Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
‘Shuggah gon ‘Shuggah. Regarding FT’s contributions to the writing (or lack thereof), pretty sure he wasn’t terribly involved in the last album either (make of that what you will).

I have a ridiculous theory that no one asked for - their albums alternate (skipping I and Catch 33) between groove-oriented and their core thrashy sound.

DEI - groovy thrash
Chaosphere - core/thrashy (intensely so)
Nothing - groovy, slow (not surprising as their first with 8’s)
Obzen - core/thrash (kind of surprising and welcome “return to form”)
Koloss - very groovy (my personal favorite overall)
tVSoR - somewhat another return to form, some cool high-ish intensity stuff throughout
Immutable - ???

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
It's inevitable that they will always sound like themselves; I don't get why people were expecting something new and out of ordinary.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Okay someone either call me crazy or agree with me, and I'm sure its been discussed to the end of the ages, but i'm relatively new to Meshuggah, but is it just me or does Rational Gaze have the worst guitar solo of all time? Is it one of those like "supposed to be bad" solos? Or what?

The solo makes more sense with the video

It's actually unironically one of my favorite solos ever, lol. That one and Stengah just kick off Nothing so perfectly. Meshuggah aren't as jokey anymore, but they used to do silly things quite frequently

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think intensity in a live setting is what Meshuggah is about, tbh. It's not like they've ever done any acrobatics or stuff like that on stage. They just stand still and most of the time you're just looking at a silhouette of the band. The lightning is an amazing experience, though, and I absolutely love the band live. But intensity? Nah, that's not what they're about live.

If you're talking about composing, I don't really see how the age of the band members would matter.
Eh...I remember seeing a video from the DEI days and they really were going nuts on stage. That was a LONG time ago and most of their success came long after they got "old" though.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
I don't think intensity in a live setting is what Meshuggah is about, tbh. It's not like they've ever done any acrobatics or stuff like that on stage. They just stand still and most of the time you're just looking at a silhouette of the band. The lightning is an amazing experience, though, and I absolutely love the band live. But intensity? Nah, that's not what they're about live.

If you're talking about composing, I don't really see how the age of the band members would matter.

ah yeah i'm not talking about them live haha

I'd say many bands who write and perform music of this technical requirement, with this kind of conviction, after years of touring (regardless of how hard you go on stage), working, developing, tastes changing, etc, is definitely prone to the same thing a lot of people in bands go through where you want a slight change of pace and not to go for the jugular at 100% like you used to, musically. all i said was they're older guys now, and the energy of what they put into it 10, 20 years ago, etc, might change. Whether thats better or worse is up to you. I thought Abysmal Eye smacked and the other two were snooze fests, but thats just me!

in fact, there was this interview from earlier, where Tomas literally says that getting older made them want to approach the record a certain way.

We spent the last few pages prior talking about how there's been all this time between the last few releases, Obzen, Koloss etc, I'm simply saying that, yeah, a lot of time has passed, if the music sounds different or less choatic and more focused or even maybe a little bit subdued, before we go speculating that Fredrik not being around is the potential cause for change, lets keep every other factor in mind.

Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fredrik not being there was just a theory on my end as to why the songs are lacking a little spark (for me). There may be different reasons. If the rest of the tracks are like the ones released so far, then this particular vibe might just be the direction they wanted to go in.

Which is fine, it just probably won't be a favourite of mine.

VGK17

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They released the album early. It's available right now for streaming and download.