs on guitars and drums were inspired by eastern sorts of melodies, once you took off the distortion and took away the drum kit, it pretty much just sounded like the "Great Value" version of eastern music. :shrug:

Anyway, TL;DC;DR here's this -
(the original didn't have the tabla, somebody added that in, but, to me, it adds so much)

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
@Kaura oh coool! thanks so much! 😃 Yeah i freakin looooove offsets!! I always thought my pink jag was my fav but ever since i got my pink offset tele i think i might like it most! Something i never thought cpd happen... Maybe i just like em both the best equally lol.

@Matt08642 haha omg, i cant stand that! Such an eye roller lol. "can you really play metal with a pickguard? 🥴"
And thanks for checking it out! Glad it didnt disappoint! Im actually working on a cello cover of deicides scars of the crucifix which im hoping to upload to my channel maybe next week or so!
Should be pretty redunkulous😄

@gunch @KnightBrolaire oh man! YES!! i dont know how many times ive watched buddy play necrophagist on oboe (i believe he also plays bass oboe or contra bass or something like that)
Its like the music was always meant to be played on oboe!!! Shit sounds so damn wicked its ridiculous!
He plays clarinet and bass clarinet, not oboe.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
WOAH WOAH WOAH... Hold up gang!
I was asking about SSO members aka YOU folks specifically... If any of you play non metal instruments.... I wasnt asking about naming random bands (BUT i DO love finding interesting bands, so proceed lol but im really interested in hearing personal accounts most of all!)

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@bostjan veerry cool!! Funny story too lol. Nothing worse than revisions uugh. As a digital artist thats just the worse thing, if they just want one or 2 minor things changed then ok no problem, but it never ends lol and im always thinking.. I SHOULD charge you double.

@KnightBrolaire like squidward! 😃
noted.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
WOAH WOAH WOAH... Hold up gang!
I was asking about SSO members aka YOU folks specifically... If any of you play non metal instruments.... I wasnt asking about naming random bands (BUT i DO love finding interesting bands, so proceed lol but im really interested in hearing personal accounts most of all!)
I have a project that is guitar and bass refretted to 19 notes per octave with a squawking parrot and AI-generated drums, but that might not really fit the category either. I've got an ongoing project I'm calling "punk raag" that uses redneck engineered instruments to imitate Indian Classical music, but I'm afraid that it might not be viewed in too good of a light in today's political climate. I'm not Indian, although I was trained on Sitar and Tabla by a teacher with a pedigree going back to Ravi Shankar. Anyway, it might happen or it might not in the future- I have a handful of demo recordings done and 2 more songs that need just a little more thought before demoing, then I'd still have to record performances worthy of public display, and then everything else required for a release, so it won't be this year for sure...

About 23 years ago, I released a demo tape (literally on cassette) that was sort of like Days of the New (ironically just before I had heard of them) with a acoustic guitar, pedal steel, mandolin, and hand percussion, but again, I don't think it's going to get most listeners to say "metal." I also had a song with a sitar intro that went into some metal riffs afterward, but I never really distributed it, because it really didn't match up to my standards. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the former around somewhere, but I'd have to dig for it, and the latter might be lost to time at this point.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
I mess around with mandolin, didgeridoo and banjo, but I haven't really incorporated them into my metal writing yet.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
{{{Wrote this before seeing the addendum}}}

Well, since the voice is an instrument: