Lunchbox head for harmonically rich HUGE WALL OF SOUND?

Blackshirt

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own a Mini Rectifier 25 head and also the bigger brother Triple Rectifier 150 head. Yes, there is less bottom end in the Mini compared to the much larger wattage Triple head. There is also, a tonal difference as the Mini uses EL84 tubes whereas the Triple uses 6L6's.
That being said, my Triple has stayed at home since 2019 when I got my first Mini paired with a 1x12 Mini Recto slant cab and the sound is stellar with a lot of bottom end despite the size of the head and cab and at gigs people have commented that the Mini sounds clearer in the band mix than the Triple did as the Mini is more upper mid-focused due to the EL84's.
I have also, owned the Orange Dark Terror, Micro Terror and prefer the Mesa Mini overall. Another possibility could be a Mesa Recto-Verb 25 although not to be confused with the older larger wattage Rectoverb series amps. The Recto-Verb 25 comes in head and 1x12 combo with a sublime independent channel reverb.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
The Joyo Zombie and Orange Micro Dark are both awesome non-tube heads. The Zombie is tighter and has a real clean channel, but the Orange is more fun...

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know how some amps just kinda sound flat/lifeless and some seem to have lush intricate harmonics and sound more 3d and lively?

Well which lunchbox head has THAT and does that recto HUGE wall of sound thing?

Price range $800-$1200 Canadian give or take.

Im not able to try any out where i live unfortunately.
Sometimes i think about getting a mini recto but i hear they dont have the same lowend as the real deal, plus theres many other amps available for that kinda price.
Are you looking for cab too at the 800-1200 C$?

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MT 15 all the way. It's simply insane. It gets complaints about the effects loop being noisy, but it's an easy fix. The cleans are immaculate too. It's a gem for sure.

I recently picked up a Peavey Invective Mini head as well. I haven't been able to crank it like m MT 15 yet, but it's also a fantastic sounding amp for modern metal right out of the box.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MT 15 all the way. It's simply insane. It gets complaints about the effects loop being noisy, but it's an easy fix. The cleans are immaculate too. It's a gem for sure.

I recently picked up a Peavey Invective Mini head as well. I haven't been able to crank it like m MT 15 yet, but it's also a fantastic sounding amp for modern metal right out of the box.
Curious about how the Invective MH sounds and holds up at high volumes (band practice with a drummer for instance).

Cpt_Adama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Gallien-Krueger 250ML Vintage 80s Lunchbox Amp​

100 watts of pure power. Made famous by Iron Maiden and Alex Lifeson of Rush.
Two stereo speakers are built in and sound very good for the size but it has no problems running two 4x12 cabinets in stereo.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I absolutely love the LBX series of EVH's. You can get them for like $450usd all day long, and personally, i think they hold their weight.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmm a dark terrir eh!
Ok... DARK TERROR VS MT15

very different, i know.
I owned a dark terror years ago and thought it was awesome!

You've heard me gush about my Rockerverb and the DNA of Orange amps. I'd bet a fart in the middle of a crowded aisle in an Evangelical part of a rural town that you already know which one I'm going to send you towards between a ballsy recto clone and a low end fuzz machine.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You've heard me gush about my Rockerverb and the DNA of Orange amps. I'd bet a fart in the middle of a crowded aisle in an Evangelical part of a rural town that you already know which one I'm going to send you towards between a ballsy recto clone and a low end fuzz machine.
Umm... What? Lol.
"low end"?... U must be talking frequencies, not quality. Did the dark terror have a lot of lowend? Its been like 8 years since i had mine.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Umm... What? Lol.
"low end"?... U must be talking frequencies, not quality. Did the dark terror have a lot of lowend? Its been like 8 years since i had mine.
More than other lunchbox heads I've tried. Could just be me, though. What I consider low end might be different from how you do. I definitely remember a little bit of thump, though.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Think ive asked before but didnt get a real answer but WHAT LUNCHBOX HAS THE MOST/FDEEPEST LOWEND?

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My MT-15 did not have a big lowend.
I would do the 5150 LBX (Legit huge sounding)