Lunchbox head for harmonically rich HUGE WALL OF SOUND?

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know how some amps just kinda sound flat/lifeless and some seem to have lush intricate harmonics and sound more 3d and lively?

Well which lunchbox head has THAT and does that recto HUGE wall of sound thing?

Price range $800-$1200 Canadian give or take.

Im not able to try any out where i live unfortunately.
Sometimes i think about getting a mini recto but i hear they dont have the same lowend as the real deal, plus theres many other amps available for that kinda price.

jarledge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want a recto, they make mini rectos . They are pretty cheap and sound fantastic.
Maybe an orange dark terror, or something similar. TI hey sound really large and do a lot with an OD or distortion thrown in front. Heard good things about the MT 15 but have never played one so can't say for myself.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
MT-15.

I tend towards the doomier side of things though, and my jam buddy picked up an OR15 a few weeks ago. We had one night where we compared it to a lot of other things in his house and that I brought with me, and we were both pretty stoked with it. Can do thrashier stuff with a boost and sounds/feels great doing it.

I was sort of shocked at this thing, and we never even took it off the 7 watt setting that night.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know how some amps just kinda sound flat/lifeless and some seem to have lush intricate harmonics and sound more 3d and lively?

Sometimes i think about getting a mini recto but i hear they dont have the same lowend as the real deal, plus theres many other amps available for that kinda price.
A dark terror with an EQ in the loop is a pretty badass, big sounding little lunch box. If you haven't tried it, I say try it.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 Dark Terror

I have never tried the Dark, but I would never have traded the Tiny Terror if it had a loop.

EDIT: Make sure you use good speakers, "duh," but it made a huge difference the TT through my V30 412 vs through a stack of stock Seismic cabs.

Last edited:

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Straight up the Victory Kraken 50. It's a fantastic amp. My only issue is I had trouble restraining the gain. It was big and had 3D depth like my Fryette Deliverance 60. It's a great amp, not perfect, but great. Small and insanely freaking loud and sounds fantastic quiet. I thought it smoked all the orange lunch box heads out there.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need to go back to l&m and try that mt15 with a proper cab. Wish they carried more brands and actually had more cool amps actually stocked/playable in store

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Gmork FWIW Part Chimp uses those little quilter amps and their fuzz tones are positively unfuckwithable
not quite technically a lunchbox maybe but if portability is what you're looking for these could be it
there's a gear rundown from this studio session where they talk about the quilters a bit

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Straight up the Victory Kraken 50. It's a fantastic amp. My only issue is I had trouble restraining the gain. It was big and had 3D depth like my Fryette Deliverance 60. It's a great amp, not perfect, but great. Small and insanely freaking loud and sounds fantastic quiet. I thought it smoked all the orange lunch box heads out there.

Lower gain tubes are the answer.