Live metal band with bass from laptop

MajkSFD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi, I didn't expect finding a bass player in my country to be so complicated. What do you think about playing live with a bass track from a laptop? It makes sense?

MajkSFD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know! : D
In Poland, a lot of people are critical of the use of "can" instruments.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Some purists will be critical of it, for sure, but it's up to you whether or not you care about that. It can be done in a way that sounds fine. I saw Leprous a while back, and their bassist wasn't available for that stop, so they played back a recording of his last show instead and it worked fine. I still would have preferred to see a real performance, but it was much better than nothing. I'd rather hear missing elements sequenced though a laptop than have significant parts of the experience missing.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I say it's 100% better to get out there and play with whatever you need to get the job done than do nothing waiting around to complete the lineup. I'd say none of the people that are going to be overly critical of it are people you need to think about anyone. They most likely dislike everything including fun and wouldn't support your band anyways.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesnt in flames run bassless too? And dark tranquillity when i saw them iirc.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I know Peter was out of IF a while ago, I thought they had a replacement? That guy is gone too?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally I'm more a fan of the Russian Circles approach - loop bass live, switch instruments, play noodles on top.

But as long as it sounds good, do what works.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I literally do not give a fuck if the entire show is just recorded anymore. I'm just craving human interaction Ill go to a damn wiggles show, okay?

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've done it with my band, it will work.

As a result, after a few gigs a bassist in the crowd offered his services and has been playing with us for 2 years.

Do it, regardless of whether you get a bassist or not after doing it.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, just the bassist - probably no one will even notice. :lol: JK

5 or 6 years ago, I would have said metalheads would be suspicious. Nowadays, though, I think it's totally normal.

fr4nci2c0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My local scene is Bassless. Almost every band I see has bass on a backing track. It's completely fine however without a stage monitor blasting out bass the groups don't sound as full. If you can get a monitor facing the crowd that's on stage pumping out bass it will greatly enhance the sound. When the bass is solely in the PA people in the front don't get the same experience.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If you really want to go the full distance, you could sequence just the bass DIs, and play them back through an on-stage bass rig - so it's like you have a real bassist. Is it more hassle than it's worth? Probably. Would it be cool on some level? Also probably.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My last band went long stints without a bassist. So we hauled an svt classic, 810 cab and a boss octave pedal to fill the gap. Works, not my favourite :lol:

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you really want to go the full distance, you could sequence just the bass DIs, and play them back through an on-stage bass rig - so it's like you have a real bassist. Is it more hassle than it's worth? Probably. Would it be cool on some level? Also probably.
That's how we do it when our bassist can make shows. We run his DI track into his rig from one of the extra aux-outs on our mixer and then the soundguy DI's off his actual rack into FOH. Works just like he's there except the computer drinks less of the profits and doesn't engage the crowd.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Only if you put googly eyes on the laptop.

View attachment 114618

Attach the laptop to a Robot Waiter for maximum stage presence. They're worth 10k though.

915.jpg

Exposed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty sure ADTR are now playing without a live bass player since he stepped down. For the bigger stages it looks a bit weird with less of you on there but I guess its quicker to setup and get the set tight as its one less person involved. But yeah if you want that visual aesthetic thing with a live performance you probably would want an actual person playing bass on stage.