Looking for a beginner’s guitar

Davedamini

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've decided that I'm bored with the sax. I've played for years. I had given myself a break from the thing for a while to try to rekindle my interest in it, but it's just not happening. I played the thing for an hour yesterday and just wasn't having any fun.

Anywho, my new interest is guitars. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recommendation on what a good, beginner's instrument would be. I'd like to play electric, but it seems like an acoustic guitar would be the better way to go. It would cost less, I think, and that way if I sucked and hated it I wouldn't be out too much money.

Any input would be appreciated.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
Only thing that really sucks about entry level electrics is the pick ups. A well set up 280$ Ibanez and some aftermarket pick ups outshine what most people are capable of, and if they are capable of better the finer points won't be holding them back much at all anyways. Bridge finish might be cheap, tuners will be crappy, but you can upgrade all that stuff if you want to as well. What can really jump the cost up for an electric VS a decent sounding acoustic is an amp, but you can find a used 10-30 watt practice amp for under 100$ these days. I paid like 60$ for my bedroom Peavey Vypyr (sp).

On the other hand you could probably find a decent used Ovation acoustic/electric and go from there. I'd say 500-600$ tops is a good beginner budget in either case.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you decide to go electric there are a lot of things to decide depending on budget, type of music, what's comfortable for you personally, etc.

If you decide to get an acoustic look for a Taylor GS Mini, you can find them used in good condition for $4-500 and it can be the only acoustic guitar you'd ever need.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
the choice of guitar should not depend on what's cheapest if it's between acoustic and electric. What music style do you like? If it is electric my choice is a made in Mexico strat. Great quality, low price, easy to mod either electronically or just aesthetically, and no floyd rose

ixlramp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd like to play electric, but it seems like an acoustic guitar would be the better way to go. It would cost less, I think, and that way if I sucked and hated it I wouldn't be out too much money.
That makes no sense.
Buy what you would like to play, to increase the chance of this being a success.
If you buy what you are less interested in, because it is cheaper if it is a failure, you are intentionally setting yourself up for a failure, and will waste more money than if you chose an electric that is a success.
Besides, for a certain level of sound quality, acoustics are not cheaper.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like some others have said, if you want to play electric then buy an electric.

And about the "if I sucked"... You're going to suck. That's what happens when you start learning a new skill. Don't expect anything else.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
idk what sorta music you're playing but as a (I guess pro now, I have a full time job) sax player my hands love Schecter necks if you're playing an electric

a used c1 deluxe or something might be up your alley in terms of feeling

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buy a nice guitar and don't cheap out. If you don't know what to look for, get help from a friend who plays guitar. A bad instrument wlll kill your motivation and make the learning process a lot more painful.

Also pick a guitar you really like looks wise, you're more likely to practise regularly if you love your instrument. Put it on a guitar stand and "in your way"! to remind you of practising. Keep it plugged in and the amp ready to play at any time, even fifteen minutes of focussed practice per day will boost your skills.

Electric vs. acoustic: pick the guitar type based on your musical preferences.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you prefer an electric I'd honestly say get something about 250-400 bucks to get a truly decent instrument and get something like the Ibanez AZES. A lot of bang for the buck as is but a fantastic mod platform down the road if you truly like it

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd work your way backwards.

1. Set your Budget
2. Guitar influence and/or preference. May want to tone chase the sounds you know you like.
3. Don't be afraid to go used. If you decide it's not for you, it's an easy sell and you should get all or most of your money back, possibly even make money. You just will always get way more guitar for your money used when compared new, usually....

Personally I've always found electric fun and acoustic boring. The sounds and types of music I like to play are made with an electric so it's important for you to identify what kind of guitar you like listening to.

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've decided that I'm bored with the sax. I've played for years. I had given myself a break from the thing for a while to try to rekindle my interest in it, but it's just not happening. I played the thing for an hour yesterday and just wasn't having any fun.

Anywho, my new interest is guitars. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recommendation on what a good, beginner's instrument would be. I'd like to play electric, but it seems like an acoustic guitar would be the better way to go. It would cost less, I think, and that way if I sucked and hated it I wouldn't be out too much money.

Any input would be appreciated.
For good acoustics for not a lot of money, i'd look into the Orangewood Oliver M. I have one and it's super easy to play and has good build quality. it's all mahogany too so it sounds awesome. If you decide on an electric, it's hard to go wrong with a Js32 series jackson. They're 300 and under for the fixed bridge models and they play amazing. And if you hunt around on marketplace or craigslist some people let them go for 150-200 all the time

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I suppose you don't wnt to go past the 500 $ mark
If you're into vintage style instruments, both Squier Classic Vibe and Epiphone make quality instruments

If you're into more modern shapes, I think nothing beat Schecter in quality/price ratio

If you're into modern shapes and you're ok with purchasing second hand gear, nothing beats an Ibanez RG550 of the 90s

If you can reach the 1000 $ mark, I would totally suggest an Ibanez AZ as it is incredibly versatile

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Nowadays, a Squier, Mexican Fender or Epiphone will give you a very good price/quality ratio, provided you don't just buy the cheapest model available. As a beginner, just stay away from floating bridges. (Floyd Rose and such)

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most guitars by a popular name brand will be perfectly fine for a first guitar. Just dont get anything with a floyd rose trem or anything similar. (a simple strat style trem is fine)
Most cheap guitars are fine with a proper setup