Matrix Resurrections....

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Legitimate question, btw, if you were directing this I'd love to know what you would have done differently.
I already posted my alternative plot thoughts earlier - and I'd even fleshed it out a little more later on in my head, but in short:
Humans think they've won the war until programs realize they can also escape the matrix by taking jacked-in humans hostage (something something "ransomware" analogy). This takes the fight out of the matrix and into the real world, where the solution/climax comes from realizing it's been Matrix-ception the whole time, explaining why the one had powers outside the matrix. Maybe some new protagonist also has "real"-world one powers. Instead of "winning", they sequel-bait with "but what's happening in the REAL real world?!"

Alternatively, I think most people involved knew that making this movie at all was a trap. The best answer would have been not to make the movie at all. Or make a different movie that isn't billed as a direct sequel to the movie but shares it's themes or some element of it's universe or something.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Humans think they've won the war until programs realize they can also escape the matrix by taking jacked-in humans hostage (something something "ransomware" analogy)

Not a bad idea, and would've been a much better watch IMO, however the story-line would be flawed. Reason being is programs could still technically be in the real world, they'd simply need to be loaded into a physical robot body. All the machines that are going about their business in the real world are still machines with a program controlling it. In the first movie Smith said he wants out of the Matrix, and to do so he had to get the codes to the Zion mainframe so they can destroy the humans in the real world. That to me says that if they eliminated the trouble makers in the real world that were using the Matrix to free people and cause trouble that Smith would then be reassigned to some function in the real world, in the Machine City. Plus, I'm not so sure programs would want to take the risk of entering into a fragile/finite body just to live in poverty. Just wouldn't make much sense. Smith did it to try and kill Neo.

Then again who knows. They did say repeatedly in the films that any program that no longer serves a purpose is returned to the source, but if that is true and nothing is reassigned then I can't see why Smith wanted so eagerly to finish the job so he can be relieved of his duties in the Matrix.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Because I have no life, I've realized another thing that bothered me about The Re-Matrixening. The reflections. Did I mention the reflections before? Because the original films had this thing about reflections where they were almost always very deliberate. Like nobody ever had shades on without reflecting something significant in them. New movie I think threw this out.

And I get it, not every movie has to do every trick it's just...... I dunno, it feels like modern films don't care about that kind of detail anymore.

But just to balance it out - you know what, I did like the intro bits about re-creating the shots from the first film's intro. It's another one of those "I wish they had run farther with this idea" kind of things, where they had new characters live out a whole new iteration - and there'd be the opportunity to impress film nerds with how much of the details they got right etc., while handwaving the mistakes as the small differences in the new iteration etc.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Because I have no life, I've realized another thing that bothered me about The Re-Matrixening. The reflections. Did I mention the reflections before? Because the original films had this thing about reflections where they were almost always very deliberate. Like nobody ever had shades on without reflecting something significant in them. New movie I think threw this out.

And I get it, not every movie has to do every trick it's just...... I dunno, it feels like modern films don't care about that kind of detail anymore.

But just to balance it out - you know what, I did like the intro bits about re-creating the shots from the first film's intro. It's another one of those "I wish they had run farther with this idea" kind of things, where they had new characters live out a whole new iteration - and there'd be the opportunity to impress film nerds with how much of the details they got right etc., while handwaving the mistakes as the small differences in the new iteration etc.
In the entire first part of the movie every time we see Neo in a mirror that isn't from his perspective it isn't Keanu. Like there's a shot in his bathroom when he's taking pills from his left side and we see his DSI in the mirror. Equally, there's a shot of Trinity's DSI in the coffee table reflection.

Similar to how the first zoomed out shot from Bugs's perspective of Neo walking off the building is his DSI then when it zooms in it's actually Keanu.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If it's there, I didn't notice it. I remember watching for people's glasses and not seeing anything, maybe I missed it.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
If it's there, I didn't notice it. I remember watching for people's glasses and not seeing anything, maybe I missed it.
Really? I couldn't help but notice it. That's the whole point of the DSI reveal where they show Neo what everyone else sees in the mirror. Neo even reacts to seeing Trinity's reflection.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I mean, yeah, I saw it when it was spelled out as the plot point - I'm talking about scenes where the characters aren't actively calling it out. It's not thoughtful cinematography when it's in the script.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I mean, yeah, I saw it when it was spelled out as the plot point - I'm talking about scenes where the characters aren't actively calling it out. It's not thoughtful cinematography when it's in the script.
There are a bunch of scenes where you see the Tom Anderson character being played by a different actor, specifically in various reflection shots like in his bathroom and just before Bugs "sees" him. These are meant to be obvious that something is off because every time I saw one of those shots I thought there was some massive mistake in the editing. This is to make there be an actual reveal.

Old-Neo-and-Old-Trinity-reflections-in-The-Matrix-Resurrections.jpg

Andii

MAMMALHAMMER
Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I've read a pile of books since I watched this film. Thousands of pages.

The story is 100% symbolism. Just as the very first and "best" Matrix film was. Except the first Matrix film could be taken literally enough for everyone to enjoy the story line.

The story of Matrix Resurrections is nonsense without being able to interpret it. It's an enormous hidden message and every single scene is that way. The story being nonsense without being able to interpret it is to prevent the audience from projecting onto it. You either understand it, or you do not and there is no room for a perceived inbetween. The depth of the symbolism is too specific.

The themes are:

A deep understanding of Psychology:
Consciousness, the conscious mind and the subconscious mind as it pertains to bringing their disconnection into awareness

Influence
Hypnosis
Color coding
Technology
Archetypes
symbolism
Iconology
Spirituality
Mass media and social media
Propaganda
Religion
Sociology
Academia
Socioeconomics
Enlightenment

For me to explain everything would be "spoilers" and that is why writers/directors do not share the meanings of their films. The literal events that take place are not the story. The meaning is.

Last edited:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"you wouldn't get it bro, it's 2deep4u"

nah it's just an awful movie.
Yeah. This.

I hate to say it, but sometimes creators get too deep into their own funk and forget to realize that the audience hasn't lived their entire lives within the same headspace as the creator. Talented creators learn how to bridge those gaps and slowly pull an audience into the headspace they want them in. Untalented hacks and preachy whiners tend to forget about that part of the equation and then spend years babbling about how their creation was just too deep and impressive for the mere plebes in the audience to understand.

Not to say that creation for its own sake is a bad thing. I hope the creative team is happy with what they put out and can view the movie as they intended it to be. That does not, in any way, shape, or form mean that I'm going to pat them on the head for putting out what appears to most of us to be a mess.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've read a pile of books since I watched this film. Thousands of pages.

The story is 100% symbolism. Just as the very first and "best" Matrix film was. Except the first Matrix film could be taken literally enough for everyone to enjoy the story line.

The story of Matrix Resurrections is nonsense without being able to interpret it. It's an enormous hidden message and every single scene is that way. The story being nonsense without being able to interpret it is to prevent the audience from projecting onto it. You either understand it, or you do not and there is no room for a perceived inbetween. The depth of the symbolism is too specific.

The themes are:

A deep understanding of Psychology:
Consciousness, the conscious mind and the subconscious mind as it pertains to bringing their disconnection into awareness

Influence
Hypnosis
Color coding
Technology
Archetypes
symbolism
Iconology
Spirituality
Mass media and social media
Propaganda
Religion
Sociology
Academia
Socioeconomics
Enlightenment

For me to explain everything would be "spoilers" and that is why writers/directors do not share the meanings of their films. The literal events that take place are not the story. The meaning is.

I have 2/3s of a phd in this shit and I can tell you this movie was a steaming pile of garbage.

go watch dark city or read the invisibles if you want this shit done correctly.

you think the people behind Jupiter ascending are smart enough to make this work. fuck it you're probably smarter then they are and just from reading your post I have you pegged 3 levels behind blind donkey.

crankyrayhanky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched the new one on a plane trip. It's free from Southwest yet I still feel ripped off.
Parts 2 3 and now this one all have something in common- I hate them yet I still watch through to the end lol. These Wachoskiees have been exposed- the first is brilliant but 100% plagiarized frame by frame. Kudos to them for finding special fx people and bringing that to the screen at the time. After that, they make M Night look like an interesting film maker

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched the new one on a plane trip. It's free from Southwest yet I still feel ripped off.
Parts 2 3 and now this one all have something in common- I hate them yet I still watch through to the end lol. These Wachoskiees have been exposed- the first is brilliant but 100% plagiarized frame by frame. Kudos to them for finding special fx people and bringing that to the screen at the time. After that, they make M Night look like an interesting film maker
Hey, woah there pard'ner. I can totes get blasted on edibles and enjoy watching Speed Racer. Same can't be said for Last Air Bender. That shitshow is so horrible even an addled brain can't enjoy it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2/3s of a phd in this shit and I can tell you this movie was a steaming pile of garbage.

you think the people behind Jupiter ascending are smart enough to make this work. fuck it you're probably smarter then they are and just from reading your post I have you pegged 3 levels behind blind donkey.

Do you know the way to Shell Beach?

Andii

MAMMALHAMMER
Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain

It looks like you're having an emotional reaction to the thought of something going over your head without engaging me with anything meaningful or of any substance.

Ad Hominem​

(Attacking the person): This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

These Wachoskiees have been exposed- the first is brilliant but 100% plagiarized frame by frame.
Tell me about this. What are you referring to?

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It looks like you're having an emotional reaction to the thought of something going over your head without engaging me with anything meaningful or of any substance.

Ad Hominem​

(Attacking the person): This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

Tell me about this. What are you referring to?

You don’t even fucking know the invisibles you twit

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

they're also the people behind the first Matrix and Speed Racer ... Dark City is a great movie for sure, but isn't dealing with any of the same themes... you've been working on your PhD for 10 years with no end in sight, I guess? Don't think you're gonna make it bud

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
they're also the people behind the first Matrix and Speed Racer ... Dark City is a great movie for sure, but isn't dealing with any of the same themes... you've been working on your PhD for 10 years with no end in sight, I guess? Don't think you're gonna make it bud

I quit a long time ago. Actually do work versus sit on my ass all day spending my trust fund was an easy decision to make.