looking for a pickup which sounds like jb but has higher output and better chug

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
For a brief moment in time, forums seemed convinced that Blackouts were better than EMGs. Fishman Moderns seem have already passed an even briefer moment.

On the passive front, Black Winters' hype seems to be standing the test of time better than Warpigs'.
Black Winters deserve the hype. They're one of the best "metal" pickups that Duncan makes, and they can do basically anything. The only version of the black winter that sucks is the 8 string version (just a bad eq voicing for the low end on 8 strings tbh).

I don't remember warpigs being hyped as much as juggernauts/ceramic nailbombs around here.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Black Winters deserve the hype. They're one of the best "metal" pickups that Duncan makes, and they can do basically anything. The only version of the black winter that sucks is the 8 string version (just a bad eq voicing for the low end on 8 strings tbh).

I don't remember warpigs being hyped as much as juggernauts/ceramic nailbombs around here.
I was referring to general internet hype, rather than SS.org specifically. You're not wrong about "C-Bombs" getting lots of hype too though haha!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't remember the Juggs being ever hyped here (the opposite, if anything). The Aftermaths, on the other hand...

Last edited:

SubsonicDoom99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Wolfetone Timbre Wolf is what the Screamin' Demon wants to be when it grows up - more output than the SD, less than a JB, and better balance without being wooly. If the OP wants more output and JB-ish sound, Aldrich is the way to go.

well i went with the suhr aldrich and combied it with the volume/gain push pull boost the guitar already had

I think the Aldrich is definitely a good recommendation too, that would definitely work. One of the better pickups out there IMO.

BW pickups surprised me in that I expected them to be a one-trick-pony and they wound up being really good & extremely versatile.
Sometimes I think the marketing strategy for those pickups is deceiving in that they might be really good for extreme metal but they're far more useful than just for that.
I don't have a lot of experience with the 8 string version of the BWs but from what I saw/heard of them I was underwhelmed a bit, but I know people who love them so what do I know? lol