Looking for pickup recommendations for specific sound

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by CORBS, Sep 12, 2018.

1. CORBS

CORBS Member

Greetings all,

This forum was very helpful in helping me find the right guitar to buy. Now I want to get the right sound. My main guitar, 6 string, is a Danelectro. Yes you can disparage the looks but the sound is really fantastic. It uses low output single coils (lipstick pickups) that sound great through tons of distortion. I was hoping to come close to this with my 7 string.

I have a 1999 Schecter C-7 with Duncan Designed humbuckers in it, and they are pretty nice sounding but are very dark. I want to capture that glassy high end and fast response of a single coil in something that would fit in a humbucker spot.

Any suggestions? I would prefer passive pickups.

Thank you everyone.

2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

If you want to keep the looks probably the best option will be going active: Fishman Fluence Open Core using the single coil option.
    I don't know of any other humbucker for 7 strings that can really sound like a single coil. DiMarzio X2N in split-mode sound quite good but are a totally different kind of single coil sound: much more crunchy and harsh specially because of the ceramic magnet, so no glassy at all...

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Try wiring up the pickups in your Schecter in parallel. It will still be hum cancelling, but the attack and clarity will be closer to a single coil sound and the output will be slightly lower.

CORBS and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Tosin Abasi's fluence sigs have a single coil voicing option. Haven't played them myself though.

Another option is to get a 7 string single coil to humbucker cover adapter. Then you can fit any single coil in the humbucker cavity. Or fabricate one yourself if you buy a 7 string humbucker cover.

5. odibrom

odibrom .

Go Custom. Depending on the shop you choose, you may find very affordable prices. I'd suggest medium wound/powered Alnico loaded pickups... just saying...

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Is this one of those baritone Danelectros? I didn't try the pickups in those, but I remember last time I played one the body was very.... resonant? Active? I have a feeling that the construction lends a lot to the tone of those instruments. I'm not sure you could entirely capture that in a pickup.

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Add a coil-tap so you can split the pickups into single coils--an option.
    Perhaps a Duncan Pegasus and Sentient combination would give you some of the tone you're looking for in a 7-string humbucker. You could also try a Duncan Jazz 7-string set (bridge and neck).

Zoobiedood and KnightBrolaire like this.
  8. CORBS

CORBS Member

Some options I was looking at last night were dimarzios, alumitone regulars, and bare knuckle p90s. I know with a heavy solid body guitar I'm not going to capture the dano sound, but I definitely want more treble output,strong mids and less bass. Thank you all for the suggestions so far

9. odibrom

odibrom .

Up the value of the volume pot... from 500Kohms to 1Mohms opens the pickups' tone response, almost like a blow switch, connecting the pickup directly to jack bypassing all other components...

10. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I forgot about the alumitones, yeah, split alumitones sounds really convincing for single coil tones.

11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

For the tone you want, the first thing that came to mind was a Jazz set. If you need something brighter, go for a Full Shred set.

12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Dimarzio PAF 7 string pickups are very bright and clear to my ears. They are not as bright as Danelectro singles though.

CORBS likes this.