Looking for Dimarzio super switch alternatives

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello there,

I want to swap the 3-way in my guitar to a 5-way, with a two volume pot setup. It's loaded with two Dimarzio Ionizer7's. Looking on the Dimarzio site, they have a wiring diagram for what I am looking for, but it specifies the use of a Dimarzio EP1112 super switch. That's by all means no cheap switch. I'm not looking for dirt cheap, low quality, but a suggestion for something cheaper with good quality is very welcome.

This is the diagram I want to follow:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You don’t want a low-quality switch. I have a 4-pole switch that is crapping out, and it’s the bane of my existence. It’s impervious to contact cleaner and just decides on whim wether I’m going to hear my neck pickup or not.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Ibanez VLX91 ($36 from ibanezrules.com), the Oak Grigsby ($24 from Stew Mac), and the Schaller Megaswitch ($24 most places I’m seeing) are good options, but none are cheap.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
The Ibanez VLX91 ($36 from ibanezrules.com), the Oak Grigsby ($24 from Stew Mac), and the Schaller Megaswitch ($24 most places I’m seeing) are good options, but none are cheap.
OP, VLX91 is what you want.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Too bulky and overpriced.
You can get one used for ~15 bucks if you're a bit patient. Tonnes of people rip that switch out because they buy DiMarzio pickups and can't find wiring diagrams for it. Lucky for you they don't search too thoroughly...

For context I've had the Schaller and the EP1112 as well. The VLX is the only switch that didn't poop itself after a year of heavy use.

Either way, all three are solid choices generally and well worth the money IMO.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just tossin’ this out there, might be a bit steeper of a cost than you want to spend right now, but Mad Hatter Guitar Products makes KILLER drop-in kits that are all solderless and has a ton of switching options available.

Whatever he doesn’t have available, if there’s something close to it, just hit him up, he’s great at modifying stuff to work for whatever you’re going for.

Stuck_in_a_dream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If price is a factor, then Schaller mega-switches are it, they are phenomenal IME. If u feel adventurous, FreeWay switches let you double your options, so a 3-way blade can be 6, 5-way yields 10, very cool.

gclef

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Vlx 91 is not the easiest to solder on.

Oak grisby is the dimarzio switch for cheaper.

Freeway switches are really nice and great quality, but they won't do what the OP wants.

I'd get an oak grigsby (to save a few bucks) and be done with it.

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Vlx 91 is not the easiest to solder on.

Oak grisby is the dimarzio switch for cheaper.

Freeway switches are really nice and great quality, but they won't do what the OP wants.

I'd get an oak grigsby (to save a few bucks) and be done with it.
Thanks, can I assume wiring follows same as Dimarzio? The switch certainly looks the same...

I actually emailed Schaller about my preferred wiring setup, that I couldn't find that specific diagram on their site. They just very dryly reacted, look at our diagrams..... Oh thanks Schaller! I have to admit, I don't have much experience wiring guitars, so this is a good start. But just a little bit over my head to actually figure out 'how' the switch works, so I can come up with my own diagram.