Lundgren Black Heaven

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by sonoftheoldnorth, Jul 7, 2018.

1. BTS

BTS BTS

I emailed Zimbloth and he suggested it might be too bright for an ash bodied ibanez... id be interested to hear what others think about it, as the demos sound good.

2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

It will. He said something similar to me as my guitar is very bright as well. However, "The One" is the one you'll probably love for that guitar :yesway:

I'll be ordering a set of each for two different guitars in a couple of months. Can't wait!

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

My black heaven (7 string, ceramic, bridge) arrived Monday, got it installed about an hour ago. So this is all very much still in the honeymoon phase.

I put it in my Mayones Setius (all mahogany, maple top), replacing a JB that I swapped the magnet out for a double-thick ceramic. I liked that pickup, no major complaints (except it’s microphonic as hell and I need to repot it).

First impression of the Black Heaven is, wow clarity. It maintains the clarity and ‘dryness’ in the feel that the M7 has which is great. Slightly lower output than the M7, but not by much. I think overall slightly lower output than the SD it replaced.

In comparison, my big-ceramic-magnet-JB was a bit fuzzier and middier, less clear and less punchy, slightly higher output.

I felt like I was getting more treble than I need so I reconnected the tone knob on the guitar, now all is well. I had originally disconnected it to try to regain some clarity I felt I lacked with the SH5 and ceramic mag JB I’ve had previously in the guitar.

This particular guitar is very big and ‘wide’ sounding with a pretty big and resonant bottom end, that still comes though with the black heaven, but is controllable which I like. I’m not sure how well the pickup would do in a really bright guitar like something made of ash, maybe 250k pots would be a good choice in something like that.

This pickup, like the M7 I have in my other guitar, is on another level as far as clarity and punchiness go, which I really like. I can get why someone would say ‘sterile’ if they’re used to (and prefer) the slightly ‘slower’ or ‘mushier’ feel of a Duncan (or at least all the Duncan’s I’ve tried).

I don’t mean that as a jab at Duncan, as I dig their pickups, just kind of a feel thing I’ve noticed when comparing directly to the Lundgrens.

If my thoughts change I’ll make sure to post again, if I remember.

29DA8F51-E690-4F21-AB6E-FC9580201CCF.jpeg

Now I need something dimarzio for the neck, so they match.

C68560C5-3CFC-4598-B4B5-BC06AB8EBBD9.jpeg

It also came with a tshirt which is a nice touch. It even fits. I don’t remember if the checkout on the website asked for a shirt size, so maybe it was a lucky guess.

Edit- worth noting it’s a big thick pickup. Deeper, and the coils are slightly wider than the typical Duncan. The pickup routes in this guitar are very roomy and the pickup tabs are right there at the edges. Barely fits, but it does fit. Be prepared to route or sand if you have really tight routes on your guitar.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    BigViolin, Mwoit, prlgmnr and 4 others like this.
  4. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

So I installed my black heaven finally. These are my initial impressions. I like it. It's really clear and articulate just like mnemonic mentioned. It's in my RG7620, which is a very snappy and lively acoustically. So it MIGHT very well sound good in an ash bodied guitar. The EQ seems pretty neutral, I'm not really noticing any frequncies that are boosted or cut too drastically. I replaced a tone zone 7 for this, and I have to say it's easily my favorite pickup right now. I have an emgs in my 8 string, my other Ibanez had a nazgul in it. Which has a similar agression to the note attack. Very nice. But manages to do it without sacraficing the overall tone like the nazghul did. I play with my gain at about 65%, so I cranked it up to full kill and every note in a chord was still very defined. It's very nice to be able to hit a somewhat muddy chord and hear both the full chord. Very well balanced I say. So far it seems versatile, I rolled down my volume and got some nice lower gain tones. This pickup was a bit more than I would usually spend, but I must say the results are worth it. Lundgren did a terrific job on it. The one issue I could see others having with it, is that it will magnify all the bad thing's about your playing. Any flaws or flubs really show!

5. Abbath78

Abbath78 SS.org Regular

Anyone else using these on a 6 string? I have a ESP Horizon that's tuned to E Standard that I'm thinking about installing ceramic Black Heavens in. Wondering if they might be too bright though

Velokki likes this.
  6. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

It's statements like this that completely write off an entire brand make me not trust some people's opinions. I've been curious about the Black heaven too (and Lundgrens in general) but I'll be waiting for a more balanced review. I'm incredibly happy with my PAF Master for now though :lol:

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But c'mon...most Duncans are kind of bland and murky. Plenty of good Duncans as well, but I've found DiMarzios to be more lively almost across the board. It's not like they don't know how to make a different kind of pickup, but for a long time the market wasn't exactly clamoring for it.

8. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Thanks for the reviews folks!

I mean. Yes. Plenty of phenomenal duncans but that phrasing basically implies "okay it's now safe to avoid all duncans" to a lot of people.
    Lively pickups (presumably brighter, more dynamic) are a preference for some people like you and me, "murky" (dark and compressed) are a preference for others. I just...disagree with the use of the word "bland" there, and that descriptor being applied to an entire range of 60+ offerings one company has. Please don't take this as me being overly combative or anything, I'm just stating my view on it. :)

9. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! :lol: I didn't say that. Nick (The Axe Palace) did. However, I was asking for 7-string pickups and my only experience with 7-string Duncans so far has been a JB-7/Jazz set. And the JB is... well, murky. And that's being polite. It sounds outstanding with my ENGL for some reason, though. I guess an ENGL can make anything sound tight. Also, Nick recommended me the M7 for a full maple guitar. So either he gets a greater cut for selling Lundgrens or he just loves bright tones and everything moderately warm is murky to him. That's why you have to try stuff for yourself and don't fall into the internet bullshit.

In the end I ended up not ordering them because Seymour Duncan (unlike Lundgren) makes their "active sized" pickups in 1mm plastic housings with exposed polepieces. Lundgren uses 2mm covers with no exposed poles which affect the string distance, and even Johan Lundgren itself adviced me against getting the set I wanted because of this. So I took a chance and bought a Pegasus/Sentient set used. I'll judge myself if they're murky or not when I install them.

I still want to try some Lundgrens if I get my hands on another guitar suitable for them. But you know what, I'm a sucker for aesthetics on guitar and having so many choices these days I can go with something that both sounds and looks great (custom covers) with other brands.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I recently got a set of Black Heaven’s from Axe Palace for my six string. Great, articulate pickup, a little forward in the mids. It has a midrange growl to it that makes it sound interesting. I think it’s a great rock/metal pickup but IMO I would not pick it over an M7 for metal tones. I tuned the 6 string down to drop a# just get an idea of how it would sound in a lower tuning.

IbanezIsLife and Abbath78 like this.
  11. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

LOL sorry sorry I didn't mean to imply that I thought you said it :lol:
    I know it was Zim. He's had this whole "pickups that cost an arm, a leg and a kidney are better than Duncans or DiMarzios" thing for a while now lol. He may have his reasons, it's just a narrative that I personally have no reason to believe.

As for the JB: yeah, it's a pretty bleh pickup, we can agree there. The Custom Five however is a fucking monster. As is the Distortion. Never tried the Pegasus/Sentient, let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Emperoff likes this.
  12. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Very nice. The M7 is not only so iconic, it really IS the most METAL/DJENT/"WHATEVER MAKING ME SMASH MY GUITAR IN A CREATIVE FASION SOUNDS LIKE" lol but I do like to see Lundgren offering other things because it sucks when incredibly talented and versatile artists or inventors often have a lot more to offer but audiences make them 1 hit wonders, when they are so much more!

Thanks for posting OP and for the vids!