Matrix Resurrections....

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I wonder if the most interesting aspect of this movie was even intentional. They had Thomas make a successful trilogy of Matrix games and the studio was hell bent on him making a 4th, which he did not want to do. I wonder how much of that was based on real conversations, and if they half assed the movie in hopes of not reviving the franchise any further.

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
Not about the movie coz I haven't seen it yet... anybody seen Animatrix? The trilogy made sense to me when I watched it. Any thoughts about it?
I like Animatrix, though it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it. And the new movie isn’t groundbreaking, but it wasn’t as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I liked and care about all the characters, the acting was really good, the way the world has progressed is satisfying, the story mostly makes sense, action was good, meta narrative made sense, and the social commentary feels right.

Well, the social commentary would feel right but since after 20+ years people still don't understand what the Matrix was about they had to spell things out much more clearly.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I liked and care about all the characters, the acting was really good, the way the world has progressed is satisfying, the story mostly makes sense, action was good, meta narrative made sense, and the social commentary feels right.

Well, the social commentary would feel right but since after 20+ years people still don't understand what the Matrix was about they had to spell things out much more clearly.

Probably the same people who thought that the new Candyman was too "woke." I mean, remember what the OG was actually about (not counting the story it was based on).

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

The one thing I was surprised (and disappointed) was how little bullet time stuff was in there. Just that one scene. I would love more of the multi camera surround sort of fight scenes from the original. As a consequence, the fight scenes looked like a regular movie here, which disappointed me.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't watched it yet, not sure if I will but IMO the only two things in the Matrix Universe are the original movie and the Animatrix. Everything else felt like compromises to satisfy one group or the other but the bulk of the art in the storytelling were gone.

I've seen a few interviews with Lana and this movie seemed doomed from the beginning. Didn't sound like the story needed to be told or this was a new wrinkle that people needed to see. Felt like Lana went through a lot since the last movie and decided that the new movie needed to be made to paint the original story in her new view, which feels cheap. Just make a new different movie then.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think something that was interesting about it was when the movie referenced Warner Brothers and said something about "We're going to make a new one with or without you" and all of that. The scene in the corporate board room.

Yeah, in fact the Deus Machina name they used in this movie felt to me like a Deus Ex Machina thing about how they were just phoning it in on plot.

This was the only really redeeming point of the movie for me. The first half was a total mindfuck and I thought it was going to keep going down that rabbithole, but when it led to this, well that also made sense.

Also, they did GQ Morpheus zero favors putting footage of old Morpheus up. Lawrence Fishburn is a tough act to follow.

I tried to rewatch Matrix Reloaded recently, got about 15 minutes in and turned it off. The whole movie was just so......

1234712817-screen.jpg

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This was the only really redeeming point of the movie for me. The first half was a total mindfuck and I thought it was going to keep going down that rabbithole, but when it led to this, well that also made sense.

Also, they did GQ Morpheus zero favors putting footage of old Morpheus up. Lawrence Fishburn is a tough act to follow.

I tried to rewatch Matrix Reloaded recently, got about 15 minutes in and turned it off. The whole movie was just so......

1234712817-screen.jpg

Fishburn cannot be outdone. That dude is in a league of his own.

I suppose doing GQ Morpheus was their way of not even trying to compete with the original. But.... GQ morpheus was a tad ridiculous lol

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fishburn cannot be outdone. That dude is in a league of his own.

I suppose doing GQ Morpheus was their way of not even trying to compete with the original. But.... GQ morpheus was a tad ridiculous lol

I really tried to do the dude a solid and take him seriously. The saddest part is his outfits were legitimately awesome, they were just so out of place and completely overshadowed by an entire trilogy's worth of expectations.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
One of the worst movies I have seen in recent memory. My jaw was agape the entire time in sheer awe that something so horrendously put together could get past that many levels of production without someone stepping in and saying: "What the fuck are you doing?". Pissing all over the previous entries in the franchise with reckless abandon without any sense of tonal consistency or cohesion. Narrative was a self-aware mess and the whole thing felt like a hollowed-out corpse of the Matrix being pranced around, even more so than Reloaded/Revolutions.

2/10 is a generous rating in my books. Utterly bewildering how something so genuinely awful could get made. Don't get me wrong - I was smiling half the time out of aforementioned bewilderment. I enjoyed watching the train wreck but I'm still wildly confused how they let any of those myriad of god-awful decisions get into the final cut.

here’s the thing…the wachowskis…might actually not be all that good at directing movies.

Utterly and completely.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Just saw it. I don't hate it, not the worst thing I've ever seen, but I'm pretty disappointed, which says a lot coming from me given that I liked all the modern Star Wars movies. I appreciated the two main characters coming back, and I don't even hate the new Morpheus, but most of the rest of the new cast were just generic hipster skinny chicks with no character, let alone character development. The biggest disappointment for me was just having no real stakes. The old movies had a sense of scale, a sense of something being fought for and almost lost, etc. - as much as we make fun of them now for the cave orgy scenes and junk, they set up a humanity that was real and alive and the audience got to see what was being fought for. And with no stakes and no character development, none of the callbacks felt earned. Like they took some shots right out of the original movies that were cool shots when done in the original, but they felt out of place in the new one - like the bullets falling from the helicopter. Those shots were done for a reason in the original movie - to me, the original movies felt very focused and deliberate - someone cared about framing and reflections and details - so to take such a pointed and meaningful camera angle and jam it thoughtlessly into a lazy reboot makes it kinda sting.

I had forgotten Neil Patrick Harris was in this.... he kinda makes the whole movie feel like a joke. New Smith was incredibly under-utilized, there just to be there, and also felt un-earned. He was just smug, without selling any of the anger I feel like that character should have.

I thought there were some good ideas but in the end.... not enough to make me feel like anyone making this movie cared.

fact the Deus Machina name they used in this movie felt to me like a Deus Ex Machina thing about how they were just phoning it in on plot
The name was supposed to be a reference to the machine Neo negotiates with at the end of 3.

but since after 20+ years people still don't understand what the Matrix was about
You can't really decide what your audience takes from something. IMO there's a huge amount of room for debate over what a movie like that "is about". Some of its themes were subtle, but at the same time.... not really. I think maybe that's a big strength of older films in that they knew how to not conflate themes and plot. Modern movies feel very on-the-nose to me.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
You can't really decide what your audience takes from something. IMO there's a huge amount of room for debate over what a movie like that "is about". Some of its themes were subtle, but at the same time.... not really. I think maybe that's a big strength of older films in that they knew how to not conflate themes and plot. Modern movies feel very on-the-nose to me.
And Animal Farm is just about pink mammals that say oink.

If the audience misses the metaphor so bad that you're plot device becomes an unironic slogan against the values of the movie, then it's either a really bad movie or some purple need to be bludgeoned with the message. Show of hands for The Matrix being a really bad movie?

Being ignorant to subtext doesn't remove the subtext. Getting frustrated with 20 years of ignorance earns some leeway on subtlety.

_2d3eac56-98c1-11ea-b5cf-22f71a9413fe.jpeg

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

it's funny that you say this, when the movie literally stated, verbatim, "Warner Brothers has decided to make a sequel to the trilogy. They are going to do it with or without us. They'll kill our contract if they don't cooperate." People are in here "gee whizz was that for real!?" Takes two seconds to Google it and see that, yes, it was... with the guy who wrote X-Men: The Last Stand and Ready Player One, so it would have been horrible.

Then they have a focus group say the first things people think of when they hear the Matrix is "originality" and "fresh." Then they have Neo, clearly a stand-in for the Wachowskis (one or both, doesn't matter) completely lose their shit and try and kill himself because they hate the idea of a sequel so much. They have a gross, sexist dude bro who completely missed the point of the first trilogy say it was all about bullet time - he's clearly a stand-in for the audience members who didn't notice the OG trilogy were really about philosophy and allegory and the gun fights and kung fu were just window dressing. They do everything to make fun of reboot culture, say they were done with the movies, and point out doing a sequel is stupid. They make it extremely clear they aren't going to do a straight reboot/sequel/whatever... and people still didn't get it. It certainly was "very on-the-nose," but clearly still not obvious enough.

The old Matrix trilogy thought people were smart. The new one knows people are stupid and was written with that in mind... and people still didn't get it. All you need to do is read this thread. It's honestly fucking hilarious (and very sad, but oh well). The movie calls its shot in the first 20 minutes or so, basically nails it, and people are absolutely furious about it but that says a lot more about them than the movie.

This movie is Last Action Hero mixed with Sense8 and the old Matrix movies, jammed into a blender. I can't believe they managed to make this movie. It's amazing. It's definitely not perfect. 8 out of 10 at the absolute best. But it's the most interesting big franchise movie I've seen in ... forever, honestly. All these horribly offended, super butthurt reactions are a nice dessert.

The name was supposed to be a reference to the machine Neo negotiates with at the end of 3.
That machine was actually named for a plot device as old as Western civilization itself... deus ex machina is a reference to ancient Greek theater. Odds are pretty good that it references Neo and Trinity being saved from actual death by the machines but whatever

Last edited:

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it's funny that you say this, when the movie literally stated, verbatim, "Warner Brothers has decided to make a sequel to the trilogy. They are going to do it with or without us. They'll kill our contract if they don't cooperate." People are in here "gee whizz was that for real!?" Takes two seconds to Google it and see that, yes, it was... with the guy who wrote X-Men: The Last Stand and Ready Player One, so it would have been horrible.

Then they have a focus group say the first things people think of when they hear the Matrix is "originality" and "fresh." Then they have Neo, clearly a stand-in for the Wachowskis (one or both, doesn't matter) completely lose their shit and try and kill himself because they hate the idea of a sequel so much. They have a gross, sexist dude bro who completely missed the point of the first trilogy say it was all about bullet time - he's clearly a stand-in for the audience members who didn't notice the OG trilogy were really about philosophy and allegory and the gun fights and kung fu were just window dressing. They do everything to make fun of reboot culture, say they were done with the movies, and point out doing a sequel is stupid. They make it extremely clear they aren't going to do a straight reboot/sequel/whatever... and people still didn't get it. It certainly was "very on-the-nose," but clearly still not obvious enough.

The old Matrix trilogy thought people were smart. The new one knows people are stupid and was written with that in mind... and people still didn't get it. All you need to do is read this thread. It's honestly fucking hilarious (and very sad, but oh well). The movie calls its shot in the first 20 minutes or so, basically nails it, and people are absolutely furious about it but that says a lot more about them than the movie.

This movie is Last Action Hero mixed with Sense8 and the old Matrix movies, jammed into a blender. I can't believe they managed to make this movie. It's amazing. It's definitely not perfect. 8 out of 10 at the absolute best. But it's the most interesting big franchise movie I've seen in ... forever, honestly. All these horribly offended, super butthurt reactions are a nice dessert.

That machine was actually named for a plot device as old as Western civilization itself... deus ex machina is a reference to ancient Greek theater. Odds are pretty good that it references Neo and Trinity being saved from actual death by the machines but whatever

yUo JuSt DiDnT gEt TeH mOvIe.

no I got it dude. It couldn’t have been clear. It jus wasn’t very good.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I saw the movies - you don't have to explain it to me. :lol:

I stand by my :2c:, you can't control what anyone will take from a movie. That doesn't make the movie bad or good - it just is what it is. "People" aren't a homogeneous group with a singular take on a movie, and the idea of dismissing a movie as "bad" on the basis of the fact that some audience members didn't "get" the writers or directors intentions doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, there's lots of people out there who aren't very bright, but that's not the film's fault. I mean, how many people don't "get" metal, or don't "get" rap - is all music just garbage then? Lets not set our standards at "even a Trump could understand it". :lol:

At the same time, if you didn't like the original movie(s), why bother watching and criticizing the new one?

That machine was actually named for a plot device as old as Western civilization itself...
I realize that, but I'm assuming they were going for the callback, since about half of the new film was just Callbacks: The Movie.